Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boris, traffic, and the CC...

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2008, 10:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boris, traffic, and the CC...

Could it be about to happen, the scrapping of the £25 planned charge.

Wednesday 14th May£25 C-CHARGE OFFICIALLY SCRAPPED?
Unpopular rise in Congestion Charge could be binned within weeks

End of teh charge as we know it?London Mayor Boris Johnson could be on the verge of scrapping the £25 Congestion Charge.

The scheme had originally been dreamt up by previous Mayor Ken Livingstone and had proved deeply unpopular.

New Mayor Johnson has already expressed his view that the £25 charge for large cars is unfair and is expected to officially scrap the proposals.

A spokesman for the Mayor told PistonHeads today that the Mayor will make the charge fairer and getting rid of a £25 hike could be one way of doing it.

Traffic lights will also be re-phased to improve the flow of traffic in the capital.

The spokesman added: ‘The Mayor is committed to making the congestion charge fairer and more effective for Londoners as swiftly as possible.

'And his view that the £25 charge for large cars is unfair is well known. He has also committed to consult, and to act on, the opinions of Londoners that live within and on the borders of the western extension of the congestion charge zone.

‘These are not changes that can be made after just over a week in charge but work has begun and the Mayor hopes to be able to announce further details of his plans within weeks.’
More to the point, it will be interesting to see first hand if the flow of London's traffic could have been improved all along by rephasing etc.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:53 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

bloody brilliant news
Old 14 May 2008, 11:04 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

More to the point, it will be interesting to see first hand if the flow of London's traffic could have been improved all along by rephasing etc.

COnsidering it was Ken that rephased it to make it deliberately more congested, that shouldnt be too hard to fix.....
Old 14 May 2008, 11:09 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As long as there are any civil engineers left that have an inkling about traffic managemnet; Seems the bunch round here haven't a clue when it comes to managing traffic effectively...even when thay have a lovely brand new road to plan, build and play about with
Old 15 May 2008, 07:03 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
COnsidering it was Ken that rephased it to make it deliberately more congested, that shouldnt be too hard to fix.....
I understood that traffic planners had been told to increase the dead band on lights (where they are all on red) and to phase out both opposite lanes being on green at the same time to increase congestion. This was supposedly done so that people became more accepting of the need for congestion charging and less likely to travel into towns and cities.
Is this true?

I've certainly noticed locally that very few lights now have both opposite lanes on green at the same time. We seem to have gone to one road at a time lights.
Old 15 May 2008, 07:39 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

at last something that is positive from a politician.

long live the reign of mayor bojo!
Old 15 May 2008, 07:42 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

i've noticed this too. In recent years, driving in london has become all about waiting at traffic lights.
Lets hope boris can put a stop to this.
Astraboy.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:52 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Yup I know
Just like there were before the CC started, suddenly now Boris is in, there is a rush of activity from companies like Peak traffic management.
Not driving enough to notice the changed yet, but im sure as soon as some of these junctions are given some attention, things will start to improve. Which in itself will cast a darker shadow over Ken's legacy....

Anyone heard from him out of interest ?? lol
Old 15 May 2008, 10:20 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Wink

I heard reports that he was last seen entangled in his bike being dragged along underneath a bendy-bus.....
Old 15 May 2008, 10:29 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I heard reports that he was last seen entangled in his bike being dragged along underneath a bendy-bus.....
One can dream....
Old 15 May 2008, 10:40 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
But unaware of what was going on around him (as he was in office) due to his morning Whiskey?
Old 15 May 2008, 11:11 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
One can dream....
A bloody good dream

It's a shame that Boris is going to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort in getting rid of all the deadwood in his office and also undoing or rectifying past mistakes by weasel face ken ...that alone will take months, if not years to fix. In the meantime he also will have to carry on some unpleasant and unpopular policies simply because it would be uneconomical to reverse.
An example.
Many londoners would have noticed the narrowing of streets and widening of the pavements. In addition bloody speed ramps have sprung up at every junction, intersection and along these roads. London users will be familiar with these things. Now it will cost a fortune to remove them and put the roads back as they were and allow the traffic to flow, so I guess these will stay simply because of that reason.
Madness ? Yes

But it is nice to see that Boris is starting to at least do some things from his manifesto...hopefully it is not just lip service to the masses
Old 15 May 2008, 11:20 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I agree with every word, especially with the damage that has been done to the roads with regards to layout. The planning is SHOCKING or just deliberate, but I reckon school kids could do a better job!
Old 15 May 2008, 12:43 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

He really needs to get rid of those long buses. When one blocks off a junction it has a massive knock on effect. Then i'm sure a few hundred yards up the road there will be another long bus blocking another junction.

Yesterday I saw two following each other and were both the same number bus and had hardly any passengers, it ludicrous. This is the equivalent of approx 10 cars in length.

Get rid of them!!
Old 15 May 2008, 03:05 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

cmon boris at least he has some clue to what is going on . ken was a **** and was sending london to its death pretty rapidly
Old 15 May 2008, 03:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I am sure he will keep to his adjenda with regards to the bendy buses, but of course a replacement is needed first. So I think thats one of the longer term things.

In the short term, I would love to see BW Tunnel tidal flow open again, motorcycles in bus lanes, the rephasing of lights, CC into order with dropped £25 band, monthly automatic billing.
Thats on the transport adjenda anyway.

Not sure if anyone reads auto express, Mike Rutherford, what a writer. Same as Clarkson, speaks his mind, and I have to say he raises a number of excellent points re London and transport inc public transport.
Old 15 May 2008, 03:22 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

Theres a lot of rot to sort out some is almost criminal. I run a courier company today had a parking fine sent in for a vehicle in a red route parking bay complete with signs to say 20 minutes loading allowed. Nicked by CCTV operator, phoned up to ask WTF was going on to be told they issue tickets when they don't see any activity for 3 minutes and just appeal it. So I've got to write letters and waste time on it makes you want to assasinate people!
Old 15 May 2008, 03:25 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by al4x1
Theres a lot of rot to sort out some is almost criminal. I run a courier company today had a parking fine sent in for a vehicle in a red route parking bay complete with signs to say 20 minutes loading allowed. Nicked by CCTV operator, phoned up to ask WTF was going on to be told they issue tickets when they don't see any activity for 3 minutes and just appeal it. So I've got to write letters and waste time on it makes you want to assasinate people!
The first point I would make is I am concerned that a trained CCTV operator is requested to commit 3 minutes observing ONE vehicle.... Im sure a lot more was happening in other places in that 3+ mins.

Local authority parking enforcement was SUCH a bad idea. Its a licence to print money.
Want more money, paint more lines and parking bays!
Old 15 May 2008, 03:33 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

thats my feeling, we're getting inundated with fines issued by camera at the moment most successfully appealed, does make you wonder if they are there to cut down on crime or raise revenue especially when issuing tickets on vehicles correctly parked and going about legitimate business. i'm sure its a nice earner for TFL but something about it stinks.
Old 15 May 2008, 03:47 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Not sure if anyone reads auto express, Mike Rutherford, what a writer. Same as Clarkson, speaks his mind, and I have to say he raises a number of excellent points re London and transport inc public transport.
yup
Liked his take on ken getting told to **** off

In the biggest political shake-up in four decades, the nation has decided that the motorist-loathing Labour Party should pay the price for relentlessly beating up drivers for several years. Finally, innocent, fed-up, ripped-off, bruised and battered car user victims gave as good as they got by kneeing the guilty aggressors in the ballot boxes at the local elections. Now that’s my idea of democracy!

But the best news is Labour’s Chief Car Hater, Ken Livingstone, has finally been spanked and dumped as the capital’s Mayor. And that dismissal is significant in view of the fact that, after the Prime Minister, the Mayor of London is arguably the most powerful politician in England, if not Britain.

I know what you’re thinking: you don’t live in London, you don’t go there and you don’t care about the shenanigans. Fair enough. Yet wherever you live in England (and, to a lesser extent, the rest of Britain), what happens in this city should concern you greatly, because the place is a cruel proving ground-***-insane experimental laboratory for elsewhere. Underestimate the positive and negative power of this over-influential town at your peril.

When Livingstone seized the place as his own scandal-ridden fiefdom, he introduced a £5 a day congestion tax that quickly rose to £8 and was (until he was booted out by the residents of London) scheduled to rise to £25 later this year. He called owners of all-wheel-drive cars “idiots”. He craftily avoided his own congestion taxes by spending thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money on thirsty, congestion tax-free cabs. He wanted 20mph imits across London. He sabotaged the idea of free-flowing traffic thanks to endless road closures, badly phased lights and 24-hour bus lanes seven days a week – even when buses don’t run 24/7. Parking fees in ‘his’ city hit around £50 a day.

He introduced gas-guzzling, cash-guzzling, road space-guzzling bendy buses that are as long and inappropriate as artic lorries. Violent crime and fare dodging are common on Livingstone’s bus and rail network. He charged an exorbitant £4 to travel even for a few seconds* on rancid, crime-ridden Underground trains that are notorious for failing, forcing passengers occasionally to disembark and walk through terrifyingly dark, dirty tunnels.

Talking of terror, Livingstone appointed a former member of a banned terrorist organisation to the board of Transport for London. And the Mayor said there was nothing wrong with Abu Hamza’s son working as a sub-contractor on the capital’s train system. Public transport unions collectively donated more than £100,000 to Ken’s election campaign.

The scandals, sleaze and controversies didn’t end there. Whisky at work, cover-ups, racist slurs, punch-ups, dodgy friends and acquaintances and hypocrisy were among Livingstone’s other flaws. Had he been voted back in, the man’s blatant discrimination against cars and car people would have intensified. But thankfully, the elections ended the reign of Livingstone and the entire motorist-hostile Labour regime. And, in the run-up to the General Election, some 30 million or so drivers – with a similar number of votes up their sleeves – have demonstrated they have more collective clout than maybe they had realised.
Old 15 May 2008, 03:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Superb write up that was
Raises many valid points, and I hope BJ reads the column.
Old 15 May 2008, 05:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

A great writeup....and he is right about the vote in my pocket. No way in hell is labour seeing office again if I have anything to do with it.

Worryingly though, other main parties are not yet picking up on just how much the motorist feels abused. They still, under the guise of green xxx, want to tax people out of existence. The worst it would appear are the liberals, our local liberal was talking about green taxes being MORE important than solving violent crime. Amazingly he wonders why we did not vote for him...
Old 15 May 2008, 05:35 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol some do seem to take the ball and just run. Sometimes picking up a grenade instead of the ball it would appear.
Its all about moderation, rather than extremes, and I think thats what the Tories are sort of offering these days.
As with Boris, I think he knew where to draw the line, and stopped before promising paying people to drive in London and make public transport free.

CC, fine, but make it sensible and fair
Public transport, why is cash TWICE (if not more than that) as expensive as using those Seafood Card or whatever they are!

Mike speaks a lot of sense, and loud too, maybe he should be used as a advisor for motoring.
Old 15 May 2008, 06:02 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

i expect to see him on the next celeb big brother, the hasbeen muppet
Old 15 May 2008, 06:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
i expect to see him on the next celeb big brother, the hasbeen muppet

Haha now that would be cool, see how long he could last.