Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tanker Drivers have Settled!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2008, 10:01 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tanker Drivers have Settled!!!!!!

End of Panic

BBC NEWS | Business | Deal struck in petrol tanker row
Old 17 June 2008, 10:10 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Boooooo!

Old 17 June 2008, 10:17 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

What panic ?
Old 18 June 2008, 12:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Which union will be next on the band wagon Pete?

Les
Old 18 June 2008, 12:45 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

still expensive though

Old 18 June 2008, 01:19 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

They appear to have settled for 14% over 2 years - the offer the union rejected was 13.7% over 2 years.

So, they went on strike for an extra £120 a year (based on a salary of £40,000) ......... ???????????????????????????????

If true, it's PATHETIC!!
Old 18 June 2008, 02:28 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

just a bunch of overpaid drivers

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2008, 02:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just been to my local 2 shell garages for some v-power

only thing they had was normal unleaded, both had no derv either!

hopefully they will get topped back up within a few days, crazy people must have bought all the v-power, or they have smaller tanks?
Old 18 June 2008, 02:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Wish I got paid 36k let alone 40k!!!! and my last pay rise 2 years ago was 0.4% the same year our VAT rate went up 3%
Old 18 June 2008, 02:59 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | Business | Fuel drivers offered 14% pay rise
Old 18 June 2008, 03:40 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

From the BBC

Tanker drivers delivering fuel for Shell have been offered a 14% pay increase over two years after their four-day strike hit UK fuel supplies.
The increase will be worth 9% in the first year and 5% in the second, taking average annual earnings to £41,750.
Drivers and union officials rejected an earlier offer of about £36,000.
Not a bad result for such a short strike, no doubt the money they lost in 4 days will easily be made up with overtime.

Wurzel, i'm shocked at your reply. Whenever you post on here it's usually to tell us how brilliant everything is in Germany compared to the Uk - surely the pay is good over there too? Which tanker firm do you drive for over there?
Old 18 June 2008, 06:09 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Look forward to posts in 2 yrs time when they are all out on there ear, as another firm have stepped in to supply shell garages.
Old 18 June 2008, 06:41 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Look forward to posts in 2 yrs time when they are all out on there ear, as another firm have stepped in to supply shell garages.
thats my thinking as well no more than they all deserve sod every1 else well strike for 14% ffs
Old 18 June 2008, 06:47 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

as a ex hgv driver they could only afford to strike due to the fact they are already on over 30k
Old 18 June 2008, 06:50 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

They appear to have settled for 14% over 2 years - the offer the union rejected was 13.7% over 2 years.

So, they went on strike for an extra £120 a year (based on a salary of £40,000) ......... ???????????????????????????????

If true, it's PATHETIC!!

I remember some eedjit wouldn't have got out there bed for less than this. A true eedjit none the less
Old 19 June 2008, 08:10 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

overpaid *****. id do their job for 25k a year and be quite happy.... wish i could afford to go on strike for a 14% pay rise.. F@@@@@ng unions are a joke.
Old 19 June 2008, 08:27 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by borderlinechris
overpaid *****. id do their job for 25k a year and be quite happy.... wish i could afford to go on strike for a 14% pay rise.. F@@@@@ng unions are a joke.
So the fact you'd be prepared to do their job for less somehow makes them 'overpaid *****'?

How about if some people were imported from a 3rd world country and prepared to do your job for 3 squares and $20 US to send home to their family? Would that make you an 'overpaid ****'?

They got what they deserved and other people should be fighting for the same rather than jealously decrying their hard won pay rise.
Old 19 June 2008, 08:34 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
may be quicker than that, its up for tender at the moment!
Old 19 June 2008, 08:45 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Drive an ambulance save lives and get paid 30k if you are lucky. Drive a petrol tanker and get paid 40k plus, what the **** is going on with the world.

Lets face it you don't have to be very well educated to drive do you. Don't srick in at school son, p*ss about and just become a shell tanker driver and the world is your oyster. Then if you fancy a pay rise just hold the country to ransom.

Bunch of greedy bast*rds. Let the flood gates open.

This just about sums it up The Daily Mash - Home
Old 19 June 2008, 08:48 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NACRO
So the fact you'd be prepared to do their job for less somehow makes them 'overpaid *****'?

How about if some people were imported from a 3rd world country and prepared to do your job for 3 squares and $20 US to send home to their family? Would that make you an 'overpaid ****'?

They got what they deserved and other people should be fighting for the same rather than jealously decrying their hard won pay rise.
I'm bound to say that he's exercising his opinion under that utopian (read admirable but impracticable) umbrella of freedom of speech
Old 19 June 2008, 08:49 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If you think they are paid better than yourself then get a job driving for Shell.
Old 19 June 2008, 08:58 AM
Scooby Senior

All the people that think that 40k is a lot to be paid to be a tanker driver...

It's danger money!

It takes a lot of experience as a driver to even be considered as well as a flawless driving history. Can you imagine how dangerous it is to have that much expensive highly flammable liquid behind you.
Old 19 June 2008, 09:03 AM
PetesDad
BANNED

I would be interested to know how many Tanker Drivers have lost their lives due to their fuel ..... anyone know?
Old 19 June 2008, 09:07 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PetesDad
I would be interested to know how many Tanker Drivers have lost their lives due to their fuel ..... anyone know?
I know sniffing it can be lethal.
Old 19 June 2008, 09:28 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Man killed in servo blast - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Uganda fuel tanker hits minibus

There's a couple, also commercial drivers are list as the 5th most hazardous job in the Uk

Lorry and Commercial Drivers
If you think that long-distance lorry drivers or sales reps have it easy, sat behind the wheel all day driving the length and breadth of the country, think again. Road accidents are the number one killer of workers in the UK, with work vehicles involved in over 54,000 crashes every year, or 150 per day, according to the GMB.

“Long hours of working drivers, a lack of regular breaks and unnecessarily tight deadlines all lead to dangerous driving conditions in many occupations,” says John McClean, GMB national safety officer. This was evidently the case in 2001 when a driver fell asleep at the wheel of his Land Rover and careered off the M62 at Selby onto a railway line, causing the deaths of 10 people and 76 injuries as the train ploughed into his car and derailed.

The GMB estimates that 1-in-4 of all road fatalities involve a driver whilst at work.
All that of course doesn't matter - people don't get paid a rate proportionate to the danger they are in , if that were the case our soldiers would be on six figure salaries and not the pittance they're paid now.

Any job is worth what someone is prepared to pay and in this case it seems the employer is willing to pay these workers a big lump to keep hold of them.
You could probably get some eastern european type to come over and do the same job for half the money but having seen their driving standards i'd want to be at least 10 miles away from any of them

As for the posters on here complaining that they're paid less - just ask yourself why it is you're not doing that job?
Old 19 June 2008, 09:28 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500

It's danger money!

It takes a lot of experience as a driver to even be considered as well as a flawless driving history. Can you imagine how dangerous it is to have that much expensive highly flammable liquid behind you.
I imagine its quite dangerous on the streets of Basra and in Afganistan but do our boys and girls get 40k plus for putting their lives on the line every day? In short no; a private infantry solidier is lucky if he is on 18k a year. So your argument is very flawed that danger equats to a big pay packet in everyday life.

Any monkey with half a brain could do their job!
Old 19 June 2008, 09:32 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

soldiers need to be soldiers, because they want to kill terrorists, NOT because they are getting 40k a year...........
Old 19 June 2008, 09:32 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500

It's danger money!

Soldier/Policeman/Fireman

Electrician/Roofer/Scaffolder

My memory seems to fail me when i try to think of the last time i heard of a fuel tanker blowing up and taking the driver with it

They get paid a lot in comparison to the above trades, but yet have no skills unlike the above trades. Where's the sense? They're vastly overpaid.
Old 19 June 2008, 09:53 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
soldiers need to be soldiers, because they want to kill terrorists, NOT because they are getting 40k a year...........
As an ex-soldier I can speak from experience and say that anybody that wants to go to War and Kill people should be automatically sent to a lunatic asylum. Soliders don't want to go to war but they will as thats what they are trained for. I left the Army 17 years ago and walked the streets of NI and was on standby for the first Gulf war. Would I have wanted 40K a year, bloody right!!!
Old 19 June 2008, 09:57 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

My memory seems to fail me when i try to think of the last time i heard of a fuel tanker blowing up and taking the driver with it
I remember one about 2 yrs ago on the M56. This is probably only because its localish to me. Road accidents tend not to make the news though so it doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
I also know recently where a tanker driver slipped whilst on top of his tanker, and another where a tanker driver was crushed by his tanker.

but yet have no skills.
I class driving as a skill, the fact they need ADR is another skill and unlike certain other trades it has to be refreshed every few years (5 if i remember correctly), they also need training in how to deal with any product escape so it is does carry quite a bit of skill (and also the fact they carry a live load )

They're vastly overpaid.
They would seem to be overpaid yes, I agree on that, but then wouldnt you want more money? I know I would

Quick Reply: Tanker Drivers have Settled!!!!!!