What Do You Reckon?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2008, 06:57 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Do You Reckon?

Going to look at a car tomorrow.

I have asked all the usual questions and got satisfactory answers, except for one.

Which would normally stop me even going to view ..... but, anyway, I may go and have a look as it seems OK with the exception of this one thing ...

The owner says that he is currently renting a house, having sold their house a year ago - an astute move in the current market.

Well, he has moved a few times - all into rented accomodation ... but, the car has remained on the Reg. Doc. as the house he used to own. He 'seemed' genuinely shocked that he had forgotten to change the address (on the phone) ... but not too sure about this!

I also rang the landline number and the person answering gave me a mobile number to ring, said it was his relative who was 'out-and-about' ... they did know what car I was enquiring about (so there is only one available).

How can I prove that he/ his wife are the rightfull owners?

I'm a suspicious character and would probably walk away rather than risk getting stung, considering that I may never find them again!
Old 12 July 2008, 07:35 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Tell the owner of your concerns. If he is genuine, he will bend over backwards to allay your fears. Ask for ID; Driving licence, Utility bill- from old registered address if poss (I still have some from a house I sold 2 years ago. You don't just chuck'em do you?), or mortgage docs. Ask him to describe the house, in detail, and go round to check. He should understand, and at least try to help. After all, it's a buyers market, and he's been the pillock, not you.
If he get's Arsey, walk away. Oh, and get an HPI report regardless.
If anything doesn't feel right, walk.
Cheers, Nick

And knock an extra £500 off for good measure!

Last edited by nixxon; 12 July 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Feeling tight
Old 12 July 2008, 07:59 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

any doubts walk away
Old 12 July 2008, 08:04 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The car is at the top of its price - but the car 'sounds' right, full service history, old MOTs and suchlike ..... if only the reg doc was in order

I did think of old utility bills for the property listed on the reg doc. .... but would they have them?

The last Service has just been carried out, should be an Invoice with their name and address on it? Plus Invoices for the old address and their name?

As you say, it's a buyers market ......
Old 14 July 2008, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You could come to a deal subject to him sorting the address out with DVLA before any money changes hands.

Les
Old 14 July 2008, 11:26 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You could come to a deal subject to him sorting the address out with DVLA before any money changes hands.

Les
Yes, Les ... I thought about that .... does it take about 14 days to get docs back? At the very least if they baulk at the idea I will be right to suspect something.

Didn't get to see it in any case as the person I was looking at it for couldn't be bothered to turn up! She had better things to do .... could I make time one evening this week??!!!!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 14 July 2008 at 11:29 AM.