Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hysterectomy

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2008, 12:04 AM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hysterectomy

My wife was told last week that shes going to have to have it done on April 7th. She has a very large cyst on one of her overies. She`s having a total abdominal taking everything out From what i`ve been reading sometimes not everything need be taken. They haven`t said its cancerous and it would need to be checked in the lab first. Am I wrong in thinking that some of her bits could remain or should I leave them get on with it. My wife is less stressed about it than me and says my baby making days are over now I dont need them anymore. We will get a chance to see the doctor before the op so any questions can be asked then.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:19 AM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

afaik

they can take take away the nursery but leave the play pen. if you know what i mean.

every case is different and there are lots of (risk)factors involved. to me a total hysterectomy is a bit excessive for what your describing as a large ovarian cyst but i dont know all the facts(age / family history etc).

on the plus side - no more decorators every month.
on the minus side - hrt

please please ask the questions you (and your boss) need answering before its too late.

ultimatley i suppose its her decision / body

best of luck tho

cheers

colin

Last edited by dicky ticker; 27 March 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:21 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, the surgeon on the day will ultimately make the decision.

this will be based on your wifes notes,discussions with your wife, what he finds when he opens her up, and the results of any biopsy's carried out.

at the end of the day once the womb is removed, the baby side of things is over. Some i believe leave the ovary's, for hormonal reasons, but i guess in this case they will more than likely be removed.

Mart
Old 27 March 2008, 12:29 AM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

She had a Cat sacn and they pretty much know exactly what its like in there before they open her.
As i`ve said baby making days are over, she was sterilized on our last 20yrs ago on a C section

Last edited by All Torque; 27 March 2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 02:03 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Definitely get a second opinion. My mum had the op some time back, and is now on HRT, there may be other options around.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

AT, you haven't actually said why your wife is having a hysterectomy
Old 27 March 2008, 01:03 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

The hospital/doctors have decided to perform one while removing the cyst, it is quite large mind one doctor said she thought she looked 22 weeks pregnant with it. My wife is not bothered about having one as she says there will be less chance of anything going wrong down there in the future. But as i`m no expert I am thinking it is a bit extreme to take everything when I have read that some things can be left.

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2008, 01:50 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

What is it that "could/would" be left???

And.... WHY would you want it left?

I'm not a doctor and wasn't all that with biology etc, however, if your wifes ovaries have a large cyst and the surgeons removes them, that would leave tubes - is that right>? why would you need the tubes if there are no ovaries? Maybe, to leave such organs, there is greater risk of infection. To remove it as a "whole" may be simpler operation with less chance of problems???
Old 27 March 2008, 02:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mum had it done and was glad she did, I dont ever want the detail of why but am assurred it was a good move.
Old 27 March 2008, 02:56 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

is it effecting both ovaries?