Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private Access

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 10:52 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Access

Our house has no adopted public access. The path to the front door is shared by 5 houses and has no street lighting. Similarly our garage is at the rear of the property and the driveway is shared by 5 houses who each have garages and driveways which are private. Again there is no street lighting.

The shared areas for the purposes of land registry are divided up and each of us owns a portion. The deed documents state that we must maintain to a good order.

What happens if someone was to trip over and injure themselves? there is no sign to state it is an unadopted path so would muggins get sued?

Should I put up a sign that says private access?
Old 23 April 2008, 11:38 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

you should find that your buildings insurance policy will have some form of public liability cover. can't comment on whether you should erect a sign, but i would have thought it was probably worth it.
Old 23 April 2008, 11:41 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If someone trips up, then tell them to pick their feet up and in future and look where they are walking. Why is eveyone wanting to sue somebody else. If the road is uneven, so what, take care!
Old 23 April 2008, 11:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

My sentiments exactly Andy, just wanting to protect my backside so to speak.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:00 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Putting up a sign saying it is "Private Access" or similar will not help in the event that someone trips up and wants to sue.

You have a duty to care for visitors to your front door.

However your building insurance will have an element of public liability insurance so you'll be covered, but the sensible thing would be to ensure the access is in a relatively good state of repair!
Old 23 April 2008, 12:01 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Check for third party liability.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I have a pal who put up a sign, Matt.

Somebody tripped over it.

Trending Topics

Old 23 April 2008, 12:22 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 23 April 2008, 12:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wifes auntie lives near the sea and has a small parcel of land around her garden, part of its on dangerous rocks and she is liable, she pays 2000 a year to insure the house and public liability insurance, she puts signs up they get ripped out or burnt, people ignore them and then try to sue her, its a nightmare, your drive should be ok as its not exactly a a cliff face I assume but never underestimate the laziness and greediness that leads people to claim.

Where did the concept of being responsible for your own actions go ?

We had a bloke trying to claim off the council for tripping over a tree root in front of our house, he wanted me to attend court and fill in forms to swear how dangerous it was, I pointed out I had lived there for 5 years and never fell over it, trees are natrual things and if ********* who cant watch where they are going start scamming the councils for 10 grand per trip (if not more) the council will simply rip them all out, thats the problem the claimants just see a new car, holiday or big telly but not the social impact of their approach.

I feel for people injured by true negligence but the false claimants spoil it, getting them all worked up in righteous indignation, they have it all worked out, phrases to make it sound worse than it was so they can get their greedy mits on a few poxy quid.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Our house has no adopted public access. The path to the front door is shared by 5 houses and has no street lighting. Similarly our garage is at the rear of the property and the driveway is shared by 5 houses who each have garages and driveways which are private. Again there is no street lighting.

The shared areas for the purposes of land registry are divided up and each of us owns a portion. The deed documents state that we must maintain to a good order.

What happens if someone was to trip over and injure themselves? there is no sign to state it is an unadopted path so would muggins get sued?

Should I put up a sign that says private access?
If I was you I'd be more worried if a neighbour tripped over on your bit of the path/driveway and tried to sue.

IMO these areas always get left to utter ruin anyway. If there's no organisation, lease or committee, no-one gives a stuff.

J.