Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RIAT Fairford also cancelled on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2008, 08:35 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIAT Fairford also cancelled on Sunday

I cant find the other thread regarding today, so I am posting a new one.

Those of you travelling to fairford tomorrow (13th) do not attempt to go, the second day of the airshow has also been cancelled

Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises
Old 12 July 2008, 08:49 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

thats is abig shame, i went to the one in 1985, and always used to go to mildenhall.
Old 12 July 2008, 09:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see the 'Health and Safety' lot have managed to get the whole event cancelled.

Good for them... I expect they will be pushing for it to be cancelled for good now. After all, we are so much better off without all these risky events taking place. Best we stay safely in our homes out of harms way.
Old 12 July 2008, 09:12 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I live about 10 miles from the event, and having driven past it today I can see why they have made this decision. The fields used as car parks are all either under water or look like some sort of mud bath, and apparently the airfield itself is almost as bad. Nobody would be able to access the event without a tractor. Can't really have 70,000 people turning up in conditions like those.

It's a shame, but health and safety reasons are justified in this case I think.
Old 12 July 2008, 09:28 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I live about 10 miles from the event, and having driven past it today I can see why they have made this decision. The fields used as car parks are all either under water or look like some sort of mud bath, and apparently the airfield itself is almost as bad. Nobody would be able to access the event without a tractor. Can't really have 70,000 people turning up in conditions like those.

It's a shame, but health and safety reasons are justified in this case I think.
+1

I'm also local and we were there yesterday and today. Car parks were very muddy, and some of them were having cars/caravans pulled out 1 by 1 with
tractors and Land Rovers. Some car parks per under 8 inches of water or more. I don't see this as a knee jerk H&S reaction, just common sense really, there would have been utter chaos if it had gone ahead.
Old 12 July 2008, 09:43 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Ah, I see the 'Health and Safety' lot have managed to get the whole event cancelled.

Good for them... I expect they will be pushing for it to be cancelled for good now. After all, we are so much better off without all these risky events taking place. Best we stay safely in our homes out of harms way.
I was there last night and got stuck in the field,luckily got pushed out.

There's no way the show could have gone ahead with conditions like that.

It's a real shame,i've been going to the RIAT for years and every year the weather is perfect except this year !
Old 12 July 2008, 10:19 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

Nicely considered well thought out response there UB. Well done.
Old 12 July 2008, 11:29 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Nicely considered well thought out response there UB. Well done.
They will probably get a bonus from the State for their timely and professional intervention. I expect the H&S officers concerned will be enjoying a smug and quiet weekend.

Heaven forefend that any of the 'sheeple' should have to suffer getting mud on their precious 4x4s or family saloons, let alone their wellies...

Last edited by unclebuck; 12 July 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12 July 2008, 11:48 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

yawn.....
Old 12 July 2008, 11:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I was there last night and got stuck in the field,luckily got pushed out.

!
That's the spirit!!

Glastonbury Festival never gets binned by the H&S gooks - although I expect the pressure is huge - get stuck, get a tractor.... the locals love towing people out..

Get in there and enjoy it, whatever the conditiions....
Old 12 July 2008, 11:58 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

UB, I take it you can't be arsed to look on the RIAT website then? You've obviously not seen this pic;

And that's without thousands of cars or people wandering around in there! Why aren't you there flying the flag anyway?! Is it cos you're just a troll, a crap one at that, grrr can't believe I've let myself bite!
Old 12 July 2008, 11:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's the point, they couldn't get in there, let alone get out. At glastonbury, they are usually there before the rain starts. As said before, 70,000+ people in a muddy field is not a great idea.

That wasn't the only reason though. Apparently not even all the planes could get in because of the bad conditions. I guess you think that the pilots are wimps for not risking it as well?
Old 13 July 2008, 12:19 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
UB, I take it you can't be arsed to look on the RIAT website then? You've obviously not seen this pic;

Obviously not Otherwise that image would clearly have been burned into my retina as a stonking example of a picture of 'a puddle of mud'

I know already what precipitation can do to the landscape.... look some mud.. <horror>

I love mud... this is England in the summertime afterall.... what do you expect.
Old 13 July 2008, 12:56 AM
Will
BANNED

UB take your drivel else where you bell end
Old 13 July 2008, 10:01 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
UB take your drivel else where you bell end
+1
Old 13 July 2008, 10:04 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

This was taken in one of the park & view areas on thursday, by someone else not me. One of the other car parks looked like that too, with some traffic plod standing around the pool looking stern.

Old 13 July 2008, 10:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Surly it was not so much to do with Health and Safety so much as the fact that the car parks were just plain unusable. What on earth is the point of having fields of cars stuck in the mud without a hope of getting out for hours and hours. That would be a mindless idiocy!

I feel very sorry for all who have been disappointed when they were hoping to attend and also of course the RAF organisers who have put so much into this event and all for charity too.

Les
Old 13 July 2008, 02:05 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Surly it was not so much to do with Health and Safety so much as the fact that the car parks were just plain unusable. What on earth is the point of having fields of cars stuck in the mud without a hope of getting out for hours and hours. That would be a mindless idiocy!
Ditto. Don't think it has anything to do with H&S, more the big problem of where to put the cars for the tens of thousands of visitors. Traffic is usually bad enough when it's dry and people can drive into a bone dry field.

How would the place cope if cars had to be towed into a parking space as well as back out of the field
Unless there was hard-standing for all the cars, there was only one option!
Old 13 July 2008, 04:22 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just had a wasted "working" weekend at Fairford and am pretty dissapointed that everything was in place and ready to roll, apart from the car parks.

I had a very quiet day on Saturday wandering around (without the camera ), but saw the state of the public car parks which had been ripped to pieces just on Friday PM.
If cars had been let loose in them over the weekend then they'd still be being pulled out next week.
Sunday was perfect weather
This is the second show in a row that has been weather affected, so I bet that the insurers will be very jumpy over the next show and may force some major changes (date or drainage?)

Nick