Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Biker question - Supermotos

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 09:19 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody here ride a Supermotard? Thinking of swapping my Suzuki TLR for one.

Looking at either the CCM R30 or the Husky SM610. Would love to hear any experiences, opinions, suggestions or alternatives...

Half the power, half the weight - twice the fun, apparently.

cheers
Andrew
Old 04 February 2002, 11:39 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

They are literally a license to lose your license!! A lot of guys over here do motorX in winter on them with knobbly tyres, then put slicks on and do the local hillclimb in summer. They are devastating in the twistys. The 250cc record is faster than every other class of bike on the hill.
You will find yourself spending most of your time trying to stop wheelies, allegedly a CR250 will wheelie in EVERY gear, so god knows what a 500 husky will do! Be careful with race cans too, a 500cc husky is fookin loud!
BBBBRRRRRRAAAAAARRRRPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 February 2002, 05:06 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Andrew,

Agree with all of Simons comments as I owned a KTM Duke for a while,absolutely devastating through the twisties etc.Just pick a line and hurl it in .But on anything longer than a 30 or 40 mile ride you might as well have been sitting on a razor blade and as for high speed runs you will end up with a serously long neck.
I personally fell in love with the looks and the kit fitted to the bike(brembos,white power suspension etc) but in retrospect I would have been better off parking it in my front room and looking at it .Oh yeah and the fact I thought it would slow me down cos I had been busted for speeding and thought I was going to loose my license as well.
You really do need to weigh up what you want from the bike and the sort of use it is going to get(says steve who had a £5500 ornament in the end).

Hope the above makes some sense

Steve
Old 02 April 2002, 12:57 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have been using a KTM LC4 for the ride to work for a few weeks now. It is disturbingly quick around tight stuff, I can't imagine doing that kind of thing quicker on any other bike. Anything over 20-30 miles on the road though is a real pain in the @rse. I have another bike for longer distance stuff - I couldn't live with it as an only bike.

As for the bike itself. Husky don't have the dealer/spares backup of either CCM or KTM. The CCM is great fun but rather crude in comparison to the LC4. Little things like exposed wiring and poor quality switchgear don't help but although I have heard of lots of niggling faults with CCMs in their first few miles, they seem to settle down after 4-5k.
Rotax have stopped producing the air cooled lump used by CCM and although they have bought up all existing units, they will be switching to Suzuki motors by the end of the year - probably the DRZ400 motor.
The LC4 is better finished but still has the de-rigueur solid seat, finger numbing vibes and a motor that sounds like a bag of nails - mostly clutch noise. Top whack is only about 90mph and you wouldn't want to hold it there for long.

Having said all that, on short tight runs it is the most fun you are likely to have on the road!

Simon

PS: WARNING - these bikes make you ride like a complete tw@t!

[Edited by SimonD - 2/4/2002 3:00:59 PM]