Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I-pod gayness

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2008, 05:16 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-pod gayness

I'm sure a few of you here have i-pods right?
Well I have an 80gb classic. I have 1009 songs on it. Had it since xmas and use it nearly every day in my car. I always use shuffle mode and I'm getting annoyed at how crap it is.
When I open itunes I can see how many times each song has been played. The most is 8 times, and 4 tracks have been played 8 times. However there are at least 100 tracks that have only been played once and around 200 tracks that have never been played at all.
I've been on the i-pod and manually selected some of the ones that have never been played and they work.
Soooo, is shuffle just duff? If it knows how many times each track has been played then why can't it keep things even???
I don't want to use normal mode as I will have to listen to the same band over and over.
Anyone else get the same on their i-pod?
Anything I can do to fix it?
Old 24 August 2008, 05:46 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Bin it and get something else, Archos, Cowon, I-River, there's loads of alternatives.
Old 24 August 2008, 05:47 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the songs are played in a truly random manner, then you may get a distribution similar to one you describe.
Same as if you had 365 people in a room.
They would not all have different birthdays, but would instead be in clusters.
Old 24 August 2008, 06:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you listen to it in your car, via an I pod sender or does your stereo have I pod connectivity ? I am fed up of cd's clogging up my car but I heard those I pod transmitters are crap
Old 24 August 2008, 06:09 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I have an FM transmitter and it is fine, never get any interference etc.
You can change the randomness of itunes too which should help.
Old 24 August 2008, 06:43 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I have a Creative Zen constantly on shuffle in the car and it does the same sort of thing. It will ALWAYS start with a song from the same album whenever I switch it on, and the random play usually throws up 3 or 4 songs from the same album with only one or two different tracks inbetween them. There are certain songs that I hear very often indeed, and others that I dont think I have every heard from it.

It has a feature to play the 20 least-played tracks, which will dig up the unplayed ones, but it needs to be reselected after every 20 tracks which is a hassle.

It has slightly over 3000 tracks stored on it.
Old 24 August 2008, 08:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
How do you listen to it in your car, via an I pod sender or does your stereo have I pod connectivity ? I am fed up of cd's clogging up my car but I heard those I pod transmitters are crap
They are. I bought a JVC head unit, with a lead that connects to my ipod. I have my ipod on me all the time now...think it's fantastic!
Old 24 August 2008, 08:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
They are. I bought a JVC head unit, with a lead that connects to my ipod. I have my ipod on me all the time now...think it's fantastic!

I have a Pioneer DEH-P800BT and it has a lead for the iPod. It is great as I can download podcasts (Stephen Fry, Geoff Lloyd etc..) and listen whenever I want.

It is also a pretty good Bluetooth set for my phone.

Steve
Old 24 August 2008, 08:37 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Mine is connected to my standard renault head unit via a renault tune point. It allows my to control the i-pod via the head unit and steering wheel controls.
Its fantastic actually
Old 24 August 2008, 08:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My iPhone does the same god knows why but only seems to count when I manually select the track
Old 24 August 2008, 08:51 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Don't forget, if there are songs you skip because you don't like to listen to them then they wont count as played.
Old 24 August 2008, 09:01 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Don't forget, if there are songs you skip because you don't like to listen to them then they wont count as played.
No need to worry about that. Only songs that I like make it onto the i-pod.
Old 25 August 2008, 10:20 AM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
I'm sure a few of you here have i-pods right?
Well I have an 80gb classic. I have 1009 songs on it. Had it since xmas and use it nearly every day in my car. I always use shuffle mode and I'm getting annoyed at how crap it is.
When I open itunes I can see how many times each song has been played. The most is 8 times, and 4 tracks have been played 8 times. However there are at least 100 tracks that have only been played once and around 200 tracks that have never been played at all.
I've been on the i-pod and manually selected some of the ones that have never been played and they work.
Soooo, is shuffle just duff? If it knows how many times each track has been played then why can't it keep things even???
I don't want to use normal mode as I will have to listen to the same band over and over.
Anyone else get the same on their i-pod?

i've got the same as you and get a pretty good even, random spread of music. check the shuffle sensitivity control in iTunes is set to neutral when you're docked. or just play around with it until you're getting an improved selection.
Old 25 August 2008, 10:23 AM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've adjusted that now Holy Ghost so hopefully it will improve

Cheers
Old 26 August 2008, 02:45 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

id love one but i cant be arsed with downloading all the tunes from internet would take ages, isnt there files available with hugs amounts of songs ie 80's etc etc. not worth me buyine one otherwise as id never download that many songs / albums
Old 26 August 2008, 02:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
id love one but i cant be arsed with downloading all the tunes from internet would take ages, isnt there files available with hugs amounts of songs ie 80's etc etc. not worth me buyine one otherwise as id never download that many songs / albums
Don't forget that you can use iTunes, or other software, to rip existing audio CD's to create mp3 files which you then put on to the iPod, so you're not limited to just downloading music from the internet.
Old 27 August 2008, 03:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

all my mp3s are on a DVD in my head unit and that plays randomly, when it gets board there is also a 6 disk MP3 changer in the boot, very soon to be accompanied by a 125gb usb hard drive