Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need some advice on Nystagmus

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2008, 11:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some advice on Nystagmus

Basically my little brother was born blind and for years he has improved up until now. he uses contact lenses and can see almost as well as average.

However like us he has a love for cars and has always dreamed of getting his licence !

He can't quite read the plates at the required distance ! and I need a way to improve his sight as its riping him apart !

He has not tried any treatments as was brought up with the belief there are none !

Anyone in the know ?
Old 10 March 2008, 11:19 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that if you wear glasses to drive, that's acceptable. Would not getting a pair of glasses that help him do this be an option?
Old 10 March 2008, 11:30 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I honestly don't know anything about your brothers condition, but would something like laser surgery help??

I hope you are able to find something to help him fulfil his dream
Old 10 March 2008, 11:31 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Basically my little brother was born blind and for years he has improved up until now. he uses contact lenses and can see almost as well as average.

However like us he has a love for cars and has always dreamed of getting his licence !

He can't quite read the plates at the required distance ! and I need a way to improve his sight as its riping him apart !

He has not tried any treatments as was brought up with the belief there are none !

Anyone in the know ?
My eldest daughter has Nystagmus - she will never be able to drive, her eyesight has not not got significantly better over the last 14 years. As far as I can work out it's not really a condition in it's own right more a symptom of another condition, certainly in my daughters case the actual Nystagmus (involuntary oscillating movement of the eyes) has got significantly better as she's got older (to the extent that you very rarely see it now) but this in itself has not made any difference to her eyesight which will always be compromised by her condition (ocular albunism).

If your brother's eyesight has improved from blindness to almost driving standard is there no chance that it could improve further given more time?
Old 10 March 2008, 11:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to the doctors as he grew up now.

Laser eye people wont help.

His eye sight is fine, its the movement that cuases the bad vision.