Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No train to work - what does employer do?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2008, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No train to work - what does employer do?

My daughter went to catch her 7.20 train to London but a tree down up the line meant no trains and unlikely to be cleared for some time.

So what is her employer likely to do? Pay her for the day or take it off her annual leave?

dl
Old 10 March 2008, 09:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the Employer really !

My previous management position they would have put it as holidays without question !

The job I have now they would probably put me as AWOL and take my bonues off me!!
Old 10 March 2008, 09:33 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

I seem to recall that when I worked in the city if we couldn't come in due to industrial action, weather etc we just got a days holiday (or work via VPN if we had access), but then it probably differs between companies.

Edit: There were lots of provisions put in place for emergencies like this, though... e.g. it was made sure that key staff (that'd be the managers on the golf course then ) would be able to work via blackberries, laptops etc.
Old 10 March 2008, 10:45 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Can she feasibly do work from home? Even self training etc. on internet. All depends on what her job is.

Many employers may treat is as if she were off sick/compassionate leave etc. i.e. still gets paid. Either way, it will be a good indicator to find out what sort of company she works for and how they treat their staff.

I assume no other way into work? cycle, bus, car, taxi, walk etc.
Old 10 March 2008, 10:46 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

If there is no home working policy it would have to be annual leave unless the employer has a heart of gold
Old 10 March 2008, 10:49 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
My daughter went to catch her 7.20 train to London but a tree down up the line meant no trains and unlikely to be cleared for some time.

So what is her employer likely to do? Pay her for the day or take it off her annual leave?

dl
Unfortunately it's your responsibility to get into work by whatever means possible or make alternate arrangements i.e. VPN in from home as we had to do in here Tewkesbury last year during the aftermath of the flooding.

Could she drive to somewhere in outer London and get the tube or bus in?

Suspect she will have to take a days annual leave. You could probably argue for a days unpaid leave if you want to preserve your paid leave.
Old 10 March 2008, 10:56 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Unless your lucky they will take a day off annual leave. Its not their fault she cant make it into her place of work. I certainly would if it was on of my staff (i.e. take the leave off not let them off).

Simon
Old 10 March 2008, 11:05 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, depends on the employer.
It is the employees responsibility though to get into work, and even if things happen out of their control, its not the employers fault either.
Me I would let someone take it as a days holiday, if they didnt want to, then I would let them have it unpaid.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:59 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

With every employer I have worked for you have to make reasonable efforts to get to work. However if you couldn't get in due to public transport failure then the employer took the hit. So full pay and no need to take a day off.

So if I was her I would wait an hour or two, and try again. Then give up.
Old 10 March 2008, 11:59 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK thanks. She phoned in and asked if they could mail her any stuff to do but most of her work is sort of office based. She works as a graduate trainee for a London PR company btw - not been there long so she was worried about what they would do.

Alternative transport is not an option.

On the plus side she works very hard and puts in at least an extra hour and a half a day so they do "owe" her.

There is an irony in that her boss is booked to travel from Euston to Hinckley by rail today so we wonder how he will get on!!

Cheers, dl
Old 10 March 2008, 12:06 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

This works both ways, if she manages to get in via other methods for lunchtime it speaks volumes for the employee.