Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

pet insurance

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 11:56 PM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pet insurance

i'm going to get a boxer puppy cos the house is soo quiet without one, and i've decided to get pet insurance but not sure who to use, what the best policy is and what the insurance covers etc
Old 20 June 2008, 12:01 AM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LondonTownie
i'm going to get a boxer puppy cos the house is soo quiet without one, and i've decided to get pet insurance but not sure who to use, what the best policy is and what the insurance covers etc
Could you not just turn the radio up louder?
Old 20 June 2008, 12:14 AM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

its not the same though is it, like when you come home and all you got is the sound of a blabbering dj to greet you. and you can't teach a radio to sit, roll over or fetch
Old 20 June 2008, 12:17 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

awww, Londontownie... great move.. did you have a boxer previously?? we had to have our boxer put to sleep a few weeks back so i know what you mean about the house being too quiet

post some pics up when you get him/her!!
Old 20 June 2008, 12:22 AM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Wink

its not the same though is it, like when you come home and all you got is the sound of a blabbering dj to greet you. and you can't teach a radio to sit, roll over or fetch
Totally agree with you but no boxer I know would do that anyway without putting up a fight.
Old 20 June 2008, 12:28 AM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
awww, Londontownie... great move.. did you have a boxer previously?? we had to have our boxer put to sleep a few weeks back so i know what you mean about the house being too quiet

post some pics up when you get him/her!!
i did i had a brindle one called george, had him for 12 years and he got cancer in the stomach so we had to put him to sleep how long did u have yours for?
Old 20 June 2008, 12:29 AM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl Wunout
Totally agree with you but no boxer I know would do that anyway without putting up a fight.
lol yea i know what u mean, my old one would only do it if there was something in it for him i.e. a treat or a toy lol
Old 20 June 2008, 12:31 AM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

lol yea i know what u mean, my old one would only do it if there was something in it for him i.e. a treat or a toy lol
Damn, that joke fell flat.
Old 20 June 2008, 12:41 AM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

i thought i'd post some pics of my old one R.I.P
Old 20 June 2008, 08:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

There was a recent thread on this but I can't find it - helpful eh

Try here though

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...insurance.html

dl
Old 20 June 2008, 10:12 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I had more than, quite good and happy with them, will be using them again if I get another dog.

Dont forget though that all vets dont neccesarily take the insurance, the smaller vets unless its a very high amount for treatment require you to pay and then you claim back from the insurance.
Old 20 June 2008, 10:44 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

George looked a little diamond, RIP.
I have a boxer and french bulldog, they both have cancer.
The boxers is'nt too bad at present but has cost around £600 for treatment, and the bulldog's costs are in the thousands, he's now undergoing Chemotherapy, bless his little heart.
I would definately encourage taking out pet insurance.
Boxers are a lovely breed. Good luck.
Old 20 June 2008, 11:48 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

i thought i'd post some pics of my old one R.I.P
Aww, he looks lovely.. RIP George

Another one who liked his blanket...that's started me blubbing again
Old 20 June 2008, 11:54 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

This was Ben.. he was 11years old.

4 weeks today he was put to sleep after being diagnosed with heart failure.. it all happened really quickly, and has absolutely devestated me

Old 20 June 2008, 12:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a couple of months since we had ours put to sleep, still not sure what to do, its strange not having a dog and I do miss it but I dont miss the extra work, clearing up turdleys, scratching at the door, dog hair, buying food, having to get back at a certain time, smells..., arranging somewhere to leave him/her, bed in the kitchen, bowls on the floor, grooming, vet visits, barking, farting, leaping at visitors (ours hadnt done that for awhile), getting out at every opportunity, raiding the bins, chewing stuff, mithering for food.

So, why do I want to get another, I dont think you can actually explain why as every objective argument says not to !
Old 20 June 2008, 12:31 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

clearing up turdleys, scratching at the door, dog hair, having to get back at a certain time, arranging somewhere to leave him/her, bed in the kitchen, bowls on the floor, , vet visits, barking, leaping at visitors (ours hadnt done that for awhile), , raiding the bins, chewing stuff, mithering for food.

I bet you do most of that stuff yourself let alone a dog!
Old 20 June 2008, 01:13 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

nice pics little-ginge

My wife is just going to pick up the ashes of our Molly, we had her cremated and the ashes are in a wooden casket thing.

Dont know how I will be later when I see it
Old 20 June 2008, 01:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your pooch mate - I'm still traumatised by mine 5 years ago. I had to hold the paw so as they can shave his fur off to administer the injection etc etc. Horrible business - then they add 17.5% VAT to the bill

I decided to put £25 a month in a savings account in lieu of insurance for current Pooch. Fund is £1500 now... Slightly risky if there is a big complication, but these are very rare in my experience.

D
Old 20 June 2008, 01:20 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
nice pics little-ginge

My wife is just going to pick up the ashes of our Molly, we had her cremated and the ashes are in a wooden casket thing.

TY. We had ben cremated.. and he is in a lovely wooden casket thing.
I found it very, very hard when we collected him. My thoughts were along the lines of he was such a large personality that it didnt seem right to have him in this dinky box - but I am glad we did as I still have him with me in a way. I think I'm probably tormenting him though as I have put his favourite squeaky and a gravy bone next to him

He is in the house atm, and we are undecided whether to put him in the garden near his favourite spot or keep him with us...
Old 20 June 2008, 01:21 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Sorry to hear about your pooch mate - I'm still traumatised by mine 5 years ago. I had to hold the paw so as they can shave his fur off to administer the injection etc etc. Horrible business - then they add 17.5% VAT to the bill

I decided to put £25 a month in a savings account in lieu of insurance for current Pooch. Fund is £1500 now... Slightly risky if there is a big complication, but these are very rare in my experience.

D

thats along the lines of what we decided to do. and when Ben went on to metacam for his creaky joints, we just added more money each month to cover the quarterly bills
Old 20 June 2008, 01:28 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

D
Takes a lot of £25's a month if a dog bites somebody nowadays OR causes a road accident costing several thousand pounds in legal fees alone. Illness or injury to the animal is the secondary reason I take cover. Primarily its for the third party cover.
Old 20 June 2008, 02:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Those are two things I've never ever worried about mate. It's enough worrying about the melting ice caps! D
Old 20 June 2008, 02:26 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Those are two things I've never ever worried about mate. It's enough worrying about the melting ice caps! D
Nobody mentioned worrying about them.
Old 20 June 2008, 03:24 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your dogs, life seems a little emptier without them i'll bet?

Having got 2 dogs I can say there is no substitute for decent insurance. My eldest dog got chased one day by two lurchers and to get a way he climbed a 6 foot fence. Unfortunately the main road is on the other side and he got knocked over.

Bill for the car, which hit him £2500.
Bill to put the dogs leg back together as it got smashed in to 11 pieces £6500, thats £4500 for the two operations and another £2000 for the subsequent after care. Its £350 every set of x-rays!

We have Marks and Spencers pet insurance and they have been spot on all the way. We where with Pet Plan but the price got silly after 2 years.
Old 20 June 2008, 04:43 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Takes a lot of £25's a month if a dog bites somebody nowadays OR causes a road accident costing several thousand pounds in legal fees alone. Illness or injury to the animal is the secondary reason I take cover. Primarily its for the third party cover.
Cant you use the legal cover on your house contents insurance for things like this ?
Im looking at Pet insurance as im about to add a 3rd cat and wondered about just sticking cash some away (just incase),
It starts to add up if you have more then 1 pet to insure.
Old 20 June 2008, 05:17 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

We've always had Great Danes and always had them insured, as you can imagine when things go wrong it's very expensive as they are very big and require more meds ect ect

We insure with sainsburys and they paid out well everytime we have used them and direct to the vet, one of our danes died last year and they promptly paid purchase price and vet costs and were very kind and sensitive on the phone which when you are mourning (even if it's for an animal) is so important.

Currently £21 a month which is nothing for peace of mind knowing he will be looked after should he have an accident or god forbid cause one or injure someone or us be sued.....there is more to pet insurance than just costs of operations or illness.
Old 20 June 2008, 05:19 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Absoloutly right!

Imagine your dog causes a bus to crash and there are injuries on board.....could run into millions ...
Old 20 June 2008, 05:24 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
nice pics little-ginge

Hope you are both ok later, it was heartbreaking bringing our danes home in a tiny box and even though we were intent on scattering the ashes they are still here.....something we must get round to on his fave walks ect, are you allowed to put animal ashes anywhere??? I know you can't with human ashes..
Old 20 June 2008, 05:36 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

I have been with Petplan since our dog was 6 weeks old...he is now 12 and has been on permanent medication for a skin condition for around 4 years now. Petplan have been truly superb throughout the whole thing, and have paid out in excess of 3K in vet fees for us....even with a premium of £18 month well worth every penny I say...thanks pet plan..
Old 20 June 2008, 07:47 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

True, but then again you don't have to worry that your radio will......

Eat your furniture

**** on your floor

P1ss on your floor

Attack your friends kids

Get a hamster, then if it's ill all it will cost you is the bag you have to put it in when you hit it with a shovel (although I actually ended up strangling mine )

Geezer

Quick Reply: pet insurance