Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers mate for quick response !
Old 23 April 2008, 01:56 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Bit of a poor question..

what exactly are you wanting to find out?

Which is better technically?
Which is better for online gaming?
Which is better as a games machine come media centre?

It really depends on what you want from a console, personally I would buy a console based on what games are available, its generally accepted that a Wii is third in power to both machines but outsells them because of the games and user interface.
Old 23 April 2008, 08:54 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can
Of
Worms

Expect fanbois of both to make comments.

I went with the 360 because it

1: Came out first
2: Don't care about Blu Ray or HD-DVD (now dead anyway)
3: I think the online is better then the PS3 (should be since you have to pay for it).

Nothing on the PS3 that i want to play (not saying there are no good games just nothing that tempts me.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:09 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better machine?... PS3

Better online gaming and more enjoyable to own? Xbox360.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:17 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

PS3.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:28 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

.................FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......... ...........................
Old 23 April 2008, 09:30 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Personal choice really, both are great machines with different strengths.

Which one will be more successful? PS3 I would imagine.

Maybe next time Bill, if you don't make hardware as flaky as your OSs........

Geezer

Last edited by Geezer; 23 April 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:34 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Both bgreat machines - Which one would I buy if I didn't already have both? PS3.

But to be honest, you aren't going to be dissapointed with either.
Old 23 April 2008, 09:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

XBox 360 for me.

Better games IMHO. Halo, PG Racing, Colin McRae Dirt, etc
Old 23 April 2008, 09:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I find my PC does the job very well.

Les
Old 23 April 2008, 10:11 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by stilover
XBox 360 for me.

Better games IMHO. Halo, PG Racing, Colin McRae Dirt, etc
Would that be the Same Colin McRae Dirt available on PS3 and PC?

Geezer
Old 23 April 2008, 10:32 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Both awesome machines. Xbox has better games just now and the online experience is top notch. PS3 is going to have an upsurge of decent games in the next 1 to 2 years so things will even out but I don't think the online setup will ever be as good as the xbox.
Personally, I'll be getting a PS3 as well as there are upsides and downsides to each and some games play better on one console than the other. Got a Wii as well for the same reasoning, MarioKart is frikking great! and you don't get that on PS3 at the mo There needs to be more options for the poll though.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:53 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Technically - PS3

On line Gaming - Xbox ..... at the moment

Games - X box ..... it's been around longer and has a more flexible platform. They're still trying to get used to the PS3. But the games will get better on the PS3............................................... ...............in time

I went for the..

Roo
Old 23 April 2008, 11:09 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

PC

By the time consoles are released, PCs are already on the next level. Don't waste your money.

Old 23 April 2008, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I upgrade my own PC from time to time and it plays the good driving games very well indeed

Les
Old 23 April 2008, 02:00 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by EddScott
PC

By the time consoles are released, PCs are already on the next level. Don't waste your money.

You know, I thought like that for years. Consoles are for kids, real men use PCs! However, the latest gen of consoles has changed my mind somewhat. I get decent online play, superb visuals and sound, and all for cheaper than a decent gaming PC, and I don't have to worry about whether my PC will play it or not, installation issues etc. Just put in the disk, and off you go......

Hell, you even get updates for games on consoles now and new content, and all from the comfort of your lounge and on my big HD TV! Keeping your PC up to date to play the latest and greatest is a real PITA. I think PC gaming will start to slowly wither now.

You only have to look at the decent games which come out for PC compared to the stuff for consoles (unless you are a into RPGs) to see the the shift in power has already taken place.

I loved PC gaming, but times, they are a changin'

Geezer
Old 23 April 2008, 02:23 PM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

They are both great. You'll get more shelf life from a PS3 if you're buying now though.

I don't think I'll be getting another game for my 360 in 2008, played everything I want to on the machine and there's nothing I fancy coming out this year.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

PC gaming will never go completely. FPS and RTS games are best controlled by mouse/keyboard combo and framerates on PC's are waaaaay higher than consoles. Look at Sony touting the new Wipeout as having 60fps, lol, they're in their hundreds on PC's.

The thing is though, they are a bit more of a pita to maintain and will break. Consoles (barring the rings of death on xbox etc.) are generally very stable and you don't need to worry about much with them. Personally I use a PC, xbox360, Wii, a couple of psp's and will be getting a ps3 soonish. I prefer gaming a load more on the consoles and the value for money of consoles is far outstripping that of PC's as the consoles can now carry out many more functions than previously available.

Would love to have all games on a top spec high end PC but it's too time consuming and generally costly.

The ps3 will eventually be king though I reckon (alongside the Wii).
Old 23 April 2008, 02:29 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

LOL, you misguided young ruffians

You don't need to spend a fortune to play PC games. My nephew plays Team Fortress 2 on a PC that cost less than £50 (CPU £5, RAM £1! etc) He has a 360 but could not afford the £60 asking price for the Orange box. Your looking at twice the price of a PC game for a console game.

Never really paid much attention to a PS3 but Halo 3 on the 360 looks horribly outdated.

Any FPS game looks better on PC (HL2, TF2, Crysis, STALKER etc) Assasins Creed on a PC looks awesome. Theres also a very good reason why they don't let consoles and PCs play together in multiplayer FPS games too (consoles would get a pasting )

RPGs are horrific on consoles and those RTS that venture on them die horrible deaths.

If anything PC gaming will increase as they become easier and more user friendly. Consoles will become more like PCs (as they trying to be now)

Save that £300 for some PC upgrades to play proper games with proper men!

Last edited by EddScott; 23 April 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:37 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

RPGS on consoles are horrific and what ones have you played on consoles that are sooo bad?

C+C 3 on the 360 is fantastic ,fair enough it doesn't have the ease of the PC but is still a fantastic game.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:45 PM
psl wise
Scooby Regular

spectrum 48k .

i went for the 60 gb ps3 , still waiting for haze to come out though

as said xbox as a lot more games out at the moment

also

ps3 gamers are the best
Old 23 April 2008, 02:50 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

LOL, you misguided young ruffians

You don't need to spend a fortune to play PC games. My nephew plays Team Fortress 2 on a PC that cost less than £50 (CPU £5, RAM £1! etc) He has a 360 but could not afford the £60 asking price for the Orange box. Your looking at twice the price of a PC game for a console game.

Never really paid much attention to a PS3 but Halo 3 on the 360 looks horribly outdated.

Any FPS game looks better on PC (HL2, TF2, Crysis, STALKER etc) Assasins Creed on a PC looks awesome. Theres also a very good reason why they don't let consoles and PCs play together in multiplayer FPS games too (consoles would get a pasting )

You also mention RPGs, horrific on consoles and those RTS that venture on them die horrible deaths.

If anything PC gaming will increase as they become easier and more user friendly. Consoles will become more like PCs (as they trying to be now)

lol, yeah, I agree pretty much completely. I still reckon consoles are better, pound for pound, when it comes to higher end gaming etc. Trying to get a PC to run the latest games is costly, even if you build a decent spec pc yourself with well sourced parts. Also, most pc users that I come across wouoldn't really have a clue how to upgrade, where to get cheaper parts and what things should cost in the first place.

As ya say, the games are unbelievably more expensive on console though, with no real justification tbh. A lot more testing is needed to produce a decent PC game that is going to be able to run on a million different types of setup of home pc.
Not surprised that there are so many poeple just chipping their xbox hiring a game from Blockbuster and just copying them to the console HDD.
Not sure about Halo 3 looking outdated but hey, agree to disagree on that one, it's only a game after all, but one I quite like

lol @ putting console players vs PC players online. Massive pwnage would be had, the console boys would be ruined, generally.

I kind of disagree with the idea that PC gaming will get bigger and consoles will become more like PC's. Sure they already have to a degree but it seems more likely that they will all hold their respective places in the market, copying little bits from each other here and there.

PC's can run better games and would wipe the floor with consoles if set up for it but it's still a pain and for the generic ignorant pc user the term more user friendly is very relative.

As I say though, totally agree with you on the PC side being best, I'm just a lazy skinflint
Old 23 April 2008, 03:33 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Mmm, thing is, what will £300 buy you in the way of PC upgrades? Not a great deal if you want your games to run fast and look as good (and better) than a console.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I would still have a kick *** PC, but for ease of use and accessibiilty there really is no contest between this generation of consoles and PCs. The next gen really will negate alot of PC use as they get proper browsers, chat systems etc.

There's games out now that simply won't play on my PC (well, in anything remotely acceptable. I don't fancy playing blocky, jerky games thankyou very much), so to offset the saving in games costs, I would need to spend a considerable amount to upgrade my PC. And then there's the constant update of drivers etc. At least on the consoles it automatically does it for games and system, instead of having to go and search for a decent mirror for games updates, or hunt for drivers. And, every game for my PS3 is written for the PS3, so optimising it's potential, instead of being a compromise to allow x thousand different configurations of PC to play it.

AS for FPS, well a PC can manage hundreds instead of 60. So what? You can't tell the difference. It's only when the framerate drops to certain levels that it starts to look bad. 60 FPS, if it doesn't drop below that, is more than acceptable. It's just bragging rights for your 3DMARK score! DVDs run at 24-30fps, do they look poor to you? I doubt it.

I must admit, I find the control method hard to master on FPS games, but I play online, and I can tell you that the accuracy and speed of some of the people I play against (probably all 8 yrs old ) is the equal of anything but the absolute creme de la creme on PC.

The only thing I used to really dislike about consoles is disappearing now, and that is the number of players. I see the next Resistance game will support 60 people per game. What do PCs have to offer now? (except all the non-gaming software of course)

Geezer
Old 23 April 2008, 04:05 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

If you are after a bluray player then buying anything other than the PS3 is a no brainer. The reason I bought one was for the bluray player first and games machine second.

The cheapest BR player is 230 quid and pretty crap compaired to the ps3. If you want online game play then the 360 is the one to have.

Coming soon:
What Sony’s PlayTV is, and isn’t | last100
Old 23 April 2008, 04:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

They are both really good. I chose the Xbox 360 as for me the games and the online 'experience' are better. I'm sure the PS3 will catch up in time.

Steve
Old 23 April 2008, 05:30 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Whats better about the Xbox 360 Online experience compared to the PS3 ? I find the PS3 works fine online, never had a problem with it. And don't u have to actually pay to use the 360 Online??

To me it's a no brainer the Ps3 is a great gaming machine, with the added advantage of being a Blueray player, and doesn't seem to anywhere near as unreliable as the 360 is
Old 23 April 2008, 08:10 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Well the poll is fubarred,

i voted PS3 when i meant to have voted 360

Doh

Mart
Old 23 April 2008, 11:44 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Ps3's are great, i have one, and love it, it is a more sociable form of gaming, but when everyone's gone home and i want some serious gaming action, i play the Pc

I prefer first person shooters, and the Pc really is leagues above any console IMO, always has been, always will be.
Makes me laugh, as some of my mates always spout the same crap about being able to 'kick my ***' at FP games if we could play pc vs Ps3 online

However, on games like COD 4, they all play with the auto-aim on to aid accuracy and improve kill rate
Dont even think theres an option on the Pc to let the machine aim for you

Pcs are so much more that gaming machines too, id be lost without the internet, and storage for over 200 gigs of tunes

I voted Ps3 by the way