Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RSPCA your experiences.........

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2008, 08:21 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSPCA your experiences.........

Anyone here ever use the services of the RSPCA for anything?

Are your experiences with the RSPCA good?

Have they in your opinion improved anything in this world?

Ta
Old 08 March 2008, 08:25 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

My only experience is that they are a shower of useless idiots who couldnt give a flying stuff about animals

Im sorry if that offends anyone but that is my experience of them, and they truly do not care

As a lot of people know on here we found a stray Staffie and I phoned the RSPCA and all they did was tell me to take it to the police station who would get the dog pound to put him down after a week if no one collected him
Old 08 March 2008, 08:29 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

I have seen some good work by them in the past, however through my experiences through work they can be pretty poor
Old 08 March 2008, 08:34 PM
zedy
Scooby Regular

i found a pigeon that was being attacked by a cat, i took the pigeon inside, phoned the rspca an they took it
Old 08 March 2008, 08:37 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Are they not one of the charities that squander vast amounts of their donatons on a massive administration system?
Old 08 March 2008, 09:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Me and the missus fell in love with a cat a few years back, the scruffy dog eared type that's been there years type. 3 months of **** ups and hearing nothing from them about the home check we finally gave up and got a kitten.

A month later they ring to say we have been approved
Old 08 March 2008, 09:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Are they not one of the charities that squander vast amounts of their donatons on a massive administration system?
They have a budget of £82 million and it is said to be all donated.......with that money thesy should perform miracles!!

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2008, 09:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Me and the missus fell in love with a cat a few years back, the scruffy dog eared type that's been there years type. 3 months of **** ups and hearing nothing from them about the home check we finally gave up and got a kitten.

A month later they ring to say we have been approved
Does not sound good...........
Old 08 March 2008, 09:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Does not sound good...........

We gave up hope mate, it broke the missus's heart when they rang but we could not take on 2 cats at the time.
Old 08 March 2008, 10:37 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

About as effective for animals as the IAM is for motorists.

CEO's on nice money and politically subsurvient. They all like to finish at about 3 on a friday...

D
Old 08 March 2008, 11:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My sister found a puppy that was a scabby bag of bones and half starved and the person on the phone said "If it's got a deformed foot then it'll be put down".
So she kept him as she couldn't live with handing him over on those terms....
Dylan has managed to last six years now with a massive two toes missing !

DunxC

P.S. Would rather do the walk than talk about it !

P.P.S. No internet skills so view my scoob to see the little tyke !
Old 08 March 2008, 11:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The biggest bunch of useless turds I've had the displeasure of meeting.

Went to check out a dog for somebody only to be told I wasn't allowed to see him as they were closed on Tuesdays for cleaning. This was the day after a big article in the local paper urging people to come forward to help ease their dog load.

Another time I was prepared to take in a dog only to be told again that I couldn't because I had an outdoor kennel block and it was against policy to allow any dog to a home with a kennel even if you say the dog will live indoors. I did query where they kept the dogs there and they said "well, errr, errr".

Then I dropped in the conversation that a so called 'home inspector' known to me, tied her own 2 dogs up outside on a chain all day while she was out working inspecting other people homes for suitabilty. Again met with a "well, errr, errr".

2 attempts is all they get from me and I'll now donate to the 'Under 25's Lesbian Lumberjack League' as it has more appeal.
Old 08 March 2008, 11:38 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

We've found animals injured before, and the RSPCA have not wanted to know - after phoning round, places such as the Swan Sanctuary at Egham, and the St TiggyWinkles animal hospital outside Aylesbury were more than happy to take them, and give them the treatment they needed - no questions asked.

Old 08 March 2008, 11:58 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
The biggest bunch of useless turds I've had the displeasure of meeting.

Went to check out a dog for somebody only to be told I wasn't allowed to see him as they were closed on Tuesdays for cleaning. This was the day after a big article in the local paper urging people to come forward to help ease their dog load.

Another time I was prepared to take in a dog only to be told again that I couldn't because I had an outdoor kennel block and it was against policy to allow any dog to a home with a kennel even if you say the dog will live indoors. I did query where they kept the dogs there and they said "well, errr, errr".

Then I dropped in the conversation that a so called 'home inspector' known to me, tied her own 2 dogs up outside on a chain all day while she was out working inspecting other people homes for suitabilty. Again met with a "well, errr, errr".

2 attempts is all they get from me and I'll now donate to the 'Under 25's Lesbian Lumberjack League' as it has more appeal.
****!
Old 08 March 2008, 11:58 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
We've found animals injured before, and the RSPCA have not wanted to know - after phoning round, places such as the Swan Sanctuary at Egham, and the St TiggyWinkles animal hospital outside Aylesbury were more than happy to take them, and give them the treatment they needed - no questions asked.

Christ!
Old 09 March 2008, 12:16 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Christ!
No he wouldn't help either
Old 09 March 2008, 01:42 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Wanted a dog. Went to Wood Green Animal Rescue near Cambridge. Inroduced family and other dog to new mut and all was just fine. Then an inspector came to our home and, in short, said if she'd known we also had a cat and a pond then we would not even have been considered as potential owners.

Went to RSPCA, chose a bouncy young German Shepard/Collie cross (though I like to think there's a hint of Saluki about him ). Classy animal RSPCA guy came round, liked the garden, liked the pond, saw how new dog got on with other pets and children and gave us the thumbs up. That was two years ago. Absolutely fabulous dog. Nothing but love.

Mind you, he's a thieving bugger. Can reach any area of the kitchen work top, can open fridge and cupboards, very fond of cat food...

All we know is that he's as daft as a brush and came from Leeds. Wouldn't swap him for the world . RSPCA were great

Richard.
Old 09 March 2008, 05:21 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
No he wouldn't help either
I see! Do you think he would make good for that small sausage?
Old 09 March 2008, 12:03 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I had an exhausted racing pigeon that turned up outside our house. It had been there a couple of days, mooching around, when finally, I came home from work one evening, it was pouring with rain and he just walked towards me from under my car, parked outside our house. We had two cats at the time, and there are a lot down our road, so obviously I was worried about him. I fed him with some bird food, gave him some water and rang the RSPCA. Their answer?...............don't feed it, just leave it and it'll fly away! I told them it had been hanging around for about 3 days, and was clearly exhausted, but they didn't want to know, just kept saying 'don't feed it' Finally I remembered a local chap had kept pigeons, and he took it.
Old 09 March 2008, 12:34 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Just saw Countryfile on the Beeb. They were discussing snares. RSPCA guy didnt like them as they were 'indiscriminate'. WTF? Does the fact that they are barbaric and cruel not enter into the matter - even when they do manage to slowly klill their intended target 25% of the time ( or at least keep it fairly still whilst another animal eats it alive).

Pathetic spineless shower.

D

Last edited by Diesel; 09 March 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09 March 2008, 01:00 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

We have three cats, another really scabby and furless, emaciated one turned up one night in the garden with a badly injured leg. Wouldn't let us near it, so we started to feed her. 3 months later her fur was back and the leg back on the ground, but still limped. Still couldn;t get anywhere near her. However, she started to get rather round about the middle and we decided the one of the local Toms had said hello!!!. Now we were happy to feed her, but not a load of kittens. Rang RSPCA and explained the situation, and that we thought was pregnant and feral. On the next day they said don't feed her and an inspector came with a trap. 20 Mins and a cup of tea later, 1 very p~~sed off cat. The woman took 1 look at her and said she was a he and we had been feeding him to well!!!!. Took him away, but were told if he was feral he would havve to be put to sleep, we said that if that was the case bring him back and we would continue to look after him.

Long story short, we had a phone call 2 days later saying, that his leg had been broken, but was now healed, the fur condition had been a flea allergy, and he couldn't get enough attention. Feline aids and leukemia checks were clear and would we like another house cat??. One of ours is very antisocial so we said no. 3 days after that another call to say he had a new home and was settling in fine.
We donated £100 for the trouble.
I think it really depends on which branch you are near.
Old 09 March 2008, 05:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
We have three cats, another really scabby and furless, emaciated one turned up one night in the garden with a badly injured leg. Wouldn't let us near it, so we started to feed her. 3 months later her fur was back and the leg back on the ground, but still limped. Still couldn;t get anywhere near her. However, she started to get rather round about the middle and we decided the one of the local Toms had said hello!!!. Now we were happy to feed her, but not a load of kittens. Rang RSPCA and explained the situation, and that we thought was pregnant and feral. On the next day they said don't feed her and an inspector came with a trap. 20 Mins and a cup of tea later, 1 very p~~sed off cat. The woman took 1 look at her and said she was a he and we had been feeding him to well!!!!. Took him away, but were told if he was feral he would havve to be put to sleep, we said that if that was the case bring him back and we would continue to look after him.

Long story short, we had a phone call 2 days later saying, that his leg had been broken, but was now healed, the fur condition had been a flea allergy, and he couldn't get enough attention. Feline aids and leukemia checks were clear and would we like another house cat??. One of ours is very antisocial so we said no. 3 days after that another call to say he had a new home and was settling in fine.
We donated £100 for the trouble.
I think it really depends on which branch you are near.

Sounds like it!
Old 09 March 2008, 07:14 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it really depends on the centre. I've had both good and bad experiences of the RSPCA. Now I usually go to a local 'independent' rescue centre instead, there's plenty of them around. I tend to have cats, so I search out the local rescue centre and the people who run it are usually pleased that I'm going to them rather than the RSPCA.
Old 09 March 2008, 08:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Their posh new HQ is close to us.

Some fuss when they appointed Jackie Ballard as CEO who I remember as a rather unpleasant leftie.

I keep hearing good reports about Blue Cross though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/nrspca21.xml
Old 09 March 2008, 11:41 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

OMG - no wonder my monthly animal welfare DD has pointed elsewhere for many a year! Sounds like the RSPCA is in a deep mess David...

D
Old 10 March 2008, 12:31 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Bollotics........................
Old 10 March 2008, 05:34 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Anyone here ever use the services of the RSPCA for anything?

Are your experiences with the RSPCA good?

Have they in your opinion improved anything in this world?

Ta
glad you asked, ive been wanting to get this off my chest for ages....

i was returning home from an airport at 3 am in a taxi and noticed that a few cars flashed as they passed. the road was a main road with no footpaths and no lighting. Harpenden to Luton.
further along we came across an adult deer in the road. it had been hit in the jaw, which was missing. i went up to it and it tried to run across the road but collapsed. it was screaming in pain so i covered it with my coat and called the police as i didnt know who to call. by now another car had stopped and two girls helped me. we tried to keep the dear calm by covering its eyes and wrapping it in coats till we got help. two police cars arrived and called the RSPCA.
the RSPCA refused to come out to put the deer to sleep as it wasn't their responsibility the deer was in a lot of pain and drivers were at risk as the deer was in the middle of the road.
one off the officers that was using his car to block the road said that they had managed to find someone that could deal with it. it was pouring with rain and myself and two girls were holding the deer in the road.
another policewoman came up to me and said that the officer was going to hit the deer over the head with a shovel and not to go.

in the end after two hours i called a friend who was a cat vet, she came out and put the deer to sleep. it had a broken hip too. we then had to move the deer into the undergrowth so it was out of the way

i was disgusted with the RSPCA!!!
Old 10 March 2008, 06:53 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
glad you asked, ive been wanting to get this off my chest for ages....

i was returning home from an airport at 3 am in a taxi and noticed that a few cars flashed as they passed. the road was a main road with no footpaths and no lighting. Harpenden to Luton.
further along we came across an adult deer in the road. it had been hit in the jaw, which was missing. i went up to it and it tried to run across the road but collapsed. it was screaming in pain so i covered it with my coat and called the police as i didnt know who to call. by now another car had stopped and two girls helped me. we tried to keep the dear calm by covering its eyes and wrapping it in coats till we got help. two police cars arrived and called the RSPCA.
the RSPCA refused to come out to put the deer to sleep as it wasn't their responsibility the deer was in a lot of pain and drivers were at risk as the deer was in the middle of the road.
one off the officers that was using his car to block the road said that they had managed to find someone that could deal with it. it was pouring with rain and myself and two girls were holding the deer in the road.
another policewoman came up to me and said that the officer was going to hit the deer over the head with a shovel and not to go.

in the end after two hours i called a friend who was a cat vet, she came out and put the deer to sleep. it had a broken hip too. we then had to move the deer into the undergrowth so it was out of the way

i was disgusted with the RSPCA!!!
That has left me speechless.................
Old 10 March 2008, 07:00 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

That has left me speechless.................
wild animals are not high priority according to them

my vet friend said that if the police had hit the deer's head with a shovel it wouldn't have killed it as the skulls are inches thick. she only had needles for cats so it took a long time to put the deer to sleep as she had to use a good few syringes. it was so sad feeling all its life going as we held it but at least it was better off.
not sure what the RSPCA expected us to do.......just leave it there to get hit again and perhaps cause a bad injury to another driver?

RSPCA in my opinion?
Old 10 March 2008, 07:06 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
wild animals are not high priority according to them

my vet friend said that if the police had hit the deer's head with a shovel it wouldn't have killed it as the skulls are inches thick. she only had needles for cats so it took a long time to put the deer to sleep as she had to use a good few syringes. it was so sad feeling all its life going as we held it but at least it was better off.
not sure what the RSPCA expected us to do.......just leave it there to get hit again and perhaps cause a bad injury to another driver?

RSPCA in my opinion?
I can imagine it must have been horrible.

Poor animal. The RSPCA has got a 82 million pound budget, yet they seem to do **** all!

Quick Reply: RSPCA your experiences.........