Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Justice vindicated

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 08:05 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British Justice vindicated

BBC NEWS | UK | 'Lyrical terrorist' wins appeal

An unsafe conviction for writing poetry overturned quite rightly. It isn't an offense to propagandise (if you believe that was the case) and as far as I'm aware the government doesn't have the right to tell people what to believe yet. The fact she had some material which may be regarded by some as 'of practical help to terrorists' (despite the fact you can download this from the internet freely) wasn't enough for the CPS, they had to turn it into something ideological.

This isn't just a personal victory for Samina but one for all the British public.
Old 18 June 2008, 08:12 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

put it this way, i wouldnt trust her as far as i could throw her(regarding the books she had in her possesion- poisoners handbook etc.....) im sure she`ll be strapping something round her soon enough to make us all "believers"...
Old 18 June 2008, 09:09 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO

An unsafe conviction for writing poetry overturned quite rightly. It isn't an offense to propagandise (if you believe that was the case) and as far as I'm aware the government doesn't have the right to tell people what to believe yet. The fact she had some material which may be regarded by some as 'of practical help to terrorists' (despite the fact you can download this from the internet freely) wasn't enough for the CPS, they had to turn it into something ideological.

This isn't just a personal victory for Samina but one for all the British public.
I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee mate. As borderlinechris states its just a matter of time before this nutcase straps a bomb to herself for her twisted beliefs. Then lets see you champion British justice when innocent people are blown to bitsLets hope its nobody you know and love.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:30 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Don't feed the troll.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:15 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree with Nacro. Writing should never be illegal!

The fact that government is trying to dictate what someone is allowed to think and what opinion they're allowed to hold is absolutely crazy. Yet another small step towards what Mr Orwell wrote about in the book "1984".
Old 18 June 2008, 10:16 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by markGT
I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee mate. As borderlinechris states its just a matter of time before this nutcase straps a bomb to herself for her twisted beliefs. Then lets see you champion British justice when innocent people are blown to bitsLets hope its nobody you know and love.
Whilst I don't agree with your opinion, it's great that we live in a society where you can express it
Old 18 June 2008, 10:37 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Absolutely spot on - People seem to have forgotten the famous adage "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death to right to say it".

For those BNP supporters amongst you out there, you should be absolutely cheering this result, because it is exactly this freedom that allows you to spout your ****, as much as she spouts hers.

Originally Posted by markGT

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee mate. As borderlinechris states its just a matter of time before this nutcase straps a bomb to herself for her twisted beliefs. Then lets see you champion British justice when innocent people are blown to bitsLets hope its nobody you know and love
I love the certainity in this post . It's not that she might commit some radical act - it's a fact she is going to blow herself and innocent people to death.

Do you work for the Sun?

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2008, 10:57 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
For those BNP supporters amongst you out there, you should be absolutely cheering this result, because it is exactly this freedom that allows you to spout your ****, as much as she spouts hers.

No it won't. As a white man/woman you are deamed a Racist & BNP supporter for having anti-muslim thoughts.

One rule for them, another for the rest of us.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:10 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

hj
Old 18 June 2008, 11:13 AM
New_scooby_04

"Ms Malik was not prosecuted for her poetry. She was prosecuted for possessing documents that could provide practical assistance to terrorists"

Sue Hemming
Crown Prosecution Service

End of thread!
Old 18 June 2008, 11:16 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
"Ms Malik was not prosecuted for her poetry. She was prosecuted for possessing documents that could provide practical assistance to terrorists"

Sue Hemming
Crown Prosecution Service

End of thread!
Not quite- it was found that the judgement against her was unsafe because of the CPS insisting on including her poetry as evidence. A real case of them trying to crucify someone because of their ideology.
Of course I said all this in the original post, perhaps it's too much to expect people to read and digest before frothing at the mouth at the merest mention of anything to do with Islam?
Old 18 June 2008, 11:20 AM
New_scooby_04

Not quite- it was found that the judgement against her was unsafe because of the CPS insisting on including her poetry as evidence. A real case of them trying to crucify someone because of their ideology.
Of course I said all this in the original post, perhaps it's too much to expect people to read and digest before frothing at the mouth at the merest mention of anything to do with Islam?
Er, not quite!

"However, other documents in her possession, including the al-Qaeda Manual, the Terrorist's Handbook, the Mujahideen Poisons Handbook and several military manuals, clearly retain that potential."

They were right to bring the prosecution (for the above literature alone), not right not cite her poetry as evidence, hence the conviction being quashed). She deserved to go down for the above literature under the relevant legislation. She's done enough time, thus CPS have agreed to not press for re-trail. Job done for now.

No doubt she'll not abandon her dubious activities, and the CPS will be somewhat the wiser the next time!

This is clearly an individual we should be keeping an eye on. Bottom line: if you're in possession of terrorist literature and write inflammatory material, don't be surprised when the authorities start sniffing around.

Judge NS04 calls this session to a close!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 18 June 2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:27 AM
NACRO
BANNED

"However, other documents in her possession, including the al-Qaeda Manual, the Terrorist's Handbook, the Mujahideen Poisons Handbook and several military manuals, clearly retain that potential.

They were right to bring the prosecution (for the above literature alone), not right not cite her poetry as evidence, hence the conviction being quashed). She deserved to go down for the above literature under the relevant legislation. She's done enough time, thus CPS have agreed to not press for re-trail. Job done for now.
Pure conjecture. In any case posession of such material hardly makes someone a terrorist (despite a twisted law trying to make them so), it's freely available on the internet and that provision in law is nothing more than a tool to opress people.

I've got a book about serial killers but it doesn't mean I'm going to go out there and start offing people whose lifestyle choices I don't agree with.......
Old 18 June 2008, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was wondering why she was bothering to publish it on the Net if as she said it was meaningless.

Les
Old 18 June 2008, 11:36 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I've got a book about serial killers but it doesn't mean I'm going to go out there and start offing people whose lifestyle choices I don't agree with.......
Careful there NACRO, some of your posts on here would suggest otherwise!
Old 18 June 2008, 11:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Pure conjecture. In any case posession of such material hardly makes someone a terrorist (despite a twisted law trying to make them so), it's freely available on the internet and that provision in law is nothing more than a tool to opress people.

You miss the point entirely. Too much high class champagne from the Porka thread I'd suggest.

A person is found with child ponography on their PC, does that make them a pedophile?
If not, would you not agree that by the possession of this material the authorities have a right to be suspicious and prosecute, as possession of the material per se is illegal?

That is the crux of what happened here: her nationality and ideology is irrelevant to a large extent.

Section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000. says it is an offence for a person to collect information likely to be useful to those preparing for a terrorism act.

Her literature fell within that scope. The original trial suggested that her poetry should also fall within that scope. The court of appeal disagreed.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 18 June 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:40 AM
NACRO
BANNED

You miss the point entirely.

A person is found with child ponography on their PC, does that make them a pedophile?

If not, would you not agree that by the possession of this material the authorities have a right to be suspicious and prosecute anyway, as the material per se is illegal?

That is what happened here: her nationality and ideology is irrelevant

Section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000. says it is an offence for a person to collecting information likely to be useful to those preparing for a terrorism act.

Her literature fell within that scope. The original trial suggested that her poetry should also fall within that scope. The court of appeal disagreed.

Ns04
I don't agree her literature fell within that scope, it's within the public domain. That section of the terrorism act is being misused and misinterpreted IMO.
Had she been out doing reconnaissance for a possible attack that would be a different matter.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:45 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

At the time I didnt feel that it was a safe or appropriate conviction. That doesnt mean that I approve of the womans misguided fundamentalism/hatred.

The fact that she is an odious West-hating muslim, doesnt mean that we shouldnt speak up: else when they come for us there mightnt be anyone left to shout...
Old 18 June 2008, 11:51 AM
New_scooby_04

I don't agree her literature fell within that scope, it's within the public domain. That section of the terrorism act is being misused and misinterpreted IMO.
Had she been out doing reconnaissance for a possible attack that would be a different matter.
Child **** is also within the public domain, doesn't mean we're wrong to prosecute those in possession of it. Pirate material e.g film, MP3s are in the public domain, that's not a defence against stealing them.

Having a training manual from a known terrorist organisation in a target country is illegal - and for good reason! If you have such material you can, quite rightly, expect to get attention from the authorities.

All this "mis-use of power" BS is exactly the kind of smokescreen that these groups rely on: they abuse the laws designed to protect free speech etc to obfuscate their activities or obstruct prosecution.

This odious individual can rant all she likes against the west and enjoy the freedom our "opressive" western laws afford her distasteful views, but the moment she starts producing or circulating material that could be used to hurt UK citizens, then she's subject to the full weight of the law and rightly so!

If the west is so evil and oppressive, the solution is very simple: leave....oh wait, there are no similar laws governing free speech etc in their countries of origin, are there?

In the UK, we do not want extremism and find terrorism abhorrent, if that interferes with your literature collection then the solution is simple:

F**k off back where you came from

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 18 June 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 18 June 2008, 12:08 PM
NACRO
BANNED

C the moment she starts producing or circulating material that could be used to hurt UK citizens, then she's subject to the full weight of the law and rightly so!

If the west is so evil and oppressive, the solution is very simple: leave....oh wait, there are no similar laws governing free speech etc in their countries of origin, are there?

In the UK, we do not want extremism and find terrorism abhorrent, if that interferes with your literature collection then the solution is simple:

F**k off back where you came from

Ns04
She didn't produce or circulate it according to anything I've read. Drawing comparisons with child **** is disingenuous. Production of that material is impossible without harming a child. Whereas it's possible to know how to poison someone without actually doing it.

What's more it appears the CPS tried to stitch her up by drawing conclusions and making false accusations to obfuscate the case.

As for your entreaty that people such as Samina should 'F**k off back where you came from', which part of west London do you want her to go to? Or have you forgotten she's as British as you are?
Old 18 June 2008, 12:11 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

perhaps some think this man is OK and are glad he's been released on bail?
BBC NEWS | UK | Abu Qatada's bail 'disappointing'

Me? I'd like to see him shot............
Old 18 June 2008, 12:18 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
perhaps some think this man is OK and are glad he's been released on bail?
BBC NEWS | UK | Abu Qatada's bail 'disappointing'

Me? I'd like to see him shot............
if this guy does aything wonder if the judge could be charged with being an accomplice

Suppose though if he had of allowed the extradition he would have been classed as racist in one form or another....
Old 18 June 2008, 12:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Far too serious this thread

Let's lighten the mood somewhat. Spot the gay terrorist

That should be two minority groups I have offended in one pic
Old 18 June 2008, 12:38 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would put a bullet in his head and send him off to Jordan or agree to deport him on the condition that he not be tortured.... they must agree to simply put a bullet in his head also.
Old 18 June 2008, 01:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony

I think you are pushing your luck with that cross dressing Swiss!

Les
Old 18 June 2008, 01:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

mmmmm, but dont I love svelte and toned. Its all this new diet I am on dontcha know
Old 18 June 2008, 01:16 PM
New_scooby_04

She didn't produce or circulate it according to anything I've read.
She was in possession of the material; that's also an offence

Drawing comparisons with child **** is disingenuous. Production of that material is impossible without harming a child. Whereas it's possible to know how to poison someone without actually doing it.
Really? The principle is clear: There is some material which society deems unacceptable: child **** is one, terrorist instruction manuals are another. She was in possession of the latter, she was convicted. Simple as. As for the other aspect of your argument, instructional literature develops as a result of terrorist activity: people have died/been injured to produce the knowledge in that material, it's not harmless to possess it, just as it's not harmless to possess child ****: both have emerged as a result of the suffering of others and perpetuate that suffering!

What's more it appears the CPS tried to stitch her up by drawing conclusions and making false accusations to obfuscate the case.
No, they made a judgment that the poetry should be considered in the same light as the instruction manuals; the court of appeal disagreed. The prosecution was perfectly valid in respect of the former material. There is no oppression here: this is just an odious person bringing themselves to the attention of the authorities by virtue of their own dubious conduct. The legal issue was a matter of definition and scope and was rightly deliberated by the COA.

As for your entreaty that people such as Samina should 'F**k off back where you came from', which part of west London do you want her to go to? Or have you forgotten she's as British as you are?
Now who's being disingenuous: I was speaking generally, not just in repsect to this case.

I'd argue that this individual stopped being as British as I when she took possession of that literature and started her inflammatory rants against a country whose freedom she clearly enjoys and benefits from! Of course, what she would not doubt regard as the horrible, vindictive oppressive UK law would still see her as every bit as British as I.

Injustice? I think not; not for her anyway!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 18 June 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 18 June 2008, 01:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SwissTony

How to tell if there is a terrorist at the airport:

How To Tell If There Is A Terrorist At The Airport | Funny UK Comedy

Old 18 June 2008, 01:33 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I've covered the possession of the material angle already, the law is being misused.

Likewise the **** angle, nobody is harmed if I write a manual on how to garotte somebody or possess it. Only if someone then goes out and does it.

Regarding the stitch up the CPS tried to make out that Samina was involved in a terrorist plot involving her job at a newsagent. They incorrectly used her writings as 'proof' of this intention.

She isn't odious, she's a victim. What's odious is the institutional hatred of Islam that we have seen here. The appeal court saw through the CPS and overturned this miscarriage of justice.

Insh'Allah Samina will be able to claim damages for the wrongful conviction and the time stolen from her life.

If anything I'd say Samina is similarly British to you. Being someone who clearly feels it's her right to express her political opinion as you are doing. I can't help feeling her rhetoric would be somewhat more impressive than your unreconstructed, thugish and mindless 'send them back' diatribe.

Last edited by NACRO; 18 June 2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 18 June 2008, 01:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a pattern here, pick a subject, preferably an emotive one and then decide where the SN Massives opinions will lie (usually thats pretty simple), then write an empassioned and eloquent post completely to the contrary to stimulate debate and the usual Infraction, given NACROS usual disdain for the rest of humanity I doubt one small girl of Asian origin rates very high on the NACRO scale of all that is important, especially her being pretty stupid and possibly in the future dangerous, as for British justice, do me a favour, if you are such a self contained unit it will scarely be a worry to you what happens in these cases.

It would have been a fairly unsafe prosecution based on her just possesing the material, I suspect it would have been divisive to send her away so I grudgingly agree that it was the right outcome, her being in prison serves no purpose as she is much more use outside where her activities can be monitored, though I do doubt she had any involvement in any actual terrorist activity, I think she just like the idea of playing with fire and given the way females are treated in those societies I doubt that she would be allowed to get involved.

I do think she shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a job in an airport again and Haynes should stop producing these manuals.

Quick Reply: British Justice vindicated