Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Off to New York

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2008, 08:54 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off to New York

I'm off there this Wednesday with my missus til the following wednesday.
I've searched through some old SN posts and got plenty of good ideas.
But, I'd like to hear some more

We're staying just off 5th on 28th.
We want to see the obvious stuff (Empire State, Staten Island, etc), but there's a few specific things I'd like advice on

We both like Italian food, I know NYC's not exactly short of Italians but where's THE place (but also not specifically the most expensive!)
I'm a big music fan, a bit of everything but mainly 70's/80's Rock and want to know where the best music shops are.
I want to visit Mannys and Sam Ash music on (I think) 44th for guitar stuff, anyone know any guitar shops worth a visit?
Also, what live music venues are worth a look?, rock, jazz, blues, etc. Really want to go see Les Paul at Iridium.
She wants to go to an art gallery and a Broadway play - recomendations?, I know there's a kiosk on Times square with cheap tickets.

Any general ideas for nightlife?

Is about 10% generally ok for tips?

Neither of us have even been to the US let alone New York, so we're well looking forward to this trip.

Tony

Last edited by Bonehead; 01 June 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01 June 2008, 09:08 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Cant answer all of them but ,there is a play called little Italy with plenty of choice of restaurants in there for you ,taxi driver advised us a couple of years ago.May be down towards Manhattan end I think .

Shop in Macys and pick up a voucher bucklet which will give you half price show tickets.Seperate office for info etc in there,thats where you get them(the vouchers),then go down to theatre to pick them up (the tickets).You can queue in Times square for cheaper tickets but you may be there some time as the queues we saw were massive and I dont think you get any cheaper than the half price we paid.We got great seats as well ,not just ****ty ones near the back .42 nd st was the show .

Try out the bar in Macys basement .Spent an afternoon in there while the wives shopped .The House burger we had was enormous and delightful .

Enjoy.

We stayed central NY but the hotel was only basic really ,even tho it was supposed to be 4 star .You get more for your Buck if you stay slightly out of the centre .Cant remember its name .
Grand Central Station is worth a Mooch about .Fantastic building .Central Park worth a stroll in also .
Old 01 June 2008, 09:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Went in April and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go again. 5th Ave great for shops...Prada etc are on Fifth. Unfortunately Tiffany's is almost opposite, so you may get stung if your other half is that way inclined. Greenwich Village for night life. Enjoy it, Mate.
Old 01 June 2008, 11:00 PM
oli1983uk
Scooby Regular

Have been a couple of time now and will be going back again soon. If you wanna see a lot and learn some history about the place get a bus tour. me and friend done this we paid something like $60, that included a trip to the statue of liberty and also entry into the Empire state building and they run tours all around the island and also surround areas. The ticket lasted 48 hours and you could get on and off the buses as much as you liked. Try this web site for bus tour info: New York City hop-on, hop-off double decker, open top bus tours

There is an clothes out let store down by ground zero its called century 21 loads of designer and cheap stuff in there, Century 21 Department Store

Also if your with HSBC bank take your switch card and use in the stores. When I was out there a couple of years ago I used it in a few different stores and never got charged for any of it was about $400 worth of bits. I only figured this out on the day I was leaving if I had know before I would have got more stuff.

Last edited by oli1983uk; 01 June 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: editing post
Old 01 June 2008, 11:16 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Check what's on at Madison Square Garden, we saw the Knicks - cool night out even though I had no idea about the rules etc.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:02 AM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Was there last year its the best place I have ever been absolutely amazing.One thing we did that I would never have thought of was going up the Empire State at night - it was a lot quieter and the view of all the New York skyline lights was amazing.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:29 AM
bencs1
Scooby Newbie

As well as going up the empire state you should go to the rockafeller centre and go up there at night/dusk. Its slightly quieter than the empire state and also you get a great view of the empire state building.
Also highly recommend the bus tours that someone mentioned cos they are a great way to see the city. The downtown loop is a must and I also enjoyed the night loop as well.
And don't be bullied into giving loads of tips as literally everywhere they ask you for a tip.
Have a great trip
Old 02 June 2008, 10:33 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

me and the missus were discussing this, we are both 37 and thinking off saving up and going when we are 40, any more ideas greatly asppreciated.,
never ever been to america
Old 02 June 2008, 11:30 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead

We both like Italian food, I know NYC's not exactly short of Italians but where's THE place (but also not specifically the most expensive!)
Take your pick... I know a few in brooklyn but you probably wont want to venture out there like most tourists don't, soooo... you are spoilt for choice
Italian*-* NYC Restaurants, NYC Menus, Ratings, Reviews, New York City

I'm a big music fan, a bit of everything but mainly 70's/80's Rock and want to know where the best music shops are.
Bleecker street records may well float your boat....

She wants to go to an art gallery and a Broadway play - recomendations?, I know there's a kiosk on Times square with cheap tickets.
yeah there is a kiosk. What sort of art gallery? There are the big ones obviously....there are also lots of smaller ones. If street/graffiti art is your thing I can see if there is anything interesting on this week

Any general ideas for nightlife?
Depends what sort of thing you are into! NY really is a true 24/7 city, and on any night of the week it has fantastic nitelife.
I personally hang out on the LES (lower east side) or in the village - and bars are open until 4am every nite btw.

Is about 10% generally ok for tips?
$1/drink in a bar, 15-20% in restaurants (lots of people just double the tax for an approx amount) , hotel porters $1/bag (carry them yourself instead!) , cabs just round up or add a buck or so on (airport runs $5 is what I tip)
Neither of us have even been to the US let alone New York, so we're well looking forward to this trip.
Best city in the world- you will love it.
Old 02 June 2008, 12:48 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Have a look and see what's on at Radio City, we just missed Aretha Franklin when we were there.
Old 02 June 2008, 02:16 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

BB Kings in Times Sq. B.B. King Blues Club & Grill, Lucille Cafe in New York City Times Square 42nd Street

Live music, top acts if you are lucky. Food is ok. Best was drinking Stella poured from a tap made from a saxaphone.

Try to do the Empire State just before dusk as you see NY in daylight then thru til night.

Helicopter ride down the Hudson and round Liberty Island etc.

Rockafella Tower.

If you are into the Navy thing the USS Intrepid (aircraft carrier) is worth a look. When I was there they had quite a moving 911 tribute with a lot of original messages etc. They have a Concorde next to it as well.

So much more. Top city. Enjoy!!
Old 02 June 2008, 05:24 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs

Try out the bar in Macys basement .Spent an afternoon in there while the wives shopped .
Oh yes!!! Talk to random Yanks in there top fun.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Midtown was where we ate one of the best steaks we've ever had.

Sports are cool too but seasonal, we saw a Yankees V Redsox baseball game. Yankee Stadium is supposed to be one of the safest places in NYC but only on game day!

Ground zero very moving and right next to Centuary 21.

Horsedrawn carriage in Central Park romantic but smelly

You will have a great time, but do not lock your cases on the way out US customs will have the locks off, no one in the airports police or customs service has a sense of humour! Outside everyone we met were very friendly.

Use the subway but don't think it is like the London Underground, you will get confused.

Canal street is a very cool place for some knock-off goods which are great quality and really fun.

Helicopter ride over the city was fantastic even flew down one of the flightpaths taken by a jet on 9/11.

UN building is not really worth it.

Tipping in bars can get you a free drink
Old 02 June 2008, 06:04 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Helicopter ride over the city was fantastic even flew down one of the flightpaths taken by a jet on 9/11.
You can't actually fly over the city anymore, when we were there in December you can only fly up and down the river
Old 02 June 2008, 08:21 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
You can't actually fly over the city anymore, when we were there in December you can only fly up and down the river
No such restriction at all.

Certain tours dont fly over the city only over the water, but if you get the right one it will go over the city- the new york new york tour from liberty helicopters does still.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:04 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
No such restriction at all.

Certain tours dont fly over the city only over the water, but if you get the right one it will go over the city- the new york new york tour from liberty helicopters does still.
But aren't these really expensive?
Would like to go on one of these but done want to get ripped off.

Top advice everyone - Big thanks

Freak: Is'nt it nice and sunny out there at the moment?, should I pack me shorts?

Regards
Tony
Old 03 June 2008, 12:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
But aren't these really expensive?
Would like to go on one of these but done want to get ripped off.

Top advice everyone - Big thanks

Freak: Is'nt it nice and sunny out there at the moment?, should I pack me shorts?

Regards
Tony
yeah they are expensive but worth it as a once off- as long as the weather is good!
Libertyhelicopters.com on the west side is good- but book in advance or be prepared for a long wait...

As for the weather...yes, it is warm and sunny on and off at the moment (circa 20 degrees/60% humidity today) , but im in the uk at the moment in the pissing rain
Nice time of year to be there before it gets stupidly hot and humid in the summer....
Old 03 June 2008, 04:39 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
yeah they are expensive but worth it as a once off- as long as the weather is good!
Libertyhelicopters.com on the west side is good- but book in advance or be prepared for a long wait...

As for the weather...yes, it is warm and sunny on and off at the moment (circa 20 degrees/60% humidity today) , but im in the uk at the moment in the pissing rain
Nice time of year to be there before it gets stupidly hot and humid in the summer....
Just got a text off the airline as a reminder (like I'd forget!) of my flight tomorrow.

Really looking forward to it all now

Glad her ladyship's at work otherwise she'd be unbearable!

Thanks again for the info