Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well Done Boris!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2008, 12:15 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Done Boris!!!

You are the political messiah and saviour of Londinium

If I was a cockerney I would have voted for you, but as it was I voted for Betty Lowe (my local councillor).

First things first, cancel the Olympics and get rid of congestion charging - sorted...

Congrats again you representation of all that is right in politics

Well done London, you made the right choice
Old 03 May 2008, 12:18 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

no more Ken

big blow for Labour
Old 03 May 2008, 01:50 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
First things first, cancel the Olympics and get rid of congestion charging - sorted...
I think you may be dissapointed on both counts
Old 03 May 2008, 03:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
In my books he got rid of the biggest problem..... KEN and the labour cronies.
Sorting the CC out, and using the Olympic budget for the right things will be me for now
Old 03 May 2008, 05:34 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Swiss Tony will be pleased
Old 03 May 2008, 05:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Swiss Tony will be pleased
So much so that he has been at the pub since 00.07am
Old 03 May 2008, 07:51 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Hmmm you might be right - but right now, tonight, I can live in hope
Old 03 May 2008, 08:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all song and dance now ....... but, there is a real risk that Boris will make a right royal mess of London and Londoners.

It could be a lifeline for Labour come the General Election in 2010.

However, I hope I am wrong ...... he is a colourful character and it would be good to see him succeed.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's all song and dance now ....... but, there is a real risk that Boris will make a right royal mess of London and Londoners.

It could be a lifeline for Labour come the General Election in 2010.

However, I hope I am wrong ...... he is a colourful character and it would be good to see him succeed.
quick reel me in, I have bitten

Change won, Boris happens to be that change. Boris has no experience, thats right, but then Ken started somewhere.

In the meantime the UK shouted a loud message to uncle Gordon..... It was something like.... YOU SUCK!
So funny for a party thats been in power for so long to suddenly vow to start listening to the UK !

Wow well done ! Dicks !
Old 03 May 2008, 09:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've seen many changes of Government in my lifetime.

Whatever Government, of whatever colour, has a lifespan ..... it has always been the same, and will continue to be so.

Those who haven't voted under a Tory Government probably think that they need the Tories in and that they will amazingly transform the country ...... I know that, in 15 years time, you and I will be shouting for a 'change' from the then Tory Government.

Is has always been and always will remain a cycle of Labour-Tory-Labour-Tory-Labour ........ all of them get tired and lost.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Probably the first thing I would agree with you on regarding politics.

Indeed its time for a change, its unlikely every to be Lib Dem, and will always swing like a pendulem.

Have seen both in my lifetime , and will be pleased to see it change back for a while now.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
You are the political messiah and saviour of Londinium

Well done London, you made the right choice
How many times have we heard the term - Boris for Prime Minister.

Well we have the next best thing now. Let's see what he can do with it.

He has already announced a review of congestion charging allowing people to pay monthly instead of daily, and to stop speculators being able to buy houses with nice big gardens and then sell them off as building plots.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:19 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

He has also pledged to make the CC the same for all cars across the board,so we will see if this comes to fruition
Old 03 May 2008, 09:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
He has also pledged to make the CC the same for all cars across the board,so we will see if this comes to fruition
I hope he does. While its been nice for those in low emissions cars to get in for free, at the end of the day, congestion is caused by cars, no matter how dirty they are.

They should pay something at least!

As long as the VED based CC goes in the bin, especially at the higher end of the scale, im happy.

With monthly billing is just logic and should have happened from the introduction of the CC, but then fining people would have been far too fair, for crooked Ken !

Blackwall Tunnel tidal flow.... should be one of the easiest things to get going, so lets see.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:23 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

He's a good egg. Now lets see how he manages it. I don't live in London but he has always cheered me up.

Go on Boris.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:40 PM
Lisawrx

I am light years away from London, but I hope he can solve some of the problems faced by Londoners, which may well have been worsened under labour control. I don't profess to have much political knowledge, but I feel change is a good thing, especially if many who are effected by labour rules are apparently crying out for someone else. Go Boris, some love him, some probably hate him, I find him likeable.

As for the CC, I hope he does do something with that. Not necessarily scrap it, but at least have a set price for all. People with vehicles producing higher emissions are hit by the VED, why hit them with a higher charge in terms of the cc. It's a god damn congestion charge, not emissisions issue, that is already being forced on us in another tax. If the issue is congestion, then charge anyone on the road the same.
Old 03 May 2008, 09:41 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL - if you Google Congestion Charge the entry for Wikipedia is labeled thus:

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe London congestion charge is a communist surcharge for some motorists travelling within those parts of London designated as the Congestion Charge Zone ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge - 260k - Cached - Similar pages

Old 03 May 2008, 10:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

yup, everything will be £25 per vehicle, per day
Old 03 May 2008, 10:34 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

iirc he say he would be putting every vehicle back to £8/day and doing something with the phasing of traffic lights (whatever difference that will make) we will see in due course whether this was a ploy to get more votes or whether he will carry it through
Old 04 May 2008, 01:51 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Change won, Boris happens to be that change. Boris has no experience, thats right, but then Ken started somewhere.
Yes, he started a small time career on 'Have I got news for you' as well
Old 04 May 2008, 07:58 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

It would be interesting to see if he puts an 8 year cap on the mayorlship(sp?) too as mentioned during one debate.
Get rid of the bendy buses? - not an easy task
Bring back a modern form of the routemaster - highly possible and not as whacky as it sounds

I think he has been slightly underestimated during this campaign and the buffoon image he has always portrayed will truly be behind him after a short time. One interesting point is the higher turnout of voters. Is it because people were that fed up with Ken, or just that Boris has made politics slightly more interesting and he managed to engage more of the voting public.
Old 04 May 2008, 11:09 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

iirc he say he would be putting every vehicle back to £8/day and doing something with the phasing of traffic lights (whatever difference that will make) we will see in due course whether this was a ploy to get more votes or whether he will carry it through
Traffic light phasing was a BIG issue of debate when the CC consultation begun. For 6 months people started noticing traffic light sequences shortening, all red staying on longer etc.
One of the major companies who deals with this actually stated they had been asked to change certain major junctions. The same junctions were returned to their normal settings just days after the start of the CC.

Just before the Blackheath CC consultation was about to start, TfL suddenly decided the Blackwall Tunnel tidal flow system was mortally dangerous, and closed it with 48 hours noticed. Since that happened, the BWT approach road is gridlocked daily! Suprisingly its caused massive congestion in the Blackheath area, so the consultation WOULD have found that an eastern extension of the CC would have been favourable.

Personally I sincerly hope doing some of these things like sorting the CC are at the front of his things to do list. Showing London he is serious.
The CC should have stayed at £5 IMO, rather than a raise to £8 for drivers to subsidise the "green" cars, which apparently dont cause congestion lol.

There are other cities that could benefit from some cheap s/h bendy buses, making room for the replacements. I dont think its stupid at all to have a competition to design the new routemaster, an idea Ken scoffed at. However this is the man that offered thousands of pounds of tax payers money as a prize for whoever could solve the problem of cooling on the underground.

I think there is an even share regarding the cause of the rise in turnout too. Some peoples interests in politics have been reborn, by introducing a colourful character like Boris into office. He is probably THE best known candidate ever to have stood for office.