Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I am an irresponsible dog owner.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 09:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am an irresponsible dog owner.

There you have it. I fully admit it.

I take my dog for 30 mins walk every night round the streets, almost always off the lead.

Told you I'm irresponsible.

The streets in question are incredibly quiet as they're a wealthy suburban backwater where one is considered poor if one is seen walking, I'll be lucky to see 5 pedestrians and 5 cars in that time.

I've just been shouted at by a houseowner, for the third time in a year, who says my dog should always be on the lead in public.

The reason she says this is because when she opens her drive gates to get the car in to her million-pound house while I'm walking past on the other side of the street, her boxer ("guard" dog always left to roam the property, who might get a 200m walk once a week) will probably run out onto the street and attack my dog.

Therefore, I'm irresponsible for having mine off the lead in a public place.

I don't expect to change my behaviour.

There, just to get that off my chest. Thanks for reading
Old 21 February 2008, 09:46 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time shout back 'fukc of and get a life ya auld slapper'

If her dog runs out and attacks yours, it's her dog which is out of control, not yours, I hate arseholes like her
Old 21 February 2008, 09:53 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Chain and padlock her gates closed so her dog won't get out, problem solved
Old 21 February 2008, 09:55 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

LOL, I got told my dog should be on a lead in a public park the other day by some old bat just because she's a staffie and they're "viscious".

I told her to get a life or words to that effect and continued on my way
Old 21 February 2008, 09:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We've got a guy around here that lets his dog roam off the lead when it's on heat and then has a go at other dog walkers for 'letting' their dog get randy with his......

When we first moved here (small hamlet) I always used to walk one of my dogs on the lead 'cos he wasn't keen on some other dogs around here.
I used to get pissed off with people telling me Ted was a nasty dog because he'd go on the defensive when THEIR dog, off it's lead, came up to him.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:06 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by chris singleton
LOL, I got told my dog should be on a lead in a public park the other day by some old bat just because she's a staffie and they're "viscious".

I told her to get a life or words to that effect and continued on my way

LOL.. what a stereotype.... i was in the pet store with my sisters staffie last week and 2 old biddies came past.. one said oh what a lovely doggy..' and the other said.. oh my neighbour has got one of those, and it bit me.. they are dangerous.' she then proceeded to shove her butt-ugly face at my sisters pup.. talk about trying to scare a dog into attack!! You should never bend over a dog you don't know

He is such a softie though - I took him for a quick amble down by the river last week, and he was terrorised by a really vicious dog.... the size of it was amazing.. yes he was frightened by a yorkie... talk about a bloody wuss!
Old 21 February 2008, 10:07 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
Chain and padlock her gates closed so her dog won't get out, problem solved
Excellent idea, that would be so funny to watch as the cow tried to get her car out!
Old 21 February 2008, 10:09 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

TtB

Old 21 February 2008, 10:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Anybody walking a dog off the lead is irresponsible, end of. Way too many ifs present themselves and you then have no control over the majority of dogs to prevent a potential disaster.

Oh you could say in your defence "But my dog's never done that before"
Old 21 February 2008, 10:11 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Brendan, by walking your dog you are out of order. Think of those that don't have the time to walk theirs.

How jealous are you making their dog's?

Come on, think of the poor dog's that are ill treated.

**Thinks** Now tell them to sling their hook.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:15 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Did your dog poop in the street and did you leave the poop there? If so, you are irresponsible, if not, you're not so tell them to take a (paraphrases) "portugese flying fack in a rolling doughnut".
Old 21 February 2008, 10:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Mine is always on a lead. Unless in the home or in a secure area where NO ONE else will or can be.

Not saying you are irresponsible, different case, different merits. Just annoys the hell out of me people who let their dog run over with the line "its ok, he's fine"
I guess if you saw someone to make that comment, they have a point to make and a right to make it.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:18 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Mine is always on a lead. Unless in the home or in a secure area where NO ONE else will or can be.

Not saying you are irresponsible, different case, different merits. Just annoys the hell out of me people who let their dog run over with the line "its ok, he's fine"
I guess if you saw someone to make that comment, they have a point to make and a right to make it.
Snazy, if some one says "Its ok, he's fine" their probably a decent person who know's their dog. It's the arseholes that just snear you need to wonder about.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Snazy, if some one says "Its ok, he's fine" their probably a decent person who know's their dog. It's the arseholes that just snear you need to wonder about.
There's no such thing as 'my dog's fine', he or she could be quite easily annoying the **** off mine and then he or she gets hurt unless I command otherwise, when all I want to be doing too is to have a peaceful time.

If their dog is then aggressive I have to give my dog a fair chance and drop his lead and get the **** out of there.

Leads and leads prevent hassle.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:29 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

I'm of the stance that if your dog is trained to the level that you have re-call and you are positive of the dogs nature and temprament, then having the dog off the lead is do-able.

However if you are one of those people who have a dog purely as a status symbol, or someone who has chosen completely the wrong breed of dog for their handling abilities, and level of understanding about that breed, then the dog should be on a lead - 100% of the time.

So many times have I been out with our dog (s) over the years, and have come across people who have literally no idea on how to control their animal.. you see them chasing the dog literally screaming their name trying to get them to come back... and wondering why other dog owners become so frustrated when the uncontrolled dog becomes a nuisance or at worst a physical threat.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:32 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Spoon, the only experience I have is walking mates dog's that are genuinely 'fine'.

If there seemed to be a problem then I'd have them back on the lead without question. I guess not all people are the same.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:41 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
I'm of the stance that if your dog is trained to the level that you have re-call and you are positive of the dogs nature and temprament, then having the dog off the lead is do-able.
Unfortunately you're in denial then and it's temperament . One of my dogs is SchH3 to World championship standard and will basically do anything I ask it to. He however isn't the problem and could safely be walked off the lead.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:44 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Unfortunately you're in denial then and it's temperament . One of my dogs is SchH3 to World championship standard and will basically do anything I ask it to. He however isn't the problem and could safely be walked off the lead.
Why am i in denial?

I think you've just said what I said but in a shorter sentence. If you are happy with your dog being walked safely off the lead then it is do-able - I agree it is the other dogs which are the problem..

Oh and i know it's temperament but I just couldnt be **** changing it
Old 21 February 2008, 10:45 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Spoon, the only experience I have is walking mates dog's that are genuinely 'fine'.

If there seemed to be a problem then I'd have them back on the lead without question. I guess not all people are the same.
You're damn right, Odds. The times I've had people tell me their dogs are fine and they then launch at mine only to be caught first by a full on jaw grip.

Police dogs are very highly trained but very civil by nature too and won't be petted for obvious reasons. You can't say a Police dog is untrained if he bites you. You may just have got too close and the handler wasn't watching that closely.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:48 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

My view is that if your dog is trained then you can walk it off lead in a public place but you shouldn't let it approach other dogs on leads as you don't know their temperament or owners views...
Old 21 February 2008, 10:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Why am i in denial?

I think you've just said what I said but in a shorter sentence. If you are happy with your dog being walked safely off the lead then it is do-able - I agree it is the other dogs which are the problem..

Oh and i know it's temperament but I just couldnt be **** changing it
That's the point, I should be if anyone but I'm not as I know what can happen and my dog won't be chewing children by mistake.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darren...
My view is that if your dog is trained then you can walk it off lead in a public place but you shouldn't let it approach other dogs on leads as you don't know their temperament or owners views...
Personally I'd say dogs have no right being off lead in a public place. I respect other people that genuinely fear dogs and shouldn't have to put up with loose dogs around.

I know some blokes that will crumble at the sight of my dogs no matter how much I showed them the extent of their training. Fear is fear however irrationable.

Brendan should be shot and fed to the neighbours dogs.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

From experience, its not.
Fine to me means, he will not approach you or your dog, wont bother you, and will not intimidate someone who is afraid of dogs.

And not, its ok he wont bite or start a fight.

I paid a large sum of money for my dog, take pride in his health, and looking after him. I dont want some dirty mutt biting him, jumping all over him or giving the poor sod fleas lol.

Sorry, but to me dogs should be under control if there is any risk of them coming in contact with ANYONE who may not desire that contact.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:01 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

That's the point, I should be if anyone but I'm not as I know what can happen and my dog won't be chewing children by mistake.
Ah, I'm with you now Again I think it's down to *that word I can't seem to spell tonight* and the breed of your dog.. i didn't say it's okay to do it all the time, but merely said it was do-able.. obviously there are situations where you dog should be leashed... amongst children, who are not familiar with the animal is one of them..

Some people think children should be on leads, but thats another discussion all together
Old 21 February 2008, 11:04 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd say dogs have no right being off lead in a public place. I respect other people that genuinely fear dogs and shouldn't have to put up with loose dogs around.

I know some blokes that will crumble at the sight of my dogs no matter how much I showed them the extent of their training. Fear is fear however irrationable.

Brendan should be shot and fed to the neighbours dogs.
Out of interest, what do you class as a public place? In the main, our dog is walked in pretty isolated woods, and we only come across the odd rambler etc.. I think this is fine.. however, when down by the river or in the high street he is leashed..

i don't agree with people who allow their dogs to run free on roads etc..
Old 21 February 2008, 11:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Ah, I'm with you now Again I think it's down to *that word I can't seem to spell tonight* and the breed of your dog.. i didn't say it's okay to do it all the time, but merely said it was do-able.. obviously there are situations where you dog should be leashed... amongst children, who are not familiar with the animal is one of them..

Some people think children should be on leads, but thats another discussion all together
lol to be fair most of the little chavvies you see walking round with their dogs, would be better on the lead than their seemingly well behaved dogs!

At the end of the day, my last dog who I worked, was very obedient, always came when called, sat, lay, waited etc all on command from many metres away, but was only ever off the lead in closed compounds and never in a public place.
My Mal will not be let to run free in public either. In closed exercise areas of appropriate places, and other secure places, well thats another matter
Old 21 February 2008, 11:10 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what do you class as a public place? In the main, our dog is walked in pretty isolated woods, and we only come across the odd rambler etc.. I think this is fine.. however, when down by the river or in the high street he is leashed..

A public place.... a place where the public are free to enter and leave really.
If you cant see who is there, or control who is there, its public.

Isolated woods are "ok" but its hard to see who or what is round the corner.
2 walkers, opposite directions, 1 with dog on lead, 1 with dog off lead...

You round the corner to find your dog fighting with the one on the lead.... who is to blame, is anyone to blame?
To me thats a question I like to be able to answer with ease. Mine is under control..... therfore I would take no blame for the matter.

What if the odd rambler is petrified of dogs? Thats the sort of thing that concerns me. I see enough people worry and cross the road when he is walked in public on a lead. For them to be confronted by my dog in an isolated woods, without a handler.... I dread to think of the reaction.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:10 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Anywhere Public and not private.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:12 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Anywhere Public and not private.
Old 21 February 2008, 11:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Safe ****.

Quick Reply: I am an irresponsible dog owner.