Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dangers of Boy Racing video

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2008, 09:30 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangers of Boy Racing video

Found this relic on youtube and is that posh lookalike in the video (warning quite graphic): YouTube - young boy racers drive too fast kill children and people
Old 26 March 2008, 10:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

• Don't snog on narrow road bridges
  • Keep your dog on a lead
  • If you want to drive slowly, let other drivers overtake safely
  • Watch out for the dog "Lucky" who appears in Norwich Union ads

Good intent, crap implementation

mb
Old 26 March 2008, 10:59 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

pretty graphic . a warning to racers though
Old 27 March 2008, 12:39 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

That's horrible, look how big and freakishly shaped that guys ears are!
Old 27 March 2008, 01:08 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

This only happened because he ignored the highway code and didn't run over the dog - speed was only a variable the real crime was not maintaining his course and killing the animal so as not to endanger human life.

A lass at my school failed her driving test because she performed an emergency stop when a dog ran out in front of her.
Old 27 March 2008, 11:06 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

yeah I often find a lot of the local mingers may as well be dogs... need to remind myself they are human
Old 27 March 2008, 11:18 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Despite the comments above, it just goes to show how things can turn around to the worse in an amazingly short amount of time.

Now of course, if the guy had undergone some high performance driver training, he would have seen a good 30 seconds later the perceived dangers ie a bridge etc and probably would not have overtaken the vehicle at that opportunity. Likewise, the guy who was being overtaken would have realised the vehicle wanted to pass and rather that being bloody minded would have slowed appropriately to allow the overtaking vehicle a safe passage.
Old 27 March 2008, 11:40 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Was posted on here a few years back...and had the same comment about the advert - full of flaws. But quite moving.
Old 27 March 2008, 11:58 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
  • Don't snog on narrow road bridges
  • Keep your dog on a lead
  • If you want to drive slowly, let other drivers overtake safely
  • Watch out for the dog "Lucky" who appears in Norwich Union ads

Good intent, crap implementation

mb
Agreed! They were my exact thoughts! Shock adverts don't work. What does work is better training/education.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a good video which clearly presents the dangers and the dreadful consequences of driving too fast for the road concerned and attempting to overtake in a dangerous manner. There is just no room on the roads these days for driving at high speeds in a selfish manner. Too many innocent people are at risk!

Les
Old 27 March 2008, 12:12 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is a good video which clearly presents the dangers and the dreadful consequences of driving too fast for the road concerned and attempting to overtake in a dangerous manner. There is just no room on the roads these days for driving at high speeds in a selfish manner. Too many innocent people are at risk!

Les
It's rubbish! ALL road users have the responsiblity of responsible use! Drivers, horse riders, cyclists, pedestrians, pets on leads. The whole ad is totally biased...and the reality is....we, and "boy racers", can see through the BS.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:24 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
A lass at my school failed her driving test because she performed an emergency stop when a dog ran out in front of her.
I like that, I'd have loved to have heard the driving instructor's comments when they arrived back at the testing station if she had run the dog over and subsequently passed her test
Old 28 March 2008, 04:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
It's rubbish! ALL road users have the responsiblity of responsible use! Drivers, horse riders, cyclists, pedestrians, pets on leads. The whole ad is totally biased...and the reality is....we, and "boy racers", can see through the BS.
Did I say anywhere that not all road users need be responsible? Your criticism of my post is unfounded since the whole idea behind the video is to underline the awful damage that can be done by selfish and incompetent prats driving too fast for the road conditions. It is not biased to demonstrate the consequences as shown. It does that perfectly well and is designed to make people think twice before taking a risk on the public roads. Look past the production and take in the message!

Les
Old 28 March 2008, 06:41 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

It's only biased against the people in 2 ton of metal doing 60 mph. You may as well say that CAA rules are unfair because they target 747's and not kites.
Old 30 March 2008, 05:10 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

That is one of the award winning road safety advert made by Lyle Balie advertising with Department of Environment and the Police Service of Northern Ireland, its shown on TV as a normal tv ad over here on ITV, but only after 9PM.

There are a few of them, personally find this one much more hard hitting.

YouTube - No Seatbelt, No Excuse teen driving seatbelt PSA
Old 30 March 2008, 05:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
That is one of the award winning road safety advert made by Lyle Balie advertising with Department of Environment and the Police Service of Northern Ireland, its shown on TV as a normal tv ad over here on ITV, but only after 9PM.
There's that really "nice" one where the car barrel rolls through a garden squishing that little kid.
Old 30 March 2008, 05:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

special effects were good in it tho,casualty could take note....
Old 30 March 2008, 05:56 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Found this relic on youtube and is that posh lookalike in the video (warning quite graphic): YouTube - young boy racers drive too fast kill children and people
SIAL
Old 30 March 2008, 05:58 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

This only happened because he ignored the highway code and didn't run over the dog - speed was only a variable the real crime was not maintaining his course and killing the animal so as not to endanger human life.
Do you seriously think that in the context of that accident there was time for conscious decision making to process the relevant rules of the highway code rules and then swerve rather than run over the dog?

I'm not sure what BS is present in the ad. The message that driving like a **** can have serious consequences seemed pretty clear.
Old 30 March 2008, 07:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Do you seriously think that in the context of that accident there was time for conscious decision making to process the relevant rules of the highway code rules and then swerve rather than run over the dog?
It should be instinctual. I've trained myself not to auto-react to wildlife unless its at least the size of a stag. It's not difficult to do ffs! A mate of mines wrote of his mini because he swerved to avoid a rabit - what a dork!

Incidently the road looks like it might be a 60mph road and despite a small dip the view down to the next corner seems clear. We can see this at time index 00:44. There are no junctions or signs to indicate that overtaking here would be inappropriate or dangerous although I accept that the swerve into the other lane to initiate the overtake is perhaps excessive.

Although hard to judge I'd estimate the vehicles to be between 40-45mph at time index 00:44. At time index 00:46 we get a clear view that the civic's rate of acceleration past the rear quarter of the other vehicle is significant suggesting the civic has the power to complete this move in the distances available.

At time index 00:46 we are shown the civic's rev counter and can see that the driver understands the construction and design of Honda engines and is fully utilizing the power band high up in the rev range to minimize his TED (time exposed to danger). Despite high revs being associated with 'boy racing' accelerating in this manner is appropriate and safer than sticking to the mid range of this low-torque vehicle, which would result in the manoeuvre taking far longer.

At time index 00:47 we see a dog running out from the undergrowth. This is unexpected and given it is unlikely/impossible there is a car directly behind the civic sharp breaking would be appropriate. At time index 00:48 we see the civic driver swerve sharply causing him to loose control of his vehicle. This is his first wholly inappropriate act and the cause of the accident. Given the severity of his swerve reaction - being enough to roll the vehicle with no other contact - I would suggest it's likely that swerving in such a manner at a lower speed would have caused a similar loss of control.

I'm also curious as to where the 3rd vehicle at time index 00:09 came from since it appears in no other long/short range forward facing shots. I'd suggest it was added for artistic purposes.

I also question the appropriateness of snogging against a wall in the location shown.

In short I do not believe that speed or negligent dangerous driving was a cause of this accident. This appears to be a routine overtake of a slower moving vehicle with speeds not exceeding or greatly exceeding 60mph. The driver was careless in swerving so sharply to avoid an animal and that was the cause of the accident.

I am of the opinion that the clip is highly contrived and does very little to demonstrate what true dangerous and excessively fast driving is and what sorts of accidents are caused by such driving. I think that as usual this clip is trying to turn us into a society that is completely incapable of overtaking other vehicles and therefore destined to be stuck in massive long queues of traffic travelling at the rate of the slowest moving vehicle.

Saxo Boy rests your honour
Old 30 March 2008, 09:36 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

It should be instinctual. I've trained myself not to auto-react to wildlife unless its at least the size of a stag. It's not difficult to do ffs! A mate of mines wrote of his mini because he swerved to avoid a rabit - what a dork!
Well it clearly wasn't instinctual with him, which is surely evidence that he is driving too fast for the conditions and beyond his capabilities.

As for the rest of your analysis, you've missed the fact that he's overtaking just before what is in effect a cross-roads (there are right/left turns literally yards in front of him when he's on the wrong side of the road), and the twist/dip in the road beyond these turnings further reduced his visibility. Take another look at 00:47.

Gary.
Old 30 March 2008, 10:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The crossroads are not apparent at 00:44.

You do know this is fictional right? I feel we need to check that
Old 30 March 2008, 10:39 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The crossroads are not apparent at 00:44.

You do know this is fictional right? I feel we need to check that
The left hand exist is just visible.

But you should know, you're the one with the 10 paragraph analysis
Old 31 March 2008, 02:27 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

These sorts of ads do not work. They do not work because young people have not been trained properly and know better (As we all know they know nowt). The problem with these ads is that over time, with continual streaming on TV, people turn off and become oblivious to the message. Then, Govn't have to increase the shock factor, which over time, has a similar effect to which the Govn't reacts with still further increases in shock. It doesn't work!

What does work is better training and an area where these "kids" can have a burn out/race in a safe controlled place. I thank my early days of competition, 15 and on, for satisfying the need for some excitement.

These kids are easily lead by media content like "The Fast and The Furious", and the like one can find on YouTube etc etc....

Unless attitudes change to driver training, people will still die. Unless the age at which one can begin to drive on a public road rises kids will still race.

I reiterate, the ad is rubbish. It will not convince those the ad is targetted for and in the future the ads will become more shocking and deaths will continue. I'll put a months salary on it.