Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

oh dear Gordon Brown has been caught red-handed trying to rob us AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2008, 12:26 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh dear Gordon Brown has been caught red-handed trying to rob us AGAIN!

More than 31,000 scientists have signed a petition denying that man is responsible for global warming.

Petro-chemical plant in Romania releases smoke into the atmosphere

The academics, including 9,000 with PhDs, claim that greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane are actually beneficial for the environment.

It added: "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of ... greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the forseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments."
The petition was reissued last year by the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, an independent research group, partly in response to Al Gore’s film on climate change, An Inconvenient Truth.
Its president, Arthur Robinson, said: "If this many American scientists will sign this petition, you certainly can’t continue to contend that there is a consensus on this subject."
One of the signatories, Frank Nuttall, a professor of medicine, said he believed the Earth was becoming warmer, despite his signature.
"This issue is whether the major reason for this is from human activities. I consider that inconclusive at the present time," he said.
Old 31 May 2008, 12:30 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Scientists sign petition denying man-made global warming - Telegraph
Old 31 May 2008, 12:45 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Whilst I agree with what the petition says, I hardly think it does there cause much good to quote a professor fo medicine! An easy target methinks.

Obviously alot of 'scientists' that have put their names to the IPCC reports are not climatologists, but that, unfortunately is still the widely excepted view by the general public.

Still, things are moving in the right direction.

Geezer
Old 31 May 2008, 12:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The thing is that formal trained scientists are aware of how to prove theories and even if you are not part of that field, it is obvious that basic scientific procedures are not being followed, and hence the conclusion is invalid
Old 31 May 2008, 12:54 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmm,Ive been saying for a while now,like alot of others have,that too much of this Global warming is being blammed on pollution,and it's just another excuse in this country,to tax you for it..Intresting read though.
Old 31 May 2008, 06:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Green house gases aren't responsible for global warming as it was a myth started by Maggie Thatcher to help promote nuclear power. It is now a multi million pound industry, so there is no way they will agree with the above statement
Old 31 May 2008, 07:43 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Green house gases aren't responsible for global warming as it was a myth started by Maggie Thatcher to help promote nuclear power. It is now a multi million pound industry, so there is no way they will agree with the above statement

NO chance espeacialy this Goverment,Not now that they are making more tax money out of it..guess the new car tax rises won't be cancelled then.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I await my refund cheque
Old 01 June 2008, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We are now told that there has been no increase on global temperatures for the last ten years but nevertheless, it cannot be denied that the whole business is a nice little earner for the authorities. Must feel like Christmas as far as they are concerned.

Les
Old 02 June 2008, 12:46 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Plants need CO2, humans need O2 ... simple really & it's hardly going to cause global warming! Still let's keep taxing people in cars

TX.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:12 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Plants need CO2, humans need O2 ... simple really & it's hardly going to cause global warming! Still let's keep taxing people in cars

TX.
Yes funny how the benefits of a warmer, CO2 rich atmosphere are never mentioned. Like longer growing seasons and more land (like Siberia) able to be cultivated. That plants grow quicker and stronger and yields rise. Funny its never mentioned....
Old 02 June 2008, 07:56 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I love the fact that (and I wish I could find the article) that a man cycling to work produces MORE CO2 than a man driving to work (adding the CO2 produced by the car and man)

I think I've made my view on the evangalism being shown over 'global climate change' very clear. It's a farce and utterly non scientific. Al Gore is simply using it as a convenient platform for power and Govts are using it as an excuse for more punitive taxes against us.
Old 02 June 2008, 08:56 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

All the worlds an expert

I think the important thing here is to keep an open mind. The whole issue is up for debate.

As for revenue raising, which "green" taxes have people been affected by here?
Old 02 June 2008, 09:07 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

also let's not forget that America is hardly the most onbjective nation in this debate. I'd have some faith in this if it was international.

Also let's not forget Clarkson has a PhD!
Old 02 June 2008, 09:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Fuel tax - put up from 'green' reasons.
VED - the same
London 'CON'gestions/emissions charge ....

... to name but 3 .....

Dave
Right, but your level of exposure to these taxes is entirely up to you.

They are only revenue raising if you decide to pay them.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I answered the question you asked. If that's not what you meant to ask then excuse me for not being able to read your mind ......

Dave
Bloody hell you should be able to do it by now Dave
Old 02 June 2008, 10:14 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

People have been totally and absolutely brainwashed on the green front and its all about making money,be it the government or companies selling you stuff because it is allegedly green.

Couldn't believe there is even some car wash for sale in Halfords claiming to be more enviromentally friendly.

People have gone nuts!
Old 02 June 2008, 10:14 AM
New_scooby_04

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pwhittle
also let's not forget that America is hardly the most onbjective nation in this debate. I'd have some faith in this if it was international.

Also let's not forget Clarkson has a PhD!
An honorary one. There is a BIG difference. Genuinr PhD awards are only bestowed on individuals who have undertaken extensive academic research on a topic and demonstrated via a thesis and oral exam, conducted by academic peers, that they are at the forefront of expertise.

I've never agreed withe honorary degrees, especially doctorates, and this is why!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 02 June 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:27 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

gordon brown and every other politician will use any means necessary to mug the public.. he's not the first and he wont be the last..