Are we proud of team GB

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2008, 12:25 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are we proud of team GB

I'm damn sure I am
Foofin great to see our countymen/women doing what it takes to be the best. Brilliant effort.
Bring it on in 2012.

You are true heroes
Old 24 August 2008, 12:33 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i think what they've achieved this year is great, we normally dont do very well and are a laughing stock.

Well done team GB
Old 24 August 2008, 12:43 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why is it called 'Team GB'? What about Northern Ireland, don't they count?

It should be Team UK But yep they did much better than expected.

I don't understand wht the other GB is there though. Given that the Olympic Flag is passed on to the Mayor of London, Boris needs to be involved but the squatter from number 10 isn't part of it in any way.
Old 24 August 2008, 01:02 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yess it's good to see them winning gold medals and up the top end of the medals table..Although i think this kind of winning has probably always been there with the Olympic UK/GB team,just never had the funding really.The determination has always been in them to train hard and do well..Maybe our so called world class footballers could take learn something from them,but i doubt.Probably too busy thinking about which sports car they are going to buy this weekend.IF the funding is kept available,then we should do just as well or better in 2012.
Old 24 August 2008, 01:08 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Why is it called 'Team GB'? What about Northern Ireland, don't they count?

It should be Team UK But yep they did much better than expected.

I don't understand wht the other GB is there though. Given that the Olympic Flag is passed on to the Mayor of London, Boris needs to be involved but the squatter from number 10 isn't part of it in any way.
I don't know about you UB, but my passport says United Kingdom 'of' Great Britain 'and' Northern Ireland. So GB is inclusive of NI!!

But as usual, there has to be negative feeling in the UK/GB regarding our success Tut, tut!

Last edited by coolangatta; 24 August 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 24 August 2008, 01:29 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
I don't know about you UB, but my passport says United Kingdom 'of' Great Britain 'and' Northern Ireland. So GB is inclusive of NI!!

But as usual, there has to be negative feeling in the UK/GB regarding our success Tut, tut!
Incorrect on both counts I'm afraid. Read what you wrote again - UK comprises of GB and NI. GB refers to England Scotland and Wales, hence the correct term should be Team UK. Nothing negative about that. It's just the facts.
Old 24 August 2008, 01:35 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Incorrect on both counts I'm afraid. Read what you wrote again - UK comprises of GB and NI. GB refers to England Scotland and Wales, hence the correct term should be Team UK. Nothing negative about that. It's just the facts.
I refer the gentleman to my previous answer 'GB and NI' together, inclusive, as one, the same and inseparable. Now let's celebrate 'our success shall we

From Wikipedia search of Great Britain; Since the union of 1707, the entire island has been one political unit, first as the Kingdom of Great Britain, later as part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and then as part of the present United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Last edited by coolangatta; 24 August 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 24 August 2008, 02:02 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Sorry, but UB is quite correct. You didn't do too well in your Geography classes I see?? I refer you to GREAT BRITAIN THE BRITISH ISLES THE UNITED KINGDOM BRITISH ISLANDS

"Great Britain is the largest island in Europe. "Great Britain" is the collective name for the three countries of England, Scotland and Wales. It also includes the small adjacent islands but it does not include the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man".

and "The United Kingdom is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The official name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" came into use in 1922 after the constitution of the Irish Free State (1922-1937), the former name of the Republic of Ireland".

Oh, and I am damn proud of the athletes and the medals they've won. 4th in the table but way down in terms of population!

Dave
Doesn't matter how hard you argue your case it's 'GB and NI'. NI does not stand alone does it So is part and parcel of Team GB. End of argument

P.S. Geography and boundaries based on sovereign 'claims' are somewhat different subjects. Ask the Georgians!

The above nit-picking and negativity is exactly what the brits are famous for!!! How sad...

Last edited by coolangatta; 24 August 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 24 August 2008, 04:29 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i think we've punched way above our weight and will struggle to match the medal tally in our own games.

still not too keen on ohyruguu or whatever her name is being the face of GB, she's as bad as chambers in my eyes, one got caught the other slipped the net.
just can't stand the **** kissing because she won a medal, if chambers had run 9.8's in his trials they would have bent over backwards to get him in.

can't fault a great achivement by the team though
Old 24 August 2008, 04:43 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A great achievement by the team, but I would not call them true heroes. Our real heroen are being blown apart everyday in afghanistan yet no one gives a **** about them.
Old 24 August 2008, 04:53 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
A great achievement by the team, but I would not call them true heroes. Our real heroen are being blown apart everyday in afghanistan yet no one gives a **** about them.
Another great sweep of the brush there....I actually do give a **** about them but this argument just does not fit with this scenario.

The Olympic team did us proud and can be described as heroes for excelling in what they have trained and focused on for years.

Our troops are heroes for exactly the same reason.

blubs
Old 25 August 2008, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blubs
Another great sweep of the brush there....I actually do give a **** about them but this argument just does not fit with this scenario.

The Olympic team did us proud and can be described as heroes for excelling in what they have trained and focused on for years.

Our troops are heroes for exactly the same reason.

blubs
Exactly.

Les
Old 25 August 2008, 02:55 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

The question was "Are we proud of team GB?"

The answer in my case is yes, plain and simple.

Why people feel the need to get the soapbox out for every bloody thread on here is beyond me
Old 25 August 2008, 02:59 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Well Done GB,

Really done better than anyone expected, hopefully there'll be some sprinters in the medals come 2012!
Old 25 August 2008, 03:07 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yes, but it would be nice for the Union Flag to incorporate the Welsh nation.
Old 25 August 2008, 03:32 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter how hard you argue your case it's 'GB and NI'. NI does not stand alone does it So is part and parcel of Team GB. End of argument
Not true, it's the X of Z and Y.

If we treat 'of' as equals and 'and' as a plus, which isn't unreasonable, then X = Z+Y. In other words if we want to talk about everyone we must talk of either X OR Z+Y. However, to speak of 'Z' or 'Y' independently does not equal X.

I don't know if Northern Ireland are part of the British team in the Olympics but if they are referring to them as 'Team GB' is quite wrong as they are 'Team United Kingdom' or 'Team GB and NI'.
Old 25 August 2008, 03:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

yes, i think that we did good.

I enjoyed watching the games itself.

Found the opening and closing ceremonies good but just too long

It was nice they trained the local prostitutes (in the red outfits) to play those silly drum for the closinging ceremony
Old 25 August 2008, 04:14 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'm really proud of all of them, they did a great job. I just watched them getting off their plane at Heathrow on TV, really cool to see how happy they all are - and rightly so.

Some guy in the street a TV reported interviewed made a good comment too, even someone who came 7th or 8th in an event but didn't get a medal - they're still 7th or 8th best in the world, and so should still be very proud.
Old 25 August 2008, 04:30 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

I'm proud of them, they did a good job but object to the word "heroes" being used by the media.

They won a medal, I know through hard work but they did not save someones life, or stopped other people dying by jumping on a live grenade! Thats a hero!

As for this talk about team Scotland, NI or Wales, as far as i'm concerened sod off and do it just make sure the English tax payer (IE: me) doesnt foot the bill for it.
Old 25 August 2008, 04:37 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Not true, it's the X of Z and Y.

If we treat 'of' as equals and 'and' as a plus, which isn't unreasonable, then X = Z+Y. In other words if we want to talk about everyone we must talk of either X OR Z+Y. However, to speak of 'Z' or 'Y' independently does not equal X.

I don't know if Northern Ireland are part of the British team in the Olympics but if they are referring to them as 'Team GB' is quite wrong as they are 'Team United Kingdom' or 'Team GB and NI'.
Wasting your breath. Just have to accept that some people are a bit 'durr....'

Anyway, whatever part of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland they come from it's good that there a now a fresh new generation of sporting role models. Naming no names, the old ones we had to rely on were looking a bit, well... past their shelf lives.

Last edited by unclebuck; 25 August 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 25 August 2008, 06:16 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed no one has mentioned that our national anthem should be changed to something other than God Save The Queen,as the topic has changed to whether it should be team GB/UK/GB N Ireland..Team UK isn't as catchy as team GB though is it.They did good thats what matters,and lets hope thaey can keep the funding up so it will help them to train for 2012.Although were already a hundred million short last i heard.OHHHHHHH Philippppp.