Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have you seen something inexplicable?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2008, 03:39 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Have you seen something inexplicable?

I don't believe in ghosts etc. So I don't want stories about seeing phantoms in the night, lights in the sky... blah, blah, blah.
I want to know if you've witnessed something that is difficult to rationally explain.

My story...
After waking around lunchtime, after having worked until 4 or 5am on plant problems, I get up and put the kettle on before going to the bathroom to 'do what you have to do'.
The kettle is a pretty typical plastic, upright type that sits on a base (which provides the electrical connection) and has a water level indicator built into the side wall.
So; on my return from the bathroom, what do I find. Foofin hell! All the water has leaked from the kettle and has drained onto the worktop and also onto the floor. Vapour is still rising from the spilled water that is obviously hot. Kettle is completely empty, probably at least a litre of water to clean up.
Having cleaned up the spillage I decide to investigate the leak point.
Filled the kettle with cold water...no obvious leak
Decided it must be heat related so dropped kettle on to its base and let it boil...no leak
Kettle is still in operation, and in perfect working order, years after the event.
Old 23 August 2008, 04:25 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wooOOOoooOOOOooo
Old 23 August 2008, 05:01 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

wooOOOoooOOOOooo Indeed!
Old 23 August 2008, 05:17 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Nothing to get steamed up about.....
Old 23 August 2008, 05:26 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Actually now I remember one...

Years back (when I were lad) me and a mate were playing with a boomerang in an open field (parkland, cricket pitch / football pitch kind of thing). No one else in sight.

We were throwing it away seeing if we could get it to return (as you do) and not doing bad, when my mate threw it hard towards the edges of the field and we lost sight of it.

So... much searching and we couldn't find it anywhere. we were just about to give up (I was upset as it was mine ) and the damn thing just flew in from beneath an electricity pylon that was off to one side of the field. We were stood side by side, it clearly flew in from underneath the pylon and there was no one in sight.

We even went looking to make sure no one was hiding or playing silly sods and could find no one around.... really bizarre
Old 23 August 2008, 06:49 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Actually now I remember one...

Years back (when I were lad) me and a mate were playing with a boomerang in an open field (parkland, cricket pitch / football pitch kind of thing). No one else in sight.

We were throwing it away seeing if we could get it to return (as you do) and not doing bad, when my mate threw it hard towards the edges of the field and we lost sight of it.

So... much searching and we couldn't find it anywhere. we were just about to give up (I was upset as it was mine ) and the damn thing just flew in from beneath an electricity pylon that was off to one side of the field. We were stood side by side, it clearly flew in from underneath the pylon and there was no one in sight.

We even went looking to make sure no one was hiding or playing silly sods and could find no one around.... really bizarre

Errrr.........it was a boomerang............they're supposed to come back!
Old 23 August 2008, 07:23 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolangatta
I don't believe in ghosts etc. So I don't want stories about seeing phantoms in the night, lights in the sky... blah, blah, blah.
I want to know if you've witnessed something that is difficult to rationally explain.

My story...
After waking around lunchtime, after having worked until 4 or 5am on plant problems, I get up and put the kettle on before going to the bathroom to 'do what you have to do'.
The kettle is a pretty typical plastic, upright type that sits on a base (which provides the electrical connection) and has a water level indicator built into the side wall.
So; on my return from the bathroom, what do I find. Foofin hell! All the water has leaked from the kettle and has drained onto the worktop and also onto the floor. Vapour is still rising from the spilled water that is obviously hot. Kettle is completely empty, probably at least a litre of water to clean up.
Having cleaned up the spillage I decide to investigate the leak point.
Filled the kettle with cold water...no obvious leak
Decided it must be heat related so dropped kettle on to its base and let it boil...no leak
Kettle is still in operation, and in perfect working order, years after the event.
Similar thing happened to me years ago. Put the kettle on, to come back to it a bit later, to find it was empty and the water was all over the bench, cupboards etc. I had left it, and forgot to go straight back, ended up doing something else for a while before going back to get a cuppa. As with your story, there was no leak, it had simply for some strange reason just kept on boiling, and had boiled dry, as a result water everywhere. It never did it again, strange. I should have realised it was still making a noise after so long, but I didn't twig until it was too late.
Old 23 August 2008, 08:43 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

You don't have a toddler who's potty training do you?

We do, and when we find a steaming puddle on the floor, we don't suspect the kettle
Old 25 August 2008, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My navigator and I once saw a flying saucer at 45 thousand feet at night from a Canberra on the way to Germany. We started to turn back towards the UK when we both suddenly realised it was the moon just beginning to show over the top of a flat sheet of cirrus cloud!

Les
Old 25 August 2008, 01:25 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I once saw my mate pull the hottest girl I had ever seen..... that was inexplicable!!
Old 25 August 2008, 02:00 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

You should see the way my bank balance shrinks due to the "wifey" effect with no visible results! That's foofin unbelievable.
Old 25 August 2008, 02:02 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolangatta

Bossy aren't you
Old 25 August 2008, 02:30 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Bossy aren't you
Yep! It comes from being short in stature and temper.
Actually, in my own defence, I run my own office and I'm known to be pretty mild mannered and accepting of all but fools
**Edit** As my dad would say, 'self praise is no recommendation'. Lol.

Last edited by coolangatta; 25 August 2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2008, 09:51 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

I thought that it was inexplicable that there is a Japanese - Disney theme park.

I mean, none of them are tall enough to go on any of the rides for a start!!
Old 25 August 2008, 10:40 PM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

Wife first thing in the morning
Old 26 August 2008, 11:13 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was first married back in 1967 my wife and I bought a new semi at Iflied Green Crawley = Old Manor Close.
Now apparently there were numerous stories of what originally was on this new development.
But 2 very distinct and inexplicable events took place in our new home.
The first was the complete destruction of a very heavy solid glass ornament- I mean complete destruction to particles the size of granulated sugar.It was if it had been subject to a 100 Tonne press.I had gone out side to get some welsh nuts boyo - stoking up the fire before going to bed . Then while outside I heard this really loud bang - When I returned to the lounge I could'nt believe it. Possibly temperature change caused it - but total destruction ?
The other event was more disturbing . As I recall bearing in mind its 40 years ago , I woke up and at the end of the bed is what I can only describe as the grim reaper.A hooded figure arms out stretched glaring at the pair of us .To this day it still sends a chill down my spine.
Now as a post script to this I did find out that the housing development was built on an old monastry . Whether this is relevant or not I don't know .
Old 26 August 2008, 11:37 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i got me **** handed to me on a plate by a stripped out Nova last summer...
that was pretty inexplicable!!!

later found out he was running a calibra turbo lump in it and silly BHP !!!