Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

worst traffic jam ever?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 10:17 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worst traffic jam ever?

well ive been in a couple lol but what about you? How long? Where abouts? how long would it have normally have taken?

Inspired by a thread on pistonheads so im just curious?

Like i say ive been in loads, once stuck on a closed motorway just after a big fatal accident (always a shame :-( ) that closed the road over 7 hours during the middle of a hot summers day, I didnt move for about 8 hours in total before eventually being turned around on the motorway and leaving at the previous exit.

But i think the worst was when i was at ascot, junction 3 of the m3, on a friday before halfterm, on one of the hottest days of the year. I left at 4.00, the journey home would have been along the southern stretch of the m25, all the way to junction 5 and then down the a21 to home, about 90 miles i guess, good journey time being 2 .5 hours on a clear run, with 3.5 on a friday.

Except today the m25 was shut in two places, with two further accidents around the sourthern stretch. Add to that an accident in croyden shutting the road, an accident further down the m23, shutting that, and an accident in guildford, the only cuthrough south of the m25. And everyone was trying to go every which way to get from one side of the m25 to the other, either through london or all the way beneath it.

I ended up driving all the way down to southampton and then a further 110 miles along the coast till home. Total journye time was 7 hours and an additional 120 miles on top of normal. But just to make myself feel a little better, my co-worker struggled on through south of the m25, trying every cut trhough tomtom would suggest, but it took him a total of 10 hours. To top it all off it was one of the hottest days of the year and the vans didnt have A/C, and he wasnt moving lol. Least i was, so i could at least get some rushing air through the window!

What about anybody else?

i think the longest traffic jam ever recorded was in tokyo at about 87 miles. I remember when three seperate accidents on the m25 joined together and made it gridlock, so that was roughly 120 miles, but i guess some of it was stop-start, so wasnt really a complete jam?
Old 20 February 2008, 10:21 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Over night on the M25 a few christmas's ago... Was coming from essax to the M4, If I had gone north I would have been ok, I went south and slept in the car :O
Old 21 February 2008, 10:22 AM
joe79er
Scooby Regular

i got stuck the other week on the M3 for about 3 hours
Old 21 February 2008, 11:16 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Moving abroad, just bringing the last load of kit from Bristol to Staffs to be stored, then going out with all family and friends for a farewell party.

Took 7.5 hours to get from Bristol to Staffs. (105 miles). In a full box van too. Nightmare! M5 was shut, re-routed around France i think.

By the time we got to staffs, the pubs were shut and everyone had left.

That one springs to mind.
Old 21 February 2008, 03:29 PM
Jue M
Scooby Regular

Me and the family spent the whole night stuck on a closed M5 last summer when the whole of Hereford, Worcester and surrounding districts we flooded out. Fortunately I wasn't in the Scoob, I was in my Navara with my caravan on the back, so we were O.K I pity those who weren't so fortunate tho.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:51 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jue M
Me and the family spent the whole night stuck on a closed M5 last summer when the whole of Hereford, Worcester and surrounding districts we flooded out. Fortunately I wasn't in the Scoob, I was in my Navara with my caravan on the back, so we were O.K I pity those who weren't so fortunate tho.
How lucky is that?!?! Get stuck overnight on the M5 and you're towing a caravan. Duck inside, watch some TV, have a brew, use the loo. Perfect!

Should've fired up the grill and sold some butties, there would've been a massive queue. or £1 for the toilet.
Old 22 February 2008, 02:30 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

The weekend we had all the flooding last summer. Girlfriend and I had to drive from Teesside to Cardiff. Journey in total took 21 hours, spent an overnight on the M5 just south of Birmingham. Police closed to motorway and left all the cars on it to spend the night.
Old 22 February 2008, 05:59 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jue M
Did you get your leg over as well???
Old 23 February 2008, 08:30 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

About 2 years ago on the way back from London there was a 37 mile jam on what i think was the M1??!

We travelled at about 80 mph for around 15 minutes and it still went on People at the back were sleeping on the roofs of there cars in the dark! lol
Old 23 February 2008, 09:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you do if you need the loo ?? in a queue ?
Old 23 February 2008, 10:18 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

The driver of a vehicle is allowed to urinate against the nearside front wheel of his vehicle - an old law going back to coach and horse days.
Old 24 February 2008, 12:06 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Sat on the M1 southbound for 6.5 hours due to two fatal accidents.. should have been a 1 hour journey into work
Old 24 February 2008, 10:43 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Played football with a bunch of builders in lane 3 of the M6 southbound for a couple of hours once following a big crash. Set off for work at 8am, got off the motorway at 13:30. Should have taken an hour.

It was bad, but unlike those involved in the crash I made it home so you have to put things into perspective.
Old 24 February 2008, 11:28 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Last spring, took a risk and drove up to Scotland for a pick up of an electric winder in from glasgow (1.1tonnes) in a van, when I left it was snowing, but the M74 was open. Was going steady 45 when the wagon in front lost traction and jackknifed on the incline. Took me and 10 others with shovels (I always carry a snow kit in winter) 5 hrs to get him moving again, by which time they had gritted the road in front. HPO's just stood there and quoted H and S. Old bloke ten cars behind had a M home and kept bringing us all coffee.
Got back with the motor ok, just late.
Temp was -5c with a strong wind.