Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking dispute.

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 07:40 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking dispute.

A few weeks ago my better half parked in Lidl's car park and went in and bought some groceries. Then left the car in the car park and went into the town centre. You are allowed to park in the car park for two hours provided you use the store. She returned in under an hour to find a ticket placed upon the car. This was taken up with ticket disenser who said it was a mistake and to ignore it. However a few weeks later we received a letter from NCP demanding £70 for a parking fine! I wrote to them and explained what had happened. They replied saying my comments were noted (WTF ) but the fine still stood. Now I would have no problem paying this fine if it was valid but to fork out £70 when there was no offence is ludicrous. Does anyone have experience of challenging such a fine or should I just pay up.
Old 20 February 2008, 07:55 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Do you have the receipt from the store, or a credit card statement or something?

Also have look at PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice in the parking section, there is a case where civil clampers have been trying to extort money without any legal basis
Old 20 February 2008, 08:05 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Lidl's..??

Throwing a party were we?
Old 20 February 2008, 08:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

They will try and bully you into paying. Don't give in just so long as you have proof. Not to mention they need to prove who was driving to be successful.

Just tell them that as you broke no rules you are not paying. Invite them to take you to court where you will present your evidence. Ignore any bluster they send you and it should just all go away.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:40 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the replies. The thing that annoys me is the bare faced audacity to demand money when a parking offence hasn't been committed.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
They will try and bully you into paying. Don't give in just so long as you have proof. Not to mention they need to prove who was driving to be successful.

Just tell them that as you broke no rules you are not paying. Invite them to take you to court where you will present your evidence. Ignore any bluster they send you and it should just all go away.
I concur.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:56 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I concur.
You came, you saw...... And no Scotty I wassnae having a party but couldn't be arsed going to Asda!
Old 20 February 2008, 11:03 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

So although it is Lidl's car park, it is 'policed' by NCP..? Get in touch with Lidl HO and make a fuss - say you are a regular shopper ( even if you're not!) and explain the situation, and how disgusted you are with the way their car park is being managed.

You may find that Lidl pay the fine on your behalf...

I know it's the principle of it all that you are probably miffed about, but don't lose out of your own pocket at the end of the day..
Old 21 February 2008, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you have the receipt then the time you bought the goods can be established. Sounds like yet another NCP scam to me.

Les
Old 21 February 2008, 01:02 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
Lidl's..??

I park in Lidls all the time, never a problem
Old 21 February 2008, 01:06 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you have the receipt then the time you bought the goods can be established. Sounds like yet another NCP scam to me.

Les
I thought that too.. Receipt time and ticket time will clash so you'll be tickkidy boo!
Good luck and dont let it get to you - Cheeky NCP cretins!
Old 21 February 2008, 02:11 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Best policy is to ignore these tickets and not enter into any correspondence at all, and if you do mark it "Without Prejudice".

When you enter a privately owned car park you (as driver) are parking with the authority of the land owner and agreeing to the terms they place on car parking, as long as those terms are clearly displayed.

If you break those terms the owner will issue a ticket which is enforceable via the civil courts. However initially he won't know who the driver was, or who owns the car.

So he goes to DVLA, pays them a couple of quid and they tell him who the Registered Keeper is. He then writes to the RK advising them that their car was parked and they owe him some money. Only problem is that his contract s not with the RK, it is with the driver, who may not be the same as the RK. If the RK was not driving they could respond and say I wasn't driving and I don't have to tell you who was driving or they could remain silent.

If the RK ignores the initial demand the case will eventually be passed to a debt collection agency (who may actually be the same company but a different trading name), they will then write threatening an increased payment and court action.

However at the end of the day they often don;t know who was driving, so unless someone tells them wo was driving they cannot be sure when taking the RK to Court that s/he is actually guilty, therefore it appears they don't go to court!

If the car park is covered by CCTV, or there is an operator the driver speaks to, or you write to them advising what happened, then they know who was driving and a quick visit to the house can confirm identities. It is then easier for them to take action against the driver, especially if the driver was the RK.

So by ignoring them you are not giving them any evidence they need, and they are likely to concentrate on the gullible who get worried and pay up.

Incidentially a year or so ago I parked in a private car park, got a ticket and ignored it. Some months later got threatening letter from collection agency ignored it, some months later heard nothing. o still waiting to see what happens!
Old 21 February 2008, 02:13 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Incidentially are the rules of the parking that you can park for upto 2 hours whilst shopping in the store, or as long as you shop in the store at some point you can park for 2 hours?

If the former you are stuffed particularly as you have admitted to the NCP who was driving etc.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:46 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Thanks Chris, some enlightening news there. I think the rules state a two hour grace period for people who shop there. I understood this to be two hours free parking as long as first shopped instore.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:52 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Maz, just explain that she was cutting down on carbon emissions

I would contest it. As LG said, its the principle.

Good Luck.

Ant
Old 21 February 2008, 08:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
Maz, just explain that she was cutting down on carbon emissions

I would contest it. As LG said, its the principle.

Good Luck.

Ant
Any emissions saved will have been offset by all the hot air that has ensued I am going to contest it, as you say it is a matter of principle.
Old 21 February 2008, 09:26 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
Lidl's..??

LMFAO

As you say matter of principle, I'd fight the barstewards all the way.

Good luck
Old 21 February 2008, 09:59 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Any emissions saved will have been offset by all the hot air that has ensued I am going to contest it, as you say it is a matter of principle.
Actually I said it was a matter of principle.. i had to mention that as a matter of principle..
Old 21 February 2008, 10:17 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Actually I said it was a matter of principle.. i had to mention that as a matter of principle..
Doh so you did Anna My apologies.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:20 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Doh so you did Anna My apologies.
Maz