Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been skiing in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 11:47 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone been skiing in the USA?

Taking her indoors Christmas shopping in New York (plan ahead) this year and we were thinking of combining it with a skiing trip. The places that spring to mind are Aspen, Calgary and Whistler. These are all stupid prices over Christmas and New Year (like 10k for 9 days skiing..... yeah right ) - Anyway, Vermont (Killington) and New Hampshire look a bit more sensible. Anyone been to either of these? Any hotels recommendations (or avoids?)
Old 22 February 2008, 12:12 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Jackson Hole, was ages ago but was fantastic.
Old 22 February 2008, 07:28 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Was in Aspen for a week 2 Xmas's ago and Whistler this Xmas!. They are not very expensive in my opinion ( some restaurants make UK look mega expensive),and having spent many many years skiing in the
Alps before this, I just wish I had discoverd the Rockies earlier. Aspen is now my favourite ski resort in the world with Whistler a close second. They are stunningly good!!Downside to Aspen is distance from Denver by road (you can fly but weather dependent). Downside to Whistler is too much snow!! (It seems to snow every day and night and I only saw the sun for a couple of hours all holiday. Wonderful powder though if that is your priority).
Old 22 February 2008, 09:06 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I wont be going back to Maine ...not exactly 'tourist friendly' & pretty annoying that you can't buy alchohol outside of the resorts without ID ...& they dont know what a passport is! lol
Old 22 February 2008, 09:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive been sking in Maine as well but not as a package - skied a slope near Camden where the mountains begin on the coast for most of day and the whole evening ( lit) . Then motored for about 5 hrs across state to the big one - i think White mountain
Awesomely beautiful btw .
Old 22 February 2008, 09:30 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Went to Breckenridge ages ago.

There was a few of us and we shared a Condo. Was quite cool because one run stopped just a little way from the Condo (4 O'Clock run)

Went to Denver for the day too. Long journey and mega steep roads.

Would go again but more than my poor wallet can take right now
Old 22 February 2008, 09:33 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Hi FB,

I came back from Breckenridge, Colarado 2 weeks ago. I have skied whistler, Banff areas before but they were not a patch on this.

Breckenridge itself has a huge ski area but not overly difficult, I would say it is a superb intermidiate but not quite so great for advanced. The small town is a beautiful place, full of nice boutiques, bars & restaurants.

Included on the lift pass is Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek & Heavenly.

Keystone was 30 mins drive away a much more advanced resort with superb off piste powder bowls and long narrow tree lined blacks.

Vail was my favourite resort, huge ski area (approx 10000 acres) all in great condition with 4 huge open powder bowls. It is approx 45/55 mins drive from Breckenridge. It is more expensive to stay here as it is one of the worlds most desirable resorts.

Beaver Creek is also a 'designer resort' (another 10 minutes further on from Vail) and had good varied skiing, on a par with breckenridge IMO but not as good as keystone or Vail.

Heavenly is a sister resort in California so a long way away.

I will be going back next year and will probably stay in either Vail for a change. For a nice romantic weeks skiing I would probably chose Breckenridge as the town is a really lovely place. The nearest airport is Denver which is 1.5/2 hours drive away. You will definately want a car as using buses to travel to other resorts is a pain in the ***.

HTHs

chop
Old 22 February 2008, 10:53 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Vail in 2001 after experiencing Banff/Louise, and was really disappointed, but for rather odd reasons:
1) went by meself, shared a chalet with one of the biggest arseholes known to mankind.
2) I asked if there were multi-day lessons, they said no, you have to buy a new one every day. After 5 days I found there were vouchers flying round that gave discounts for multi-day lessons. I went and complained, and was slid a discount quietly under the counter. Real rip-off.
3) The food on the mountain seemed to be primarily burgers or pizza, this is not what I expect from an "exclusive" ski resort.
4) The incredible animosity between skiers and boarders, I had chosen to board that time and was angrily told by a ski service stop when I tried to adjust my bindings "this place isn't for your sort". Apparently I had to go to the board stop somewhere else on the mountain (via my dodgy bindings). I believe one of the mountains (at the time) was banned to boarders. There's real hatred between snobs and bums.

I'd go back to Banff in a blink, none of those problems (must admit the food at Louise was a bit American last time). And I've been there 3 times already.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe George Michael was sking in the USA

Thats what they said on bo selecta
Old 22 February 2008, 11:07 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FB, just to add to your original proposal, there seems to be quite a few ice storms around Vermont/NH - skiing is supposed to be less reliable there.
Old 22 February 2008, 04:00 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Ive been sking in Maine as well but not as a package - skied a slope near Camden where the mountains begin on the coast for most of day and the whole evening ( lit) . Then motored for about 5 hrs across state to the big one - i think White mountain
Awesomely beautiful btw .
The best places to ski in Maine are Sunday River (Sunday River | Maine & New England's Premier Ski Resort - Great Lodging & Lift Ticket Deals) and Sugarloaf (www.sugarloaf.com).

Sunday River trail map: http://www.sundayriver.com/images/tr...erTrailMap.jpg

Sugarloaf trail map:
http://www.sugarloaf.com/pdf/0405tra...ugarloafer.pdf

I grew up in Maine so I skied on these mountains all the time.
Old 22 February 2008, 06:52 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

A friend has just got back from Killington - said it was fantastic.

I've been here Bear Mountain: in california and it was pretty good, bit small town but quiet and friendly. Also fairly close to LA/Vegas (kinda makes equal triangle) so its good if you want to combine Ski with other things!

It is better for beginners/low intermediates though as its not that big...
Old 22 February 2008, 08:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps - LMAO @ snobs v's bums. I thought that happened everywhere.

p.s. - How do you know you are in a snowboarders pub? - Everyone is sitting in the doorway....