Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 20mph limits on the way

Front page of today's Times.

20mph in urban residential areas.
6 points for 'excessive' speeding
lower DD limit.
Variable limits outside schools

I don't see them achieving the target like that. Why is it all stick, stick, stick

Why not improve the general standard of driving. Free training. Free skid control courses. Superlicences that involve a stricter test but allow you to do 90mph on the motorway. Rewards for examples of good driving.

Let's see the figures as to how many of the deaths are due to 'excessive' speed or people driving with a blood alcohol level between the proposed new limit and the current limit.

How many are down to numpty cyclists jumping red lights, drunken pedestrians crossing motorways, bolting horses, loads falling off lorries, unsafe vehicles, foreign drivers, poorly lit roadworks, etc., etc.

FFS get your priorities right.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:01 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think theres a good case for 20mph limits in certian areas. And there is no excuse whatsoever for going over 30 in residential areas.

So long as they are sensible in deciding what areas are 20mph limits and do it for the right safety reasons.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This will cost billions, no doubt partially offset by yet more fines and exactions. However, more people die from MRSA infections acquired while undergoing unrelated treatment in 'Nu' Labour's failing NHS.

More old people die from care home neglect and starvation.

So the motorist is to hit yet again...
Old 16 May 2008, 01:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It does say residential areas and Im happy with that, same as drink driving, either up the limit or a total ban of it IMO.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:15 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

It will not matter what the DD limit is, even if it were zero the type of people who get pissed up and drive will still get pissed up and drive!

As for the 20 mph limits, I figured that would be brought in sooner or later ie all 30 mph zones to 20. I'm sure all 60 roads will become 40's and motorways to 50mph eventually.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
As for the 20 mph limits, I figured that would be brought in sooner or later ie all 30 mph zones to 20. I'm sure all 60 roads will become 40's and motorways to 50mph eventually.
Why not have somebody walking in front of the car waving a red flag as a warning to people that a motor vehicle is coming.

What has happened being responsible for your own safety instead of passing the buck to somebody else?
Old 16 May 2008, 01:24 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I agree the level of driving should be looked at - but thats is fixing the problem (which is just not done these days !) and hence will not make any money through increased fines due to lower speed limits.
I agree with some 20 mph area in residential but blaming the motorist when kids are not given any education on road safety is not clever.

Richard
Old 16 May 2008, 01:27 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Why not have somebody walking in front of the car waving a red flag as a warning to people that a motor vehicle is coming.

What has happened being responsible for your own safety instead of passing the buck to somebody else?

completely agree....

roads for driving pavements for walking (within reason however)

lets cotton wool the world up!
Old 16 May 2008, 01:43 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
It does say residential areas and Im happy with that.
Me too, so long as the signage is good. One "20mph" sign at the entrance to a zone is not good enough IMO. I can see people not realising that they are outside the zone and continuing at 20 because they daren't risk three points.

What about the 6 point question though. If you've not had or caused an accident then that demonstrates that that speed on that occasion was not worthy of being half way to a ban. You can already be reported to court if necessary, e.g. over a ton, where you can be instantly banned. This seems a lazy way to enable automatic enforcement of a non-proportional punishment to me.
Old 16 May 2008, 01:54 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

F%£$%4 about time too, the amount of ***** i see driving at 40mph + in a 30 is disgusting, men and women... anything about 45 in 30 should be 6moth ban IMO becouse if you don't know your doing 45 in a 30 you really shouln't be driving...
Old 16 May 2008, 02:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its should be based on a map of where the accidents have occurred since their records began, not just blanket 30 mph becomes 20 mph as we all know stretches that seem over limited at 30 and some where 30 is too fast.

Academic as nobody will be able to afford to drive anyway !
Old 16 May 2008, 02:12 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with 20mph limits in residential areas, it just good sense.
Old 16 May 2008, 02:16 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

i seriously think that half the problems would not exist if it was not so easy to pass your driving test, i had the missfortune of going out in the G/F`s car last night and spent most of the journey telling her not to crash into the car on her left because she was in the wrong lane etc etc etc

Old 16 May 2008, 02:32 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
It would seem so on first looking at it. BUT how would *residential* be defined? And who would define it? I'll tell you - it would be defined such that is there was any sort of house within a mile of a road that road would be *residential* and thus 20mph .....

You also need the limits to be defined nationally and NOT to let local councils set them as they are all then set dependant on who winghes the most about speeding. NIMBYs in other words.

Dave

Yep I agree

thats twice we've agreed now
Old 16 May 2008, 03:02 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
i seriously think that half the problems would not exist if it was not so easy to pass your driving test, i had the missfortune of going out in the G/F`s car last night and spent most of the journey telling her not to crash into the car on her left because she was in the wrong lane etc etc etc
Agreed, theres certain people i know that i will refuse to get in the car with if they ever pass their test as they struggle to think about more than 1 action at once while driving which is asking for trouble.

Too many idiots on the road that just cant drive is the biggest danger IMO.
Old 17 May 2008, 12:48 PM
WRX_Dan
Scooby Newbie

The amount of cars that I overtake in a 60 limit, who then appear on your bumper when I drive at 30 in a 30 limit, drives me mad. They drive at 45 in a 60, and continue at 45 in a 30 WTF are they thinking of???

Ban the F*ckers for life.............

Bad drivers with a 20mph limit will kill the same number of people. Road safety campaigns and better driving standards may reduce the number, but will cost more and not increase revenues like speeding tickets do......

Ban this Government and stop them making any more ridiculous laws would be my answer.............

Thanks Labour, you also killed my Gran with CDIF and they think speeding motorists are a problem!
Old 17 May 2008, 01:16 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

How will they enforce the 20mph,more speed cameras,more speed bumps etc?

I don't have a problem with the speed limit being lowered but i live within ½ mile of 3 schools are the ******* who i see driving poorly/speeding is normally ther parents picking their kids up.

This makes interesting reading imo

Public Affairs : 20mph roads pump up CO2 emissions by 10 per cent - The AA
Old 17 May 2008, 03:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Times link above
More than 3,000 people die on the roads each year, including motorists, passengers, cyclists and pedestrians.
There's some answers for you ! Just last week I saw 3 pedestrians step into the path of very closely approaching vehicles. Two were wearing earphones, one was sending a text I also witnessed a cyclist almost squashed on a busy, very large roundabout as he made use of the right-hand lane to make a right turn, where the HC advises cyclists to use the very outside, left lane on a roundabout to give them an easy exit in danger, to minimise the threat to one side, and for them to make their progress around signalling right and checking over their shoulder before they pass each consequent exit. I saw several other cyclists riding non-handed, one handed as they used electronic devices (phones, music players etc), riding with passengers whilst not having adequate seating and the vehicle being unsuitable for multiple passenger use, and breaking a great variety of traffic laws such as travelling the wrong way in a one-way street, jumping red lights, riding on the pavement and riding on the wrong side of the road against the flow of traffic.
Originally Posted by Times link
Cameras that detect a vehicle’s average speed will be used....to enforce the limit in some of the new 20mph zones.
Which will catch the single offence of speeding For 12 years we have seen an inexorable rise in the proliferation of speed cameras, and whilst inappropriate use of speed is indeed dangerous, speed in itself isn't automatically dangerous. Speed will always be a contributing factor to any situation, but is usually NOT THE CAUSE. Before the statistics were massaged to justify policy, the Police used to estimate that speed was the 'cause' of around 7% of serious RTA's, meaning cameras are actually 93% ineffective. Police, observing drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and other road users behaviour, and issuing advice, financial or legal penalty, or perhaps I could propose than they are able to administer compulsory training orders to ensure poor road users receive further qualified training to improve their abilities or attitude, rather than a kick in the wallet which teaches you nothing, especially when the fine is trivial compared to your available finances.

The article is typical of the current stealth taxation by penalty policy of this, and previous, and I don't doubt subsequent governments. They are trying to alleviate a problem which has many, many causes, with the easiest to implement solution which will generate the most revenue to both cover its own costs and possibly recoup a profit. I've said it many times before, but a sensible attitude to road safety needs to begin early, with children being taught the HC, cycling proficiency and the Green Cross Code at an early age, with ALL road users being required to be educated and qualified, and even taxed, insured and licensed as a great many are not, and for the most part, we need to see each and every individual road user taking responsibility for their behaviour on the road, whether they drive, ride or walk on them. It is always the driver whom carries the burden, but not always the true blame.

Last edited by corradoboy; 17 May 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 17 May 2008, 03:27 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

30mph usually means people drive at 40mph. Maybe 20mph zones will force people to drive closer to 30mph. A good thing imo.
Old 17 May 2008, 06:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
30mph usually means people drive at 40mph. Maybe 20mph zones will force people to drive closer to 30mph. A good thing imo.
I dont, there is many a time when I am doing 30 mph or less in a 30, I will really struggle to drop down to what will feel like walking place, on anglessey they have roads that should be 40's as 30's, they will drop it further and then just nab everyone, its got to be well thought out, not blanket.
Old 17 May 2008, 07:10 PM
*pslewis*
Scooby Regular

I support the '20 is plenty' idea.

I work on a very large site/complex and we introduced a 20 MPH speed limt - I did think it was madness a few years ago - but not now.

Everyone is calmer and more thoughtful/courteous at 20 than at higher speeds, pedestrians know they can cross the road as the fastest car is travelling at 20 so it is safe.

It really is great once everyone adapts to it. Make the limit 90 MPH on the motorway and fit speed limiters to white vans and we will have a sensible speed policy.
Old 17 May 2008, 07:13 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

How low does the speed limit have to get before its difficult to keep a heavy bike upright?
Old 17 May 2008, 07:27 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddie1980
How low does the speed limit have to get before its difficult to keep a heavy bike upright?
Get stabilisers
Old 17 May 2008, 09:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its just the thing edge of the wedge....reduce speed limits, making cars more uneconomical. It costs you both more time and money to get places.

Then, as we have all been burning more fuel, they will have to launch an additional raft of punitive green taxes to get more of us off the road to get the emissions down again...

Last edited by Luminous; 17 May 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:03 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

suits me dont speed dont get points or kill kids,
who does more than twenty in the rush hour anyway.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:12 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
suits me dont speed dont get points or kill kids,
who does more than twenty in the rush hour anyway.
Cool, after 20mph makes no difference lets go for 10, then 5, then 2, and then finally have a man with a red flag
Old 17 May 2008, 10:15 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

where i live the majority of residential area's are already 20 mph zones anyway with no end of speed bumps ,its a way of contolling 30 mph i think because most people on our roads drive at about 38 mph on a 30mph road so stick a 20mph limit and most people will drive at just below 30 mph thats just my 2 pence worth as ive noticed it in hull and even the police seem to do it as well
like jacko said above

i agree with the dd limit it should change or even be made completely illegal to have a drink and drive ,alcohol affects people in different ways i only need a sniff then im wrecked

Quick Reply: 20mph limits on the way