Fitting TV Bracket (small TV) to Plaster

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2008, 03:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting TV Bracket (small TV) to Plaster

Hello

How do I attach a TV Bracket to a plaster wall? The TV will be small (19") and probably using this (Argos) Bracket: Buy Step Up 32in Tilt Swivel Bracket. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Do I need special screws?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 26 August 2008, 03:12 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Try and get the top screws into the stud timber behind the plasterboard.

That'll take the majority of the weight and mean the other fix points can use plasterboard plugs.
Old 26 August 2008, 03:40 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

plastered wall (presumably block or brick) - rawlplugs and screws. i'd use 50mm screws in 6mm plugs if i were you (did that a couple of times at home), with a suitable number of fixings.

plasterboard wall (studwork) - find the studs/noggins and get as many of the fixings into the timber as possible. you can then use plasterboard fixings for the remaining anchor points. plasterboard fixings would probably do for the whole thing, but better safe than sorry. some people screw mdf or ply to the wall into the studs (run a router round the mdf and paint it the same colour as the wall) and screw directly into the mdf. i'd just screw into the studs if i were you

hth
Old 26 August 2008, 03:42 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

ps - i've used a bracket similar to the ross one on the same page. bought mine from a guy on ebay for about £15. i have two and they;ve been up for over 3yrs now without any probs...also seem them in currys for £30+
Old 26 August 2008, 10:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your advice.

I found the timber (I think!) and some big screws and it is fixed. I need to run the cables next.

Steve
Old 27 August 2008, 08:54 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

two choices for the cables to work with what you;ve already done -
1. holes in the wall (i'm assuming it's plasterboard) with single backboxes and blank plates over the top, but with suitable holes dirlled to get your cables through...you will hit at least one noggin running the cable from top to bottom within the wall, so you'll need to make a hole there to expose the noggin. drill a hole in the noggin and pass the cables through, then cover the hole with the plasterboard you cut out (or a new bit of need be) and fill the edges with plasterboard joint filler. you shold be able to completely lose the marks so you will never notice the cuts.

..or 2. just let your cables hang and get some of that cable tidy stuff (ikea, currys, maplin etc sell it) and wrap that around the cables. you'll still see them, but they'll be neat and tidy.