Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

William: just what DOES the guy do?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2008, 10:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default William: just what DOES the guy do?

A few weeks ago we were "treated to film of him marching through Windsor with his Army regiment.

Then there were stories of him landing a Navy Sea-King somewhere unsuitable, and buzzing his granny's house at Sandringham. (For which crimes anyone else would have been locked up, court marshalled etc etc).

And just last night the idiot is on TV wearing full RAF uniform.

So EXACTLY what service does he "SERVE" in??????

And don't answer about him being future king, he's a LONG way off that yet, and isn't in charge of any services, his granny is.

TBH, I'm heartily sick of seeing this playboy allowed to do what he wants, WHEN he wants, at OUR expense.

Mr. Guillotine had the right idea..........

Alcazar
Old 02 June 2008, 10:26 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I saw something by the way of, because hes going to be the commander of the forces one day, he's getting experience in all three; army, RAF, Navy or something or other.

I have more respect for Harry doing active service in Iraq, or was it Afghanistan
Old 02 June 2008, 10:52 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Who care what they do.

TBH I think the tradition of Royal serving in the armed forces is a farce. Why should they?

TBH If I was a member of the Royal family, I wouldn't work..... ever.

Young and rich. I'd buy some supercars and enjoy life. It's not as if they'll ever run out of money.
Old 02 June 2008, 11:11 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Well he's done far more for this country than you have, unless you can tell us otherwise.

Get over it, jealousy will just eat you up!
Old 02 June 2008, 11:14 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

*Sigh*

I'm not sure it's worth bothering - most anti-royal people don't listen - but here goes anyway.

Prince William, as second in line to the throne, will eventually accede to the throne as King. Part of that role is to be Commander in Chief of all 3 services.

I don't think it unreasonable for him to experience the workings of all 3 sevices if he is going to be in command of them.

He is a serving army officer. However, whilst attached to the RAF, he wore an RAF uniform and he will no doubt wear the RN uniform when serving with them.

You may (or most likely not) have noticed that Prince Charles will wear whichever military uniform suits the occasion. Prince William will do the same long after finishing with the military.

Furthermore, William would, I guarantee, have served in Iraq/Afghanistan if he'd been allowed. Even Harry only got to serve because, incredibly, the press agreed to a voluntary reporting ban.

Lastly, when he is serving with the Army, he is treated just like any other army officer and is given no special treament when it comes to training or testing. He has earned his commission and tank commander qualification, not to mention all his flying qualifications with the RAF.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:07 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
TBH, I'm heartily sick of seeing this playboy allowed to do what he wants, WHEN he wants, at OUR expense.
The thing is he doesn`t do what he wants, I`m pretty sure he`s getting told what to do in preparation for his future role. Remember, he`s up for the job regardless, and to be honest, it`s not a job I`d want.

Would you really want a republic ran by bell-ends like Blair and Brown?
Old 02 June 2008, 01:29 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

For a start it was Harry that marched through Windsor with his Regiment, and William was photographed in his RN Uniform.

As stated above, its likely that he will be King in the future so this is all part of his understanding how the Forces operate before he takes the role of Head of the Armed Services.

Good on the bloke, both of them. They are spending more time with British servicemen/women of their generation, and have a better understanding of what it means to be in the Forces these days, and real life. Just the fact that they are spending time with "real" people in a "real" environment has to be a good thing, rather than shut away coming out to unveil a plaque on a wall every so often.

I'm not a Royalist, but I have a higher regard for both Princes than the rest of the Royal family.

Gareth
Old 02 June 2008, 01:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
*Sigh*

I'm not sure it's worth bothering - most anti-royal people don't listen - but here goes anyway.

Prince William, as second in line to the throne, will eventually accede to the throne as King. Part of that role is to be Commander in Chief of all 3 services.

I don't think it unreasonable for him to experience the workings of all 3 sevices if he is going to be in command of them.

He is a serving army officer. However, whilst attached to the RAF, he wore an RAF uniform and he will no doubt wear the RN uniform when serving with them.

You may (or most likely not) have noticed that Prince Charles will wear whichever military uniform suits the occasion. Prince William will do the same long after finishing with the military.

Furthermore, William would, I guarantee, have served in Iraq/Afghanistan if he'd been allowed. Even Harry only got to serve because, incredibly, the press agreed to a voluntary reporting ban.

Lastly, when he is serving with the Army, he is treated just like any other army officer and is given no special treament when it comes to training or testing. He has earned his commission and tank commander qualification, not to mention all his flying qualifications with the RAF.

Spot on mate.

Some people really dont get it do they lol

Got a lot of respect for Wills and Harry
Old 02 June 2008, 04:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Oh dear, you lot appear to have been taken in.

He's getting experience in preparation for being in charge? What, like his Granny did? Come off it.

And as for the post about him having done more for our country than I ever have, how would anyone know that? I had a VERY responsible and important job for 28 years, and did it to the best of my ability.

What's HE done that's so great? Apart from being Diana's son, and being born to be king?

Alcazar
Old 02 June 2008, 04:37 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
What were their a level grades / uni results like? No where near good enough to get into Sandhurst if they weren't who they are.
Utter rubbish, the fact that the minimum for Troop commander in the household cav is A levels, they seem to be ideally educated for the branch they joined JobDetail

Smacks a bit of the green eyed monster to me.

Last edited by rob878; 02 June 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02 June 2008, 05:12 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Ah but what grades did they get? They certainly weren't high! You could apply to sandhurst with a few a levels at D grade but there would be sod all chance of getting in. The majority of officer recruits get in with A's and B's.

Harry got ONE B and ONE D at A-level and got in to Sandhurst. Pound gets Ten that no other officer recruit got in with results as crap as that.

BBC NEWS | Education | Prince Harry's A-level results

Ok William isn't quite as dense and did average at A-levels but a B in art and a D in Geography and dropping his other ones makes Harry pretty dim especially considering this was at Eton that has the top teachers, facilities etc in the country.
So what you are trying to say is that they managed to attain the required standard for entry into their chosen branch, Harry is doing a good job in his role and from all accounts is well liked by his men and superiors. Whilst William attained more than enough to gain entry into the cavalry.

Considering that the qualifications required open the door to the rest of the interview process, you may find that they excelled in this respect, then again St James's Palace may have had a hand in the whole event.

Oh there's a conspiracy everywhere.

Considering that when I joined up General Duties (Pilot/ Nav) only required a minimum of 5 gcses to gain entry, however the main focus was on the aptitude tests, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what grades they got or didn't get. Four years ago we had an 19yo nav who had 2 A levels. As he put it he got "lost on the way to Uni and found the Nav aptitude tests a piece of pish". He would have undoubtedly out performed a lot of other candidates with considerably higher qualifications.
Old 02 June 2008, 05:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its called being high born, privilege etc, its not worth worrying about, we have a monarchy, their kids get to do stuff, get fast tracked etc but then they are at the top anyway.

I am not a royalist but I have long since stopped worrying about them, I am sure William and Harry do more than a lot of the population, they arent criminals, layabouts, paedophiles or Estate Agents, as far as I know they have never wronged me and I kind of like their style, especially the ginger one.

So, worry about rapists, muggers, illegal immigrants, murderers and drink drivers, a couple of rich boys, in the scheme of things isn't a problem.
Old 02 June 2008, 07:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its called being high born, privilege etc, its not worth worrying about, we have a monarchy, their kids get to do stuff, get fast tracked etc but then they are at the top anyway.

I am not a royalist but I have long since stopped worrying about them, I am sure William and Harry do more than a lot of the population, they arent criminals, layabouts, paedophiles or Estate Agents, as far as I know they have never wronged me and I kind of like their style, especially the ginger one.

So, worry about rapists, muggers, illegal immigrants, murderers and drink drivers, a couple of rich boys, in the scheme of things isn't a problem.
Good post, Jacko, I reckon you're right in the scheme of things

Alcazar
Old 02 June 2008, 08:09 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not sure I'd want to spend the whole of my life under the constant threat of assassination. So as much as I'd like the positives with being a Royal, I'm not sure I'd swap for anything. Extend that to your kids, if and when you have any, and it becomes a no brainer IMO.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:07 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

He's getting experience in preparation for being in charge? What, like his Granny did? Come off it.

And as for the post about him having done more for our country than I ever have, how would anyone know that? I had a VERY responsible and important job for 28 years, and did it to the best of my ability.

What's HE done that's so great? Apart from being Diana's son, and being born to be king?

Alcazar

So you'd like Blair, Brown or Cameron as President would you?
Old 02 June 2008, 10:09 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

A Then there were stories of him landing a Navy Sea-King somewhere unsuitable, and buzzing his granny's house at Sandringham. (For which crimes anyone else would have been locked up, court marshalled etc etc).

No they wouldn't!

The services are desperate for places where there helicopter pilots can practice landings at little or no cost, and that involve a challenge for watever reason.

So if you are in the RAF learning to fly helicopters and have a suitable field to fly to, land, and fly back you'll be allowed to do it irrespective of who you are.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:50 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Alcazar..charlie boy wear's a milltary uniform dressed to the hilt with medals.He has never served in any conflicts..There is no point in william or harry taking command of all three millitary forces,without frontline experience..you can drive a tank on salisbury plane,and fly a lynx helicopter or a chinnock,a few times.It don't mean anything,unless your doing it for real,in a real warzone...i think it's good what Harry did,and think he is being held back alot..ive been in the Forces like alot of people on here have,and alot of officers that came straight out of officer training from sandhurst,never got respected..MY mate was serving in N Ireland once,and the officer in charge,came straight out of sandhurst..Now they went out on patrol,and the officer forgot to charge his radio batteries,and had to borrow from a lower ranking soldier,one that had been in for 5 year's..It was just his experience that made him better,and he knew to carry spare batteries..After that **** up,was no respect for the Officer..In the end he got sent back to Sandhurst for further training..
Old 03 June 2008, 12:06 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Agree with the above. But to add, I kind of like our monarchy and the plain, simple ***** out bizarre britishness of our monarchy. It is what it is, it doesn't blow wth the wind of public opinion, or pretend to be something its not. Part of what makes our country and I'm proud that despite things, there are a couple of well intentioned young lads that will likely be better ambasadors for this country that the z-list celebrities that get so much air time in the press for their purile, worthless antics.
Old 03 June 2008, 04:35 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Part of that role is to be Commander in Chief of all 3 services.

I don't think it unreasonable for him to experience the workings of all 3 services if he is going to be in command of them.
He may well become commander in chief, but don't forget this is just an honorary title. It is not an active role. he will not actually be "in command".
Old 03 June 2008, 06:55 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Whats it matter?
Old 03 June 2008, 08:27 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
He may well become commander in chief, but don't forget this is just an honorary title. It is not an active role. he will not actually be "in command".
Actually, all servicemen and women pledge allegience to the monarch. The Queen is the Commander in Chief.

She could - in theory at least - start ordering the services around and they would be compelled to obey. The fact that she chooses to allow her elected government order them about, doesn't mean she couldn't.
Old 03 June 2008, 08:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The fact that she chooses to allow her elected government order them about, doesn't mean she couldn't.
She really couldn't. Her powers are completely ceremonial now, although on paper she has this power and that power, the reality is that is she ever tried to exercise any of that power, she be out on her **** before you could say "republic".

Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy with the way things are, I support a royal family, they don't have any meaningful powers though and that's exactly the way it should be.
Old 03 June 2008, 10:35 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

William and Harry are fantastic ambassadors for our country, as are their Father and Grandparents

I'd rather have them representing me than any of the journalists desperate to sensationalise any alleged wrongdoing they probably aren't even guilty of anyway

Plus, given that the current alternative for Head of State would be the scruffy Jockanese pension thief, I'll place my faith in hereditary succession over the opinion of the Murdoch reading masses if that's OK

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
No they wouldn't!

The services are desperate for places where there helicopter pilots can practice landings at little or no cost, and that involve a challenge for watever reason.

So if you are in the RAF learning to fly helicopters and have a suitable field to fly to, land, and fly back you'll be allowed to do it irrespective of who you are.
Correct.

And you don't even have to be learning to fly them Chris, years ago when my cousin was learning to jump out of the back of choppers he and his mates got a lift up to his future father-in-law's farm in Yorkshire on more than one occasion
Old 03 June 2008, 11:01 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Alcazar
Doing a good job and being responsible doesn't necessarily mean it was any good for your country! You don't say what you did.

That aside, it's not their fault what they were born into. Ok, they get loadsa money and get to do things that alot of us would love to, but then again, you do have a private life, it's unlikely anyone will try to kill you. If you don't like your job, you can leave, it's a tad more difficult for them. OK, he can abdicate, when he comes to the thrown, but how likely is that? Their life really isn't their own.

The Royals generally work harder than most people in the UK (you can find out how many appointments they have to attend), so I don't really understand why he has to do anything 'great' at all? He doesn't lead the country, he has no real power, he's just priveleged, so what's the problem?

Geezer
Old 03 June 2008, 11:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
So you'd like Blair, Brown or Cameron as President would you?
Not what I said at all.

Why would we NEED a president? We already have parliament, and a PM, who says we have to copy everyone else?

And our royals are just figureheads, everyone KNOWS that. Other countries have royals and they have jobs, or get around on pushbikes..........

Alcazar
Old 03 June 2008, 11:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Doing a good job and being responsible doesn't necessarily mean it was any good for your country! You don't say what you did.
Nor will I

Originally Posted by Geezer
I don't really understand why he has to do anything 'great' at all? He doesn't lead the country, he has no real power, he's just priveleged, so what's the problem?

Geezer
I don't think he needs to either. My comment was in response to one from someone else who stated that (in his few years so far), he's done far more for his country than I have........sorry, he hasn't!

Alcazar
Old 03 June 2008, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

*Sigh*

Well said Jerome, could not put it better myself for sure.

There is an awful lot of inverted snobbery evident over this, quite unecessary to my mind. They are both good blokes in my book and are also quite entitled to have a good time when they get the opportunity just like anyone else would at their age. They have both proved themselves as such.

Les
Old 03 June 2008, 11:55 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"I don't think he needs to either. My comment was in response to one from someone else who stated that (in his few years so far), he's done far more for his country than I have........sorry, he hasn't!"

I actually said "unless you can tell us otherwise", but you refuse to do so. You are obviously an amazing ambassador for our country, or full of bullsh*t.

Quick Reply: William: just what DOES the guy do?