Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

eBay dilemma..what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2008, 12:27 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay dilemma..what would you do?

I've been asked the following and wondered what the SN populous would do...

Say you had something up for sale on eBay, which had gathered a fairamount of interest

You had made the item details & amounts perfectly clear -not once but twice, within the description.. but you seem to have attracted some crazy bids...

do you

a) contact them and make sure they know exactly what the item amount is, therefore relieving yourself morally..

b) say tough luck- you have made the description crystal clearand if they are willing to bid silly money( for an item you know isn't worth that much) then who are you to stop them..

I would be inclined to go with B as the seller cannot make the description any clearer... but then again what if the shoe was on the other foot? Would I want the seller to be honest with me??
Old 27 March 2008, 12:29 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

awwfeck that'll teach me to be stuffing my face whilst posting...this ain'tNSR...

wheres scoobychick when you need her?
Old 27 March 2008, 12:37 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

If you're really sure the description is crystal clear, then for me, it would depend on the experience level of the bidder -I'd tell a newbie, but with a feedback of say 10 or more, then they should know what they are doing.....
Old 27 March 2008, 12:46 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're clearly not setting out to deceive anyone, so just take the money and run!
Old 27 March 2008, 12:49 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

What is the item in question? Do tell!!
Old 27 March 2008, 12:53 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
What is the item in question? Do tell!!
A scoobynet alias
Old 27 March 2008, 12:54 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

The idea of an auction is to make as much money as possible. You take the gamble of losing (if you don't set a reserve) so any profit is deserved.

I'm sure if someone's cocked up their bid, they'll contact you to ask for it to be removed. (I've never brought or sold on ebay, so not 100% sure on the rules)

If the ad is correct, take the money!

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2008, 12:57 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
The idea of an auction is to make as much money as possible. You take the gamble of losing (if you don't set a reserve) so any profit is deserved.

I'm sure if someone's cocked up their bid, they'll contact you to ask for it to be removed. (I've never brought or sold on ebay, so not 100% sure on the rules)

If the ad is correct, take the money!
it's not a huge amount..mere pounds, but for the item it's just stoopid... seems to be a bidding war between 2 people so I am guessing they haven't cocked up.. I shall advise the seller to take the dosh and scram
Old 27 March 2008, 12:57 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

If it was made clear twice then surely its tough.

I've been on the otherside too. I misread the scale of a model scooby - N.Yorks Police - it was clearly marked too. I paid WAY over what it was worth but didn't grumble cause it was my mistake.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:58 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Suresh here, you've said what it's worth and if someone is willing to go above that, that's their choice.

Remember Ebay is an auction site, and as with normal auctions, people will bid past what an item is worth if they really want it. So long as you've been upfront, take what you get.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:58 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge

You had made the item details & amounts perfectly clear -not once but twice, within the description.. but you seem to have attracted some crazy bids...

Ginge, it's B IMO.

Their experience and whatever is not your problem, as you have clarified it not once, but more than once in the description. If they are illiterate to read properly, their own fault.

God, the things you can sell on Ebay, and the comments you get as well, eh! Once I sold Mr. Bean's teddy (you know, the one with a bandage!) on Ebay, and an idiot asked me if it was the one that Mr.Bean actually held in the film shoot. I told him- "No. It's brand ******* new, and it doesn't stink of Mr. Bean." He got back to me saying- "You are committing daylight robbery by calling it Mr. Bean's teddy!" Fekking idiot! I told him- "For merely 3 squid starting bid, is he crazy to think that it's Mr. Bean's original teddy, held by himself on a film shoot? I never said in the description that it was held and fed by him on his bosom, did I? Dirrr! Don't bid if you don't want, you moron!" Well,he backed off The teddy got sold for 100 squid without any quibble.

I must say that anyone under 10 feedback might bid, and even back out later, beware.
Old 27 March 2008, 01:03 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

B. Same answer in The Hutch too
Old 27 March 2008, 01:09 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Ginge, it's B IMO.

Their experience and whatever is not your problem, as you have clarified it not once, but more than once in the description. If they are illiterate to read properly, their own fault.

God, the things you can sell on Ebay, and the comments you get as well, eh! Once I sold Mr. Bean's teddy (you know, the one with a bandage!) on Ebay, and an idiot asked me if it was the one that Mr.Bean actually held in the film shoot. I told him- "No. It's brand ******* new, and it doesn't stink of Mr. Bean." He got back to me saying- "You are committing daylight robbery by calling it Mr. Bean's teddy!" Fekking idiot! I told him- "For merely 3 squid starting bid, is he crazy to think that it's Mr. Bean's original teddy, held by himself on a film shoot? I never said in the description that it was held and fed by him on his bosom, did I? Dirrr! Don't bid if you don't want, you moron!" Well,he backed off The teddy got sold for 100 squid without any quibble.

I must say that anyone under 10 feedback might bid, and even back out later, beware.
people can be so daft!! re the under 10 feedback i was thinking th same thing but the item wont be sent until allmoney has been received and cleared
Old 27 March 2008, 01:11 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

B. Same answer in The Hutch too
Ta Swati
Old 27 March 2008, 01:17 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Yes it'sme who is selling ( as if you hadnt already guessed!) and I amgoing to go with the flow...and keep the cash!
Old 27 March 2008, 01:20 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sure.

But the hassle of relisting the item etc. can be well-avoided by stating this under the description> "DON'T BOTHER BIDDING, IF YOU ARE NOT GONNA PAY. I SHALL LEAVE A NASTY FEEDBACK FOR NON-PAYING BIDDERS."

Some say "People under 10-20 or no feedback, please email the seller" Now, if you have time to deal with such emails, fair enough. If not, prior lines are more than appropriate IMO.
Old 27 March 2008, 01:23 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Sure.

But the hassle of relisting the item etc. can be well-avoided by stating this under the description> "DON'T BOTHER BIDDING, IF YOU ARE NOT GONNA PAY. I SHALL LEAVE A NASTY FEEDBACK FOR NON-PAYING BIDDERS."

Some say "People under 10-20 or no feedback, please email the seller" Now, if you have time to deal with such emails, fair enough. If not, prior lines are more than appropriate IMO.
True. or I could just say you mess with me, I set Turbohot on you
Old 27 March 2008, 01:23 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

So what is this item that you've made enough money on to buy us all beers?
Old 27 March 2008, 01:26 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

< Justified
Old 27 March 2008, 01:33 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
So what is this item that you've made enough money on to buy us all beers?
Erm... theres enough money for a half, and maybe a sprite with ice and a packet of pork scratchings

It's nowt really..I was just feeling morally guilty..taking ott bids for an item i know damn well is worth a fraction of the offers... but I guess it's their problems and i should stop being so lovelyand worrying about their mistakes.. and be bleddy ruthless for once
Old 27 March 2008, 01:38 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Old 27 March 2008, 01:42 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Dunno, I just sold a Sunbed for £200...buyer collects

I was all up for chopping it up for scrap last week

It already be relisted twice Seems to be wimmin who bid, not realising it'll need at least two burley men to shift it, a van to take it away, and a sparky to wire it in. They think "ooo sunbed, no reserve and click "bid" "

If they collect: sorted If not, out with the grinder

Last edited by Shark Man; 27 March 2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 09:10 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

awwfeck that'll teach me to be stuffing my face whilst posting...this ain'tNSR...

wheres scoobychick when you need her?
Here, moved and merged

Last edited by Scoobychick; 27 March 2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 09:20 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Take the money.
Idiots who cant read the description of what they are bidding on really boil my ****.

Also remember that one mans junk is another mans treasure, it may seem like tat to you, but could be EXACTLY what someone is looking for for some reason, so they will be willing to pay for it.
Old 27 March 2008, 03:34 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Here, moved and merged

ooh, aren't you the clever one
Old 27 March 2008, 03:35 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Take the money.
Idiots who cant read the description of what they are bidding on really boil my ****.

Also remember that one mans junk is another mans treasure, it may seem like tat to you, but could be EXACTLY what someone is looking for for some reason, so they will be willing to pay for it.
Very true, DD...I am going to take the money,i think. It's their own silly fault..

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts
Old 27 March 2008, 03:39 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

People will pay whatever they think an item is worth.
Check the bidders history

are the genuine?
do they have a good reputation?

If your confident your product description is clear then I would jsut sit back and let the auction end, cash in and away you go. I've sold my 60gb PS3 for 650.00, almost double what I paid for it last year, reason being it's so rare now and as such in demand.
Old 27 March 2008, 05:48 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Personally i would never bid on a 2nd hand blow up doll, just out of interest how much are you asking for it and whats her name ?
Old 27 March 2008, 09:17 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Personally i would never bid on a 2nd hand blow up doll, just out of interest how much are you asking for it and whats her name ?
If I was to own a blow up doll, it would be a male one.. and I think I would call it Edgar ..are you still interested?
Old 27 March 2008, 09:18 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

If I was to own a blow up doll, it would be a male one.. and I think I would call it Edgar ..are you still interested?
Or a female one inside out