Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snoring

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 07:14 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snoring

Now i've been told in the past i snore when i'm sleeping which i used to think was funny but the past 3-4 weeks things are getting worse.
I'm quite a light sleeper but as soon as i drop off i start snoring which then wakes me up
This isn't funny anymore as i'm lucky to get 1-2 hours a night sleep (in intervals) so i'm knackered during the day

I didn't used to think you could wake yourself up when you snore?
Old 21 February 2008, 07:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you overweight ?

Tends to make a big difference apparently
Old 21 February 2008, 08:59 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

As a really bad snorer, I was starting to get to my other half a bit! The cure I've found was a memory foam pillow - they are much firmer than normal pillows. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it really has worked. Good ones will cost you between £40 and £70, so before you spend your money, try a few other things like cutting out alcohol or the spray / strips that you can get in Boots.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:08 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I was going to say those nose strip things from the chemist.... or if it's really that bad, go to your GP.. I'm sure I read about some minor surgical procedure which can be carried out...

Hope it improves soon.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
As a really bad snorer, I was starting to get to my other half a bit! The cure I've found was a memory foam pillow - they are much firmer than normal pillows. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it really has worked. Good ones will cost you between £40 and £70, so before you spend your money, try a few other things like cutting out alcohol or the spray / strips that you can get in Boots.
How does a different pillow help? It holds your head in a different position or something?

I only ask as we have a heavy snorer in the family. Can be quite embarrassing when you are on holiday. Neighbouring rooms have been known to complain
Old 21 February 2008, 10:42 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Check out my comments on this thread:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-all-time.html

Too tired to type it out again!

Asif
Old 22 February 2008, 01:58 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Forgot what its called but my uncle recently found out he suffers from a condition that can be quite dangerous, he has always been a heavy snorer,

I remember sleeping there as a kid and waking up, i thought it was me auntie hoovering during the early hours.

Last year during the floods he was sent too work on the clean up, he was sharing a room in a hotel with his mate and during the night his m8 ended up going down too reception and getting another room it was that bad.

Anyway he started waking him self up through it during the night, and after people commenting how bad it was he went too the doctors who refered him too some spechialist at the local hospital.

They gave him a mask he had too wear for a few nights wile sleeping too record some readings. But before he could get the results he went on holiday. When they got back the answer machine was full of messages from the hospital saying he needed too contact them imediately.

It was something where your air ways close wile your asleep and you can stop breating. He now has too wear a oxygen mask type of thing connected too a machine when ever he sleeps.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 22 February 2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: e
Old 22 February 2008, 06:56 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Sleep Apnoea is where you stop breathing and can be nasty.

I've used a few of the sprays, couple were successful but only one had a decent taste that was just a bit "mediciney" rather than mostly clove or some other crap. Will look up the name later.
Old 22 February 2008, 08:30 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

I have sleep apnoea, i only went because the GF made me because my snoring was that bad, without trying to make you overly concernered if left untreated it can give you a stroke or a heart attack as your oxygen levels in your blood drop and carbon monoxide levels go up because you keep stopping breathing and as a result your body goes into panic mode and wakes you up.

It can be life threatening - at least thats what they told me when i went to the sleep clinic.

I was f**ked all the time dropping off at silly times, coming in from work having dinner then having an hours kip, i had no bloody life as i was pooped all the time.

First port of call was to lose some weight and sharpish, anyway i've dropped just under 3 stone now which makes a difference, but they gave me a CPAP machine which forces air into your airway and stops your pallete from collapsing which makes you snore, dont sound alarmed i may look like Darth Vader or something out of Top Gun when its strapped to my head but the difference in the quality of my life is absolutely astounding

I'm full off beans, people have noticed such a difference at work, i want to go out drinking again, i can go back training because i'm not knackered etc. etc.

Get it sorted mate or at the veru least if your a fat effer like me drop some weight.

Can be a bit alarming when the quack tells you you're lining your self up for a stroke at 35.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Old 22 February 2008, 12:08 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
How does a different pillow help? It holds your head in a different position or something?

I only ask as we have a heavy snorer in the family. Can be quite embarrassing when you are on holiday. Neighbouring rooms have been known to complain
I think that is part of it. My pillows were very nice soft goose feather jobs, which your head sunk right into. Very comfy, but they don't support your neck. The hard memory foam pillow certainly means that your head and neck are better supported and that seems to have done the trick. Can't say it will work for eveyone, but it has for me!

Chris
Old 22 February 2008, 06:50 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies as they all seem to refere to more or less the same.

i'm not overweight? well tbh i'm like a pregnant greyhound (thin but have a big belly - always done manual jobs so don't know why that developed, maybe middle aged spread?)

with the masks - do you have to wear them every night for life?

I guess stopping breathing while asleep would be a peaceful way to go
Old 22 February 2008, 09:10 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
thanks for the replies as they all seem to refere to more or less the same.

i'm not overweight? well tbh i'm like a pregnant greyhound (thin but have a big belly - always done manual jobs so don't know why that developed, maybe middle aged spread?)

with the masks - do you have to wear them every night for life?

I guess stopping breathing while asleep would be a peaceful way to go
Are you fat around the face? this can be a problem, you dont have to be a fat **** like me to have sleep aponea.

I wear my mask every night - i dont have to but it gives me a quality of sleep i never knew existed, i'll wont need to wear it when i drop a bit more weight.

As for the stopping breathing well not really a peaceful way to go, as some people who have suffered this have had strokes in their sleep, woke up to find they are paralysed down one side.

not trying to shock you mate but honestly, get it checked out. I feel 10 times better for it and wish i had done this years ago.

let us know how you go on.
Old 22 February 2008, 11:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Don't get me started on snoring

Jesus, my other half sound like Battersea dogs home when he starts. The spare bed has had some use lately

He drinks a pint of milk before bed and like his cheese too. All notorious for making snoring worse.
Old 23 February 2008, 12:26 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Me uncle isnt overwight. Probably the fittest person i know even though hes in his late 50s.

He has too wear the mask when ever he sleeps for rest of his life though. He used too always have a sleep int he works van but cant even do that now, they said if he must he has too find a power supply too connect it too.

He had too quit drinking aswell.
Old 23 February 2008, 01:35 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by The Chief
Hi mate

I have sleep apnoea, i only went because the GF made me because my snoring was that bad, without trying to make you overly concernered if left untreated it can give you a stroke or a heart attack as your oxygen levels in your blood drop and carbon monoxide levels go up because you keep stopping breathing and as a result your body goes into panic mode and wakes you up.

It can be life threatening - at least thats what they told me when i went to the sleep clinic.

I was f**ked all the time dropping off at silly times, coming in from work having dinner then having an hours kip, i had no bloody life as i was pooped all the time.

First port of call was to lose some weight and sharpish, anyway i've dropped just under 3 stone now which makes a difference, but they gave me a CPAP machine which forces air into your airway and stops your pallete from collapsing which makes you snore, dont sound alarmed i may look like Darth Vader or something out of Top Gun when its strapped to my head but the difference in the quality of my life is absolutely astounding

I'm full off beans, people have noticed such a difference at work, i want to go out drinking again, i can go back training because i'm not knackered etc. etc.

Get it sorted mate or at the veru least if your a fat effer like me drop some weight.

Can be a bit alarming when the quack tells you you're lining your self up for a stroke at 35.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions
i've got osa and use a c pap machine as well.i use it every night and life is so much better

Last edited by bootsy; 23 February 2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:25 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

To add to the above, snoring can be a serious condition. Go to the docs.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:36 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Another CPAP user here.

Anyone use the Sleep Clinic at Charing X? Just curious.

To the OP there are various sleep disorders. Also, it may be a symptom of something else.

Best get it checked out by a professional.

Asif
Old 23 February 2008, 02:43 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i go to papworth
Old 23 February 2008, 01:54 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

blimey the masks seem to be very common - never heard of anyone having to wear 1 before this post started (unless you were michael jackson)

how do you manage to sleep with them on as they must be uncomfortable when turning over in bed?

i'm going to the docs in a couple of weeks for another reason so will ask his advice on the snoring problem

thanks for all the replies
Old 23 February 2008, 04:01 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem mate - the benefits by far outweigh the minuses, this is a picture - although there is another part to it - a water tank so your mouth doesn't dry up too much its still a very portable device.

This is the one i have btw.

S8 Elite CPAP with bag, hose and manuals

S8 Elite CPAP with bag, hose and manuals

Put it one way, i used to get up 4-5 times in the night, now i go to bed at 1am or so and sleep right through until 7am.

Imagine having the best nights sleep ever - thats what it is like, you will notice the difference within 24-48 hours, and you will be convinced.

I cant tell you how much more energy and how better i feel by having this.