Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yamaha Motorcycle Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2002, 09:34 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1999 Thundercat is due its 16k mile service - anybody have any recommendations of dealers in the Bucks/Berks/Oxon area ?
I will need a courtesy bike.

The dealer I usually use is saying £398+ for the service which seems very high to me (I have rung a couple of dealers at random and they both came out about £250).

Thanks
Old 31 January 2002, 09:36 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

You'll be needing a new rear shock too at 16K on a Cat

Cheers
Cammy
Old 01 February 2002, 12:46 AM
Chris James
Scooby Regular

Cool

cann't help with the dealer but would be interested to know what you think of the 'cat
on my list of could be the one to buy!
returning to biking, so zero no-claims, want something sporty, not to extreme or sharp and something that has some pillion comfort
Always does well in tests, reports etc.
Chris
Old 01 February 2002, 06:27 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

THUNDERCATS ARE GGGGGOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

(Bloody timewaster )
Old 01 February 2002, 06:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bakerman,

Sorry, being a North London boy the only dealer I can recommend is JA Lock in Edmonton and they are nowhere near you (I take my bike there (Thunderace) and they've been great!!!)

Chris, IMHO, the Thundercat is not a very good buy....I would recommend a CBR600 instead. It's just as capable as a commuter/all rounder and much much better at being sporty when you want (IMHO). Having said that, you may be able to pick up Thundercat's cheaper (and if so, you know why I think would be ) but there are so many CBR's for sale, that can only drive the price down.

Just my thoughts,

Matt
Old 01 February 2002, 06:42 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Chris - as a choice of rapid transport for 1 or 2 I think they are excellent. I am currently considering getting an R1 (always wanted one) but not because there is anything wrong with my Cat. Always starts first time, averages 50+mpg on a steady run, easily copes with 500miles/day and fast enough to keep up with most bikes (certainly cornering because most people can't!) unless in a straight line race.

It was my first bike and I have done 16k miles in 2.5 years and enjoyed every one. They come highly recommended from me. They are a used bargain as well. Build quality is good - I wash mine regularly and there is no rust on it at all. Still on same chain and sprockets and has needed nothing other than routine servicing since new. Rear tyres (BT020) last 6k miles and fronts (BT010) about the same.

Ask me anything if you like - mike.baker@xansa.com
Old 01 February 2002, 07:16 PM
Chris James
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bakerman & Mutant Matt
thanks for the info
Chris
Old 02 February 2002, 02:36 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Chris,
I was about to buy a new Thundercat in Sept 2000, all red. However the insurance(Yamaha Link at the time) was twice what it was to insure a 600 Fazer plus the Fazer was a good bit cheaper(between insurance and bike I saved over grand taking the Fazer). I think performance wise there isn't much in it, same engine just slightly different carbs.
I still think the Cat looks a bit better(even with belly pan on the Fazer) but but it was grand difference and so I used it get get kitted out with better gear. Only common complaint on the Cat is that the Shock goes quite quick(10-15K), not sure about the Fazer but I've only done 5K since I got it so its OK so far.
Ride had a Cat on their long term test and they also raced it a couple of times , all in all a good bike, not quite on the edge like R6 but probably less of a handful to ride. Certainly will be cheaper to insure than a R6 or GSX, probably similar insurance to CBR.

cheers
Cammy
Cheers
Cammy