Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Possible to sue an airline in small claims court?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 10:15 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Possible to sue an airline in small claims court?

edit to remove anything the webmaster regards as potentially libellous

Last edited by NACRO; 14 May 2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:21 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Did you talk to Virgin customer services? I have always found them helpful and understanding.

Steve
Old 09 May 2008, 10:25 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Last edited by NACRO; 14 May 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Was this in Premium Economy? Guess who is flying VA PE to the States soon? It wasn't Heathrow to SFO was it?
Old 09 May 2008, 10:29 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It would seem that its a common trend now BBC NEWS | England | Villagers can sue over air crash
Old 09 May 2008, 10:34 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

So NACRO what you are saying is that they provided you the extra legroom seat as requested but it was the fact that they let people stand and drink near where you were sat that bothered you?

Were you in business class or simply in economy (albiet it with slightly more legroom)???
Old 09 May 2008, 10:44 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Your second paragraph says:

Not the actual flight itself but lounge, seat upgrade and general crap service during the flight.

But your rant is about noisy pax in what I'm guessing is the PE cabin? Were there actually any problems with the lounge, seats and service?
Old 09 May 2008, 10:46 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
As the per the title, is it possible or are they protected from small claims court action following their inability to provide services I paid for?

Not the actual flight itself but lounge, seat upgrade and general crap service during the flight.

A bit of background to let me blow off some steam.

Virgin Atlantic (wakners) 12 hour direct flight, paid extra for better seats to find I'm given some in an area where the sort of vile low lives I expect only to find on charter flights to Iberia like to congregate while drinking themselves even more stupid on 'free' booze. Overall I'd have been better off sat next to some screaming brat in terms of the work I managed to get done.
Why do they let these sort of people out of cattle class???
Obviously talking to the plebs about their behaviour bore no fruit other than a token attempt at acting like human beings for 5 minutes. They should have air marshalls to taser these dongrels IMO.
I'm starting to feel better already typing this although not as good as if I'd chinned the ugliest looking member of the epsilons.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
No, I don't think you can sue for other people not being to your liking.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:16 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
No, I don't think you can sue for other people not being to your liking.
That's a shame From what I gather PE is very nice, fingers crossed that I don't get NACRO in my cabin or I might be forced to sue for all the mental trauma that would cause
Old 09 May 2008, 11:36 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Also some compensation in the fact the trolley dollys wear very short skirts.
Right-wing sentiment and sexism? Who are you and where is NACRO?
Old 09 May 2008, 06:01 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Old 09 May 2008, 06:49 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You should have asked for a move, I hear the wing was free

Or maybe because you are so perfect you could have gone in the cockpit...

Oh and anyone who would put something like:

NACRO
Scooby Regular

into their profile really is a strange person, who would really want the country to decline into such a sad situation & gloat about being happy about it

Last edited by PaulC72; 09 May 2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 07:09 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PE is nothing more than that... premium cattle class. You get what you pay for.

I actually think Virgin PE is very good, and have flown it many times to NY and Tokyo, both routes being fine. If I need to get a lot of work done, or want some quality sleep, I always fly Business Class (or Upper Class on virgin). Business Class is called Business Class because it is for people who are flying for business, hence, you get more room, quiet and comfort, and space to work. But Premium Economy does exactly what it says on the tin

-

Basically, you were unlucky about the people who were on the plane, but that's life, and that's economy travel. You were just on the slightly more expensive end of the economy travel, but its still economy - hence the excellent value.

you cheepskate!

Last edited by ex-webby; 09 May 2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 07:58 PM
scoobmeister
Scooby Regular

Nacro sounds like one of these Numptey's that would sue their own Gran for making them a cup of coffee that they deemed to be "too hot", if anything its these people that are putting this country on its ****, wasting mine and your tax trying to sue people for pointless and petty things! Grow up and get a life!
Old 09 May 2008, 08:12 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Old 09 May 2008, 08:25 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

edit: paul72's question: the type of person that has their assets in the eurozone and ringfenced and happily watching the beginning of your downfall before cashing in on it.
LOL that is a bit of a generalisation about MY circumstances.

Best fly business class next time as long as someone else is paying of course ROTFL.
Old 09 May 2008, 08:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Old 09 May 2008, 08:50 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Should have flown BA..... there are many reasons I fly transatlantic with BA 15 times a yr.....and don't fly with Virgin.

Why on earth did you not upgrade from premium economy to UC with miles (or cash if its that important to get some work done)?
Never quite seen their logic in putting PE on the upper deck either (or split UC/PE) bizarre, or charging for exit seats
I like it being quiet up there with only 20 passengers upstairs in club on BA.

Upper class is poor in comparison to the business and first offerings by competitors.

As for getting a refund? No way pedro- you will more than likely get bunged some miles and a standard format apology email and thats about it.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Some real tw@ts on here who know f@ck all about airlines. Really makes me chuckle. Try spending a few weeks with the staff who work there, and I'm not talking about " trolley dollies " and then use phrases like "shower of sheet "

NACRO, I'm sure Virgin will only be too happy to fill your seat with someone far less obnoxious.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:43 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Some real tw@ts on here who know f@ck all about airlines. Really makes me chuckle.
Hmm, I got that impression too I'm happy with the seats I've booked, my best friend's partner is a Purser on VA and consequently he flies VA PE/Upper class frequently and rates both highly, he also said we'll get well looked after as he'll have a word with whoever is working our flight

Incidentally after reading this thread I looked at the upgrade to Upper Class, it would've worked out at over 3k each which is all money I'd rather put towards having an excellent time once we get to the States. It's OK if somebody else's business is paying I guess
Old 12 May 2008, 11:16 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Old 12 May 2008, 11:56 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add balance to these comments which some might consider potentially libellous, I would like to say the following :

In my many (estiamte 50 or so) flights with Virgin, transatlantic and London-Tokyo, I have always been more than satisfied.

I was not aware that you got into the lounge as a Premium Economy passenger, but the club house lounges when travelling upper class are very nice. Certainly not a joke.

In addition, the cabin has ALWAYS been absolutely fine, except one occasion when my seat didn't function properly, which was dealt with immediately and perfectly.

The inflight entertainment is also arguably the best of any airline, and is light years better than the vast majority.

Of course, not every single flight has been 100% perfect. I once experience horrific delays due to really bad weather, and have once or twice sat next to people I'd rather not have.

But unless you're enough of a big shot to have your own jet on standby, I think most people can accept that - from time to time - **** happens, and you just have to get on with it. All seasoned travellers I know seem to feel this way.

Anyway. It sounds to me like you got exactly what you paid (excellent value) for, and got unlucky with the people you were sat near.. just as unlucky as Virgin got.

Either way, considering you had a full refund for you upgrade, plus vouchers, and the standard customer service trained unreserved apology - which is exactly what you actually wanted - I would consider it a little unfair to continue to call them "to55ers".

Please keep all further comments non-libellous.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:05 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Update: after a long and heated exchange of emails and finally phone calls I got back every penny extra I paid along with vouchers and an unreserved apology and thanks for highlighting the failures in procedure and safety.

Still won't be using those to55ers again however attractive the bits of fluff they have pushing trolleys around are.

edit to add: the comment 'shower of sheet' seems fairly apt considering the cleanliness and state of repair of the passenger cabin. I've never been on such dirty and tired looking old aircraft and the airport lounge was a joke.

Wow, you managed to do all that over the weekend did you? You're not Nicky Campbell of Watchdog fame are you?
Old 12 May 2008, 05:29 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Nacro,

Something tells me you don't travel very much……..

If you did you wouldnt notice muppets in my opinion these people are even worse in club and first. There's always one or two people that have won the lottery, holiday of a lifetime or something. Who cares go to sleep?

Why don't you complain it would get lost in the ocean of complaints they get every day from people who don't appreciate a plane ride is like a train ride or whatever. How many people take British rail to court?
Old 12 May 2008, 05:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The joys of flight. (LMAO even more at the post ratings - how petty )

I've never been on such dirty and tired looking old aircraft and the airport lounge was a joke
In fairness, I am yet to be on an aircraft that is what I call "clean" or remotely that (might answer why I always catch a cold on long hauls).

Talking of cleanliness, British airports are filthy, I've been to airports in the third world that are cleaner...especially the toilets. One would think the private lounges are better, nope. Just you get a filthy germ ridden towel as an alternative to the hand dryer (well at least in the Servisair lounges you do ).

Seems the word "clean" in the UK language is defined by a surface being wiped over with damp/mouldy cloth and the floor given a once over with the mop sans any form of santising solution - or diluted to the weakest concentration possible.

And don't start me on the state of the filters in any casette-type a/c unit I happen to notice.

God knows how a germaphobe would cope in such places
Old 12 May 2008, 06:07 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Update: after a long and heated exchange of emails and finally phone calls I got back every penny extra I paid along with vouchers and an unreserved apology and thanks for highlighting the failures in procedure and safety.

Still won't be using those to55ers again however attractive the bits of fluff they have pushing trolleys around are.

edit to add: the comment 'shower of sheet' seems fairly apt considering the cleanliness and state of repair of the passenger cabin. I've never been on such dirty and tired looking old aircraft and the airport lounge was a joke.

Not to sound rude, however whilst reading this thread you come across as a little bit of a dick.
Old 12 May 2008, 08:07 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Bet you did not get you money back.....
Old 12 May 2008, 08:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Last edited by NACRO; 14 May 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 03:06 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster

I was not aware that you got into the lounge as a Premium Economy passenger, but the club house lounges when travelling upper class are very nice. Certainly not a joke.

You dont.... Upper class or Virgin gold (or Star Alliance gold...BMI gold for example).....so not quite sure how he got in the clubhouse in this instance..
And yes I agree- the LHR clubhouse is v nice indeed.

30 hours of flying this weekend just gone...
Even though AA's service is sometimes somewhat questionable - even in first class- I would still never demand my money back. Some miles as a service recovery perhaps, but not a refund. If something dangerous or really unexpected were to happen, then maybe, but expecting a refund just because you had some noisy chavs in the cabin with you? Gimme a break...
Thankfully my BA F/J sectors made up forfor the AA bits- even if I did have a dicky in seat power socket ... (I WILL moan about that, and will get some miles more than likely..).

How you got a refund for an upgrade with basically no complaint whatsoever except for the type of passengers also on the plane, is lost on me

Last edited by Freak; 13 May 2008 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible to sue an airline in small claims court?