Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do the English...

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2008, 11:45 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do the English...

...take such offence when Scottish people say that they are not supporting the England team in the World Cup?

Are those that do really that insecure that can't just accept it?

Its just one of those things, entranched in our culture. And, to be honest, its really no big deal. The "auld enemy" and all that

It doesn't mean that the Scots hate the English (well, not all the time - joke!) and you really should stop taking it as a personal affront.

Sure, not everyone from Scotland holds that view and Murray could have been a bit more considered in his response, and less naieve of the implications, but he's only 21 and at least being honest.

For the record - I'm with Murray on this - and will support anyone who's playing England. For a whole host of reasons, but none of them are because I harbour any dislike of England, its people or its culture. In my sport of choice F1, I was very much a Hill supporter not a Coulthard supporter when they both drove for Williams. Nothing to do with nationality.

The whole football thing is a view thats unlikely to change, and certainly not when such a big deal is made of it. Its almost as if there is an arrogance (as beautifully demonstrated in abdaz post on the Henman thread) that "expects" the support to switch to the English team if other national sides are not playing or have been eliminated. That expects the Scots to consider England as "their" country.

When all that shows is a complete lack of respect for and understanding of Scottish culture.

Respect and support is earned, not a given. Perhaps if that was more fully acknowledged and accepted then the Scots (as a whole) would indeed be more supportive of the England team in such circumstances.

I know that I would for one
Old 03 July 2008, 11:52 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest Devildog I have no idea.

I am English. I don't support Scotland in the World Cup or Wales for that matter. Why? Because I'm not of that nationality. (I have never understood the support of the Irish, I mean they aren't even part of the UK for ****s sake)

If, as an English person you want to support Scotland, then fill your boots, but that doesn't mean that the Scots should be eternally grateful and cheer loudly when England score.

A lot of it depends on how he country is represented in the given sport. In football and Rugby, it is England,Scotland, Wales etc, therefore, we are split.

With regards to Tennis, Athletics, Mototr racing etc, we are "GBR" therefore, British, and whether they are English, Scottish, Welsh or Nothern Irish doesn't come into it for me.

I couldn't give a flying **** whether a Scot support England in a championship or not, Just like I suspect a Scot couldn't give a **** whether I support Scotland or not.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:54 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I always thought it was the other way around tbh, why do the Scots cheer on any other footy team in the world cup when played against England i.e. Argentina.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:56 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It's the Scots with the chip on their shoulders always comparing themselves to the English. The English couldn't give two ***** about the Scots in all honesty.
Old 03 July 2008, 11:58 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | Scotland | England shirt attacks condemned

Lighthearted jeering?

Child and disabled man!
Old 03 July 2008, 11:59 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong here but there seems to be a hatred of the English when it comes to footy maybe it is just banter that stems back centuries, although having been around the Scottish highlands and Skye on more than one occasion i've found the Scottish to be a friendly and hospitable nation.

even if they do like a drink
Old 03 July 2008, 11:59 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

If we werent in a competition (England), then I would support our close neighbours. If others dont want to do the same I dont give a toss.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:01 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Not a clue mate, personally I wouldn't support Scotland in the World Cup or Euros, and I wouldn't expect any Scot to support us either.....so I've got no idea why anyone would be particularly bothered about a Scotsman not supporting England!

Besides, we're both too **** to make it into any major tournaments at the mo anyway to be fair, so what difference does it make
Old 03 July 2008, 12:04 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Oh dear lord!! Not the great Scottish/English debate again!!

I'm not getting involved this time!!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:05 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Yea but look at the fat English ****. He looks just like he needed a good punch.

Originally Posted by rossi_p
BBC NEWS | Scotland | England shirt attacks condemned

Lighthearted jeering?

Child and disabled man!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:05 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
Oh dear lord!! Not the great Scottish/English debate again!!

I'm not getting involved this time!!
You were the first one to bite on the other thread
Old 03 July 2008, 12:06 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
It's the Scots with the chip on their shoulders always comparing themselves to the English. The English couldn't give two ***** about the Scots in all honesty.
^^^

Another great example of an absolute lack of understanding about Scottish people and their culture from someone with an anti Scots posting history I believe

If the English couldn't give two ****s, then why all the furore about Murray's comments?
Old 03 July 2008, 12:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog

If the English couldn't give two ****s, then why all the furore about Murray's comments?
Because some English people believe that Scottish people should support English teams, just because some English people support Scottish ones.

The differenc eis I suppose, that Scottish people will support Who ever is playing England. Whereas English people don;t give a **** who wins when you play because you're completely insignificant

Last edited by PeteBrant; 03 July 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:09 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
You were the first one to bite on the other thread
All in jest!

I remember there was a thread a few years back which went on forever and ended up locked IIRC. Had my blood boiling!!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:10 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

^^^

Another great example of an absolute lack of understanding about Scottish people and their culture from someone with an anti Scots posting history I believe

Err. several of my best mates are Scots. No issues here other than friendly banter. I just know they tend to take more satisfaction from England's failings than their won success.... which I find odd. I'd be happy for the Scots to do well but it seems the Scots generally enjoy seeing England fail. They do say that is down in large to the stupid hype from the media around anything to do with England and the football team.

Now pish off ya ned!
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It does appear to always be the Scots that are making the point.

Its up to us English to help the Scots feel good about themselves and stop this right now.

Bless the ethnic minorities I say, even the really strange speaking ones.

Scotland,

You are not stuck up there because we don't love you, its just because housing is cheaper and we couldn't afford to subsidise you all down here. You play an important role in society, certainly in research terms about how the rest of us used to live. Keep up the good work.

Love,

England.

Old 03 July 2008, 12:11 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Because some English people believe that Scottish people should support English teams, just because some English people support Scottish ones.

The differenc eis I suppose, that Scottish people will support Who ever is playing England. Whereas English people don;t give a **** who wins when you play because you're completely insignificant
LOL

Agreed - but yet you don't see "us" up in arms when faced with such criticism
Old 03 July 2008, 12:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Deep fried pizza all round!!!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

LOL

Agreed - but yet you don't see "us" up in arms when faced with such criticism
Indeed. Perosnally I think Murray is perfectly entitled to say he wouldn;t support England in a football tournament. I would be amazed if he said anything other than that.

Like I said, its all to so with sports where the teams are seperate.

Prime example - In the Olympics I support Team GB. In the commonwealths I support Team England.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:13 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
Yea but look at the fat English ****. He looks just like he needed a good punch.
Seeing as he is disabled, bit hard to go running...

Hostility mainly comes from North of the border, I'm assuming jealously, or maybe the centuries of oppression.

Still, I don't know why, the roads are sooooo much better up there!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:16 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's so much that the English get annoyed that the Scots don't support England, I think it's more that the Scots seem to make such a big deal about NOT supporting England and make a big deal about supporting the opposition. Why? Is it just to upset your neighbours?
Old 03 July 2008, 12:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
All in jest!

I remember there was a thread a few years back which went on forever and ended up locked IIRC. Had my blood boiling!!
Are you sure it wasn't your Irn Bru boiling? I want some mash Tatties & neeps, now that I could manage too
Old 03 July 2008, 12:18 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Have you noticed how the Scots don't have a top lip? It's because they're so dour and hardly ever smile. Then with their limited speech which never involves any of the muscles used in the top part of the face years of underdevelopment has lead to the top lip all but disappearing from their face.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:19 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
It does appear to always be the Scots that are making the point.

Its up to us English to help the Scots feel good about themselves and stop this right now.

Bless the ethnic minorities I say, even the really strange speaking ones.

Scotland,

You are not stuck up there because we don't love you, its just because housing is cheaper and we couldn't afford to subsidise you all down here. You play an important role in society, certainly in research terms about how the rest of us used to live. Keep up the good work.

Love,

England.

Spoon, we like being different

You've raised an interesting and somewhat ironic point though. We as a nation are used to failure. And in that sense we are somewhat more realistic than England

Personally I would suggest that part of the problem is that (sorry, I hate to be generic, but it makes the posts quicker) is that English culture imparts a need to be popular/loved/supported whatever, and a lack of understanding when that's not the case?

Incidentally - that comment comes from two English colleages who are within earshot of me right now and are not the sole views of a Scottish person
Old 03 July 2008, 12:19 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I cheered for Andy Murray
Old 03 July 2008, 12:20 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Have you noticed how the Scots don't have a top lip? It's because they're so dour and hardly ever smile. Then with their limited speech which never involves any of the muscles used in the top part of the face years of underdevelopment has lead to the top lip all but disappearing from their face.

I can see plentiful infractions being dished out this afternoon!!
Old 03 July 2008, 12:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I cheered for Andy Murray
Me too.

I cheered the miserable **** to defeat.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:22 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've been in pubs where scots/irish/welsh have purposely gone to see England play....intent on England losing and supporting whatever team they are playing against.

Bit sad don't you think; Watching a game because you want a particular team/individual to lose?

Last edited by Shark Man; 03 July 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03 July 2008, 12:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Me too.

I cheered the miserable **** to defeat.
As is your right

But would you have a problem with, say, a Scot cheering the England football team to defeat?

Quick Reply: Why do the English...