Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help needed please!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2008, 10:19 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help needed please!!

Normally my posts are just, well a lot of pish tbh but I have a real problem now which I need help to sort out!

Right when I switch my pc on the CPU temp is about 55*c and then sits about 62*c whilst I,m talking bollocks and posting pics of babes, but recently it's suddenly hitting 65*c and the pc just goes off (no shut down, just off! ) So I thought fooked fan/ minging heatsink, so I opened the old boy up and done some surgery, the fan is fine (IIeven fitted a secondary one) and cleaned out the **** in the heatsink, but the prob aint been solved, it's still overheating which means I only have about 20 mins online before I have to shut down and leave it 10 or so to cool

Any ideas guys?

Tam (already at 63*c) the bam

I know this should be in computer relaited but no one looks there! !.... Need to go shutdown before it hits 64*

Any hints greatly appreciated

TIA
Tam
Old 13 July 2008, 10:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

No one help him, we might get some peace!
Old 13 July 2008, 10:28 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Have you got some thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink?
Old 13 July 2008, 10:31 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You need to sort out the airflow through the case as well as the CPU heatsink/fan.

Check all the fans are working through - and you have air being blown THROUGH the case - front to back.

Remove the heatsink from the CPU and clean the gunk off. Put a TINY amount of thermal compound in the middle of the heatsink and reapply the heatsink to the CPU.

The compound is meant to fill the gaps between the CPU and heatsink and not provide a layer (common mistake).

You may also want to give the whole case a clear out while you're there - a dust buster (compressed air can) is the best bet.
Old 13 July 2008, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

filthy muppet
Old 13 July 2008, 10:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tam, it's a government imposed limiter on talking bollócks. If you suddenly become sensible and have something half decent to say then you get unlimited access to the internet like I and

Last edited by Spoon; 13 July 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Wrong word in there.

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2008, 10:48 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by BOB.T
No one help him, we might get some peace!
Shurrup you

One of the case fans had died, but I replaced it today Dave, though the same **** is happening

Kieran and phoenix there was a great deal of thermal compound put between them both, Normally stuff like this doesn't cause me a problem, but today it really has me scratching my head, especially after fitting a secondary CPU fan

Oh and is it the temp of the CPU which shuts the system down or the monitor Maybe it's the temp guage which is faulty and not the actual temp of the CPU

Cheers for all the replies btw It's at 64* so gonna switch off again

Old 13 July 2008, 10:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water Cooling, just throw a cup on, will cool it down perfectly.
Old 13 July 2008, 10:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Or maybe an hour in the deep freeze
Old 13 July 2008, 11:17 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Meh, I need to shut it down again before it melts, think I'll leave it off overnight and give it a few healthy kicks in the morning, well it might work
Old 13 July 2008, 11:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

too much thermal compound is bad, only a tiny amount needed.

Also go into your bios and change the shutdown temp range (not to a silly amount as you could fry your processor, although that could mean upgrade time ). Let us know what cpu you have as some can run hot without damage
Old 13 July 2008, 11:28 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
too much thermal compound is bad, only a tiny amount needed.

Also go into your bios and change the shutdown temp range (not to a silly amount as you could fry your processor, although that could mean upgrade time ). Let us know what cpu you have as some can run hot without damage
It's an Athlon XP 2400, The temp is now kinda stable at jumping between 63 and 64*ATM, still kind a funny how it went daft as I normally leave the pc on 24/7 with no problem at all
Old 14 July 2008, 12:15 AM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

I'd be worried at those temps anyway.

Turn mine on and it's around 24, after 10+ hours it reaches about 33. Auto-turns off at 55 yet it's never been over 35.

Must be an issue with one of your components? Graffix card overheating maybe?

as were talking PC's here is my set-up. Pretty much a waste of a decent HD Samsung 32" TV

Old 14 July 2008, 01:02 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Mine only throws hissy fits if it goes above 80degrees (poxy socket 775 heatsink fixings )

Usually buzzes round 45degrees when set in ultra quiet mode whilst doing my usual farting about. Hair dryer mode kicks in at 58degrees, which it has yet to do since sorting out T-balancer.

Anyhoo, talking of overheating PCs...this is what I had to do to my old file server one summer when the HDs (3) started overheating and spinning down:

Hope you sort it. Might be an idea to keep the case cover off...I've noted on some systems the CPU fan can run, then for some unknown reason just stop, allowing the CPU to overheat.
Old 14 July 2008, 01:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Get a Mac ! They're not only cool but way more stylish than those God-awful PC's people are posting up. The display thing on EAndy's looks horrendous
Old 14 July 2008, 01:43 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Bladdy fan boys

Old 14 July 2008, 01:53 AM
Will
BANNED

probably its all that pics of birds on your hard drive makeing your computer hot Tam
Old 14 July 2008, 01:53 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

So cool we don't need fans
Old 14 July 2008, 02:04 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Can you get a 32" iMac
Old 14 July 2008, 02:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Nope, but you can get a Mac Mini and connect it up to your 32" Samsung or whatever else you want Or connect your 20/24" iMac for some dual screen action
Old 14 July 2008, 02:12 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I just priced up a Mac pro - (closest I could get in spec to what I have)...£2452.99....plus monitor

<thud>

Hmmm, think I'll have to pass on that
Old 14 July 2008, 02:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It'd still be running perfectly in 2018 and beyond though, without the need to constantly upgrade. We've just updated our 1998 machines at w*rk with MacPro's and apart from the knackered 3rd party Pioneer DVD drives they are still great machines, more than capable for home use. In the same building our 80+ Dell PC's have a usual replacement cycle under 3 years, and they're only doing email, billing and other trivial office work. The Macs are our production workhorses for 00's of pages of magazine printing every day, 24/7, 363. Remember, you don't need as high a spec due to the way a Mac works. Much slower processors usually outperform Windoze based machine easily.
Old 14 July 2008, 12:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
It's an Athlon XP 2400, The temp is now kinda stable at jumping between 63 and 64*ATM, still kind a funny how it went daft as I normally leave the pc on 24/7 with no problem at all
that temps not to high anyway to be honest as the athlons are known to run hot (think the athlons are save to the 90's )
Old 14 July 2008, 01:12 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Cheers guys I've set the auto-shutdown temp to 70, atm it's sitting around the 63 mark but sometimes bouncing up to 65 (which was enough for it to shut down) then back down to 63-64, so fingers crossed that's it sorted, although I think I'll upgrade the cooling next week. I quite fancy water cooling (not J4CKOS version though )

As for Macs, I don't like the OS very much, cheers anyhoo

PS not looked at any boobies today, maybe mr_imprezas theory is right
Old 14 July 2008, 01:15 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It'd still be running perfectly in 2018 and beyond though, without the need to constantly upgrade. We've just updated our 1998 machines at w*rk with MacPro's and apart from the knackered 3rd party Pioneer DVD drives they are still great machines, more than capable for home use. In the same building our 80+ Dell PC's have a usual replacement cycle under 3 years, and they're only doing email, billing and other trivial office work. The Macs are our production workhorses for 00's of pages of magazine printing every day, 24/7, 363. Remember, you don't need as high a spec due to the way a Mac works. Much slower processors usually outperform Windoze based machine easily.

Our Hewlet Packards Vectras are 10 years old this year...(Pentium IIIs )faultless.....not bad for £100 a piece 8 years ago (ex corperate office lease). Keep the bloatware off them and make sure the software used is within their capeabilities and they are fine (i.e no IE6, use Nod32 instead of McAfee/Norton etc).

Can't blame the hardware for what software/OS manufacturers do. Speaking of which, I'm thinking of putting OS-X on my home PC (subject of checkinh hardware compatibility) and have a fully fledged hackintosh.... why not? I've got XP, Vista and Linux, may as well go the whole hog.
Old 14 July 2008, 02:11 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Meh!! It just crashed again and wouldn't restart, I stripped it down, cleaned everything added another fan to the side of the heatsink and left the side off hopefully this time It can last more than ten mins now

I can see this pc making an exit to the garden the quick way!
Old 14 July 2008, 02:43 PM
spireite
BANNED

Could be the amount of **** stored on the hard on sorry hard drive ,i could possibly store some of it on my computer if you want to email it to me
Old 14 July 2008, 02:54 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by spireite
Could be the amount of **** stored on the hard on sorry hard drive ,i could possibly store some of it on my computer if you want to email it to me

That has it's own dedicated drive

PC has been running almost an hour and hasn't went above 53*
Old 14 July 2008, 03:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This is the trouble on a forum on t'internet; everyones a computer expert.

Tam, what temperature are you seeing inside your chassis (the air inside the case)?

Quick Reply: Help needed please!!