f.a.o. swiss tony (chris)

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 07:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f.a.o. swiss tony (chris)

pms were messing me about so il ask you on here

have you a link to the engine bay cleaning piece you did? i cant find it and im gonna try cleaning my engine bay tomorrow as a means to make the car look better for potential buyers.

cheers
Old 18 June 2008, 07:39 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

be careful, some buyers view a spotless engine bay suspiciously. What are you trying to hide
Old 18 June 2008, 07:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

absolutley nothing thank you very much

it was in an earlier thread here around post 25 onwards, where it was advised a clean engine bay is a good selling point.

i have nothing to hide regards the car, and dont like it being insinuated that i do... hence why im welcome for anyone to view etc etc.
Old 18 June 2008, 07:47 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy
many thanks for thinking of me and my 'specalised' skills

All the info is here

Polished Swiss Cleaning Guides

You can download it and print it off for reference. There are also buying guides for you.

If there are any problerms, I can email you the actual PDF

Shame I couldnt help you out by valeting the car to help with the sale, but you are a tad far away
Old 18 June 2008, 07:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Andy
many thanks for thinking of me and my 'specalised' skills

All the info is here

Polished Swiss Cleaning Guides

You can download it and print it off for reference. There are also buying guides for you.

If there are any problerms, I can email you the actual PDF

Shame I couldnt help you out by valeting the car to help with the sale, but you are a tad far away

aye unfortunatley. we could have come to an agreement re. a nice commission piece as a swap package for an uber detail. never mind.

il be honest, my main fear is getting water into bad places, especially though cardboard and tin foil etc. i think i may try it with just a garden hose or on a low setting for my pressure washer.
Old 18 June 2008, 07:58 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
aye unfortunatley. we could have come to an agreement re. a nice commission piece as a swap package for an uber detail. never mind.

il be honest, my main fear is getting water into bad places, especially though cardboard and tin foil etc. i think i may try it with just a garden hose or on a low setting for my pressure washer.
stop being a poof man ...northern men are meant to made of sterner stuff. Now get in there and stop worrying. I have ****ing soaked my engine before and no ill effects Tinfoil has better protection properties than anything else, just remember not to spray water directly into or onto the intercooler.

I would have done the valet for you tbh to help you out, but the cost involved in petrol from sunnu scunny to bucks might be too much
Old 18 June 2008, 08:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

stop being a poof man ...northern men are meant to made of sterner stuff. Now get in there and stop worrying. I have ****ing soaked my engine before and no ill effects Tinfoil has better protection properties than anything else, just remember not to spray water directly into or onto the intercooler.

I would have done the valet for you tbh to help you out, but the cost involved in petrol from sunnu scunny to bucks might be too much
so besides the

intercooler
alarm housing
alternator
battery terminals

is there anything else i need to be wary of? have standard airbox.

mentioned it on another thread, i have bought from halfords..

autoglym engine degreaser
gunk laquer/dressing
a cone wheel brush for agitating. should be enough for a simpleton like myself.
Old 18 June 2008, 08:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

MAF Sensor..they dont like a lot of water on them

As for the cleaning, remember these points.

* cover the sides of the bodywork and windscren so you dont get overspray from the detailer and degreaser on them..a simple plastic decorators sheet will do.

* agitate like buggery the degreaser

* dont be heavy handed with the gunk lacquer..it likes light coats with an hour between coats. It is the cheap version and can look too shiny so dont go mad.

* remember to take all the coverings off BEFORE starting the engine

that should help you somewhat
Old 18 June 2008, 09:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

MAF Sensor..they dont like a lot of water on them

As for the cleaning, remember these points.

* cover the sides of the bodywork and windscren so you dont get overspray from the detailer and degreaser on them..a simple plastic decorators sheet will do.

* agitate like buggery the degreaser

* dont be heavy handed with the gunk lacquer..it likes light coats with an hour between coats. It is the cheap version and can look too shiny so dont go mad.

* remember to take all the coverings off BEFORE starting the engine

that should help you somewhat
only thing im buggered with is a sheet. me and nat have no plastic sheets etc, but as mentioned above, i wont be using a lot of pressure, if not just a hose and not the pressure washer at all.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:12 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

only thing im buggered with is a sheet. me and nat have no plastic sheets etc, but as mentioned above, i wont be using a lot of pressure, if not just a hose and not the pressure washer at all.
Andy
It dosent matter mate, even if it seems a still day, no wind, you can get overspray on the bodywork. A plastic sheet is cheap as chips mate from B&Q

Anyway girlfriend and I said, why dont you and nat come down, make a weekend of it and I can valet it for you

The offer is there
Old 18 June 2008, 09:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Andy
It dosent matter mate, even if it seems a still day, no wind, you can get overspray on the bodywork. A plastic sheet is cheap as chips mate from B&Q

Anyway girlfriend and I said, why dont you and nat come down, make a weekend of it and I can valet it for you

The offer is there

petrol money chris

easily over £100 to get there and back, and then theres food etc. honestly if i had the money i would, but every penny counts currently
Old 18 June 2008, 09:19 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

petrol money chris

easily over £100 to get there and back, and then theres food etc. honestly if i had the money i would, but every penny counts currently
yeah, yeah I know. Well food would all be provided and Nat and Zoe could natter about crap whilst we chat and do the car. As I say, the offer is there
Old 18 June 2008, 09:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

yeah, yeah I know. Well food would all be provided and Nat and Zoe could natter about crap whilst we chat and do the car. As I say, the offer is there
if i had the petrol money chris il genuinely take you up on that. i gets people chatting to me in the stret re. cleaning my car. im pretty **** and get funny looks, so ive started doing it round the bak on my driveway which is garageless.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Okay, well dont forget to take some pics beforehand and afterwards

have a look at my website under 'Dirty Engine " to see the ones I took when I did my first ever engine detail over 4 years ago ....my technique hasnt changed that much, except my son is now 8 !!!

Welcome
Old 18 June 2008, 09:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Okay, well dont forget to take some pics beforehand and afterwards

have a look at my website under 'Dirty Engine " to see the ones I took when I did my first ever engine detail over 4 years ago ....my technique hasnt changed that much, except my son is now 8 !!!

Welcome

had a look on the dirty engine bit and read this... I covered the air filter in a plastic bag, cling film over the alternator, alarm housing and various other electricals and made up a cardboard cover for the intercooler.

what are the various other electricals? besides whats been mentioned in previous posts, is there anything that needs covering besides intercooler (card), alarm, alternator and batt. terminals?
Old 18 June 2008, 09:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

absolutley nothing thank you very much

it was in an earlier thread here around post 25 onwards, where it was advised a clean engine bay is a good selling point.

i have nothing to hide regards the car, and dont like it being insinuated that i do... hence why im welcome for anyone to view etc etc.
no one is insinuating anything, stop being over sensitive. I'm simply pointing out that some people will instantly wonder whether you're trying to hide an oil leak. Obviously if the rest of the car is detailed to a high standard it would seem more natural, which is what it sounds like you plan to do.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
no one is insinuating anything, stop being over sensitive. I'm simply pointing out that some people will instantly wonder whether you're trying to hide an oil leak. Obviously if the rest of the car is detailed to a high standard it would seem more natural, which is what it sounds like you plan to do.
pretty much, yes. want the whole car to look clean.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

had a look on the dirty engine bit and read this... I covered the air filter in a plastic bag, cling film over the alternator, alarm housing and various other electricals and made up a cardboard cover for the intercooler.

what are the various other electricals? besides whats been mentioned in previous posts, is there anything that needs covering besides intercooler (card), alarm, alternator and batt. terminals?
All are detailed in the new up to date thread, you have mentioned them all. In those days I was a bit vaguer