Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problem With Manager

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 09:55 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Problem With Manager

Does being the manager at a company give you the right to speak to your staff how you like?

After having a few issues, i had a chat with my manager the other day, who advises me he can ''talk to me how the f**k he likes'', which apparantly makes it ok for him to call his staff ''f**king lazy c**ts'' (dispite the fact that we work flat out for 9 hours a day, twice as hard as he does, rarely taking a break).

Is he really allowed to speak to us how he wants, or should i take it further?

Thanks

Gary
Old 15 May 2008, 10:02 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is no and yes.

Record it. Tell him you are doing so and its all legal then have a word with HR they should sort him out. If not you have a nice claim should anything happen!

5t.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:05 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A manager of mine spoke to me like that and I made a formal complaint. He was shuffled sideways shortly afterwards and eventually left the company.

It seems I was the straw that broke the camels back - other complaints had been made but none formally. Mine kind of turned the tide against this guy.

For some reason afterwards he hated my guts
Old 15 May 2008, 10:08 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i am a manager in the construction industry. you can speak to your staff how you like within reason, particulary in the construction industry.

however any decent manager will speak to you as they wish to be spoken too, fair enough if a bollocking is order then i will shout and use the odd f word.

to get any respect from a team you should be treat your subordinates with a bit of respect. workplace banter is also essential for morale .

just my opinion, but i think your boss is out of order.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:08 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Cheers folks.

Might have to have a quiet work later.

He's normally a nice guy, but when he is in a bad mood he takes it directly out on his staff, which i find very unprofessional
Old 15 May 2008, 10:42 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Cheers folks.

Might have to have a quiet work later.

He's normally a nice guy, but when he is in a bad mood he takes it directly out on his staff, which i find very unprofessional
Gary,

I’ve had the same problem in the past, speaking from experience take him to one side (when he starts) away from the floor and tackle him

It is completely unprofessional to do it in front of other staff, plus when its just you & him, its his word against yours and vice versa, so if he’s being a c*nt with you, you can be exactly the same back
Old 15 May 2008, 10:47 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Bit like my manager - he's normally okay but when he's in a mood, he unapproachable! This is especially the case at pay review time
Old 15 May 2008, 10:47 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

being a manager can be a real ball ache when it comes to addressing your staff buddy

a few years back i worked for LIDL supermarkets as a store manager,always got on well with my staff,and treated them as friends/equall's,in return the staff worked hard and more often then not,played hard

anyhow the upper management took a dim view of my management "style" and decided they wanted me to change my stance on practice,being under the impression that if i was a C**T to my staff,then they would work harder/faster etc etc

so i put this to a vote at a staff meeting(with said upper management present)open and honest

needless to say i was transfered shortly after and then the head office nobbers did everything they could to make my life a living hell,so i took advice and quit,then took them to a tribuneral(sp?) and got a tidy pay-out

moral is buddy,in my opinion managers should treat there staff with repsect,but must know where the "line" is as it can soon become open season

your manager sounds like he/she is hung up on "superiority"

marcus
Old 15 May 2008, 11:05 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I am a manager and like said above I like to treat people in a way in which I would not mind being treated. Being firm and fare is my way and any manager who shouts and ***** in an office based environment in my opinion cannot handle that kind of position and therefore shouldnt be in that position.

Also you mention that you all work twice as hard as him, either that means you are all supervisors, or he isnt a proper manager as he is doing too much

good luck anyway
Old 15 May 2008, 11:21 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are his manager treats him the same

The language is a you can't speak to staff like without leaving yourself open to disciplinary, bullying etc.

Doesn't make for a nice working environment and will only breed discontent if left to fester

Hope you get it sorted matey.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I am a Director & wouldnt speak to my staff like that. There is a time & a place for such actions.

I bought all the staff a chinese yesterday, although making record profits usually helps

Speak to your HR dept or your managers superior if you feel you arent getting anywhere, theres nothing worse than a member of staff doing this to his manager.

Good Luck
Old 15 May 2008, 12:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to be careful ... although HR will support you, if the manager is getting results for the company the powers that be might decide its easy to push you out ...

I'm not saying don't fight it .. but just watch your back ... once you make a complaint it will follow you, you'll find other managers will treat you differently, possibly not how you want to be treated.

I know when I was a manager in ASDA if a colleague made a complaint for bullying we would speak to them basically like a child, very calmly and carefully - just how the training had taught us, we would also conduct performance reviews rather than just having a quiet word.. If someone was working slow normally I would shout some kind of abuse at them and they would (knowing me) working that little bit harder and then shout **** off or similar back at me, those that had complained, I would ask them to come to the office and have a formal chat about their performance.

In all honestly though the people who complain in a supermarket are the lazy ones 9/10 times. Our regional manger would beat any real bullying manager to death !

Big guy

Just to let you know no one ever complained about me.... they told me face to face and the issue was sorted then and there ..

Last edited by pimmo2000; 15 May 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:48 PM
New_scooby_04

Gary,

The simple answer is no, he can't talk to you how he likes and yes you can do something about it!

The more complicated answer is you might not want to do anything about it depending on a) the support you'll get from other members of staff; people can suddenly get struck down with the yellow belly as soon as someone makes a stand and asks for support, despite bitching constantly about an issue when it's all off the record: don't leave yourself exposed.

b) Get as much evidence as you can.

c) Get wise to the companies grievance procedures

d) Have your union on standby just in case - might pay to have a word with them first.

Personally, I'd have a quiet word with him off record and say that you're doing this so the whole thing doesn't disintegrate into a row and so as not to undermine his authority in front of the other staff. You appreciate that he is under pressure on occassion and may not be in the best of moods, but there is no excuse for being abusive to fellow employees: he wouldn't tolerate it from you and just using the old " I'm your superior- I can do what I want" amounts to bulying in the workplace. End by saying that you won't be having this dicussion with him again.

Good luck.

Ns04
Old 15 May 2008, 12:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

YHPM!
Old 15 May 2008, 12:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
YHPM!
Old 15 May 2008, 12:56 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Just **** his wife Gary , that'll **** him off

Or his Daughter if he has one?

Sure the missus will give you a leave of absence for a night
Old 15 May 2008, 12:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RMA26

Sure the missus will give you a leave of absence for a night
If she does, can I borrow her?? *I remember the SN wives thread*

Ns" well that's my next insurance quote through the roof!" 04
Old 15 May 2008, 01:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

No he can't.
I get on really well with my manager. More like mates really.
It obviously works as we keep on exceeding our targets.

Nip it in the bud now my friend. Or just rememeber this when he asks your for a favour!
Old 15 May 2008, 01:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You have another PM you great big girls blouse - stop being oversensitive and get on with it!
Old 15 May 2008, 01:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

You have another PM you great big girls blouse - stop being oversensitive and get on with it!

Don't think Mrs Moley would be too happy with me doing that, i'm still in her bad books for joining the ''she'd get it'' group on Facebook
Old 15 May 2008, 01:14 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Don't think Mrs Moley would be too happy with me doing that, i'm still in her bad books for joining the ''she'd get it'' group on Facebook
Pa, that's nothing. Try convincing her that a 3 day weekend stag party in Dublin with 4 of your mates, is a 'good' idea!
Old 15 May 2008, 01:14 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Link please
Old 15 May 2008, 01:15 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
If she does, can I borrow her?? *I remember the SN wives thread*

Ns" well that's my next insurance quote through the roof!" 04
Is that a Que starting to form
Old 15 May 2008, 01:18 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
being a manager can be a real ball ache when it comes to addressing your staff buddy

a few years back i worked for LIDL supermarkets as a store manager,always got on well with my staff,and treated them as friends/equall's,in return the staff worked hard and more often then not,played hard

anyhow the upper management took a dim view of my management "style" and decided they wanted me to change my stance on practice,being under the impression that if i was a C**T to my staff,then they would work harder/faster etc etc

so i put this to a vote at a staff meeting(with said upper management present)open and honest

needless to say i was transfered shortly after and then the head office nobbers did everything they could to make my life a living hell,so i took advice and quit,then took them to a tribuneral(sp?) and got a tidy pay-out

moral is buddy,in my opinion managers should treat there staff with repsect,but must know where the "line" is as it can soon become open season

your manager sounds like he/she is hung up on "superiority"

marcus
Just proves the point that so many "upper managmenet types" are so far away from reality that they talk from their a$$es all day.

Like you say, you had a good rapport going and these tw@ts were still not impressed.....

Manager or no manager, respect should be shown to staff, yes, some will take the p1ss, but a nice friendly but firm stance goes a long way.
Old 15 May 2008, 01:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RMA26
Link please

yes ,me please
is that the same group as the " I would hit it " one

Gary, just as an aside, no-one in a managerial postion should talk like that to their staff and fellow collegues. You can either ignore it or have a quiet word
Old 15 May 2008, 01:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

POST THE GODDAM LINK NOW!
Old 15 May 2008, 01:35 PM
Moley
Sponsor

POST THE GODDAM LINK NOW!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6511824278