Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vehicle Inspectorate scammers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2008, 01:48 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Inspectorate scammers?

Yesterday I was coming off J9 of the M25 and a VOSA vehicle comes out of the Vosa station there. It's one of their marked vehicles. On the back there is a sticker of the (small) Safety Camera sign, the same standard black and white one you see on the roads indicating speed or red light camera's or on/by scamera vans. On top of the light bar there is a obvious camera facing rear (I couldn't see if there was one from the front). it was one of the Vauxhall Zafira's not one of the motorway officer 4x4's.

I know that the VOSA have certain powers, for example stopping HGVs for roadworthyness and weight, and they sometimes help out what the council/police do emissions tests on the general public at checkpoints. But what else can they check for on a private vehicle - APNR, speeding, driving carelessly?

Is this a new menace I should be watching out for? I go past that Vosa station on my way home from work and there are always Vosa cars about, I'm always wary anyway as regularly they are backed up by marked police traffic cars. But maybe they are increasing their powers and want a slice of the scamera money themselves (someone has to justify paying for fitting those cameras).
Old 01 July 2008, 01:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VOSA vehicle use an ANPR-type system. Im only aware of it being used to identify goods ehicles though (having been stopped by a man with a little hammer, in one, more than once)...