Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I really should not laugh, but Toyota Priuses are being burnt out in the US

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 01:54 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really should not laugh, but Toyota Priuses are being burnt out in the US

Given that most of us here own a performance car, I am sure we have at some point met someone who just "had to" tell us all about the environment and how we were the ones responsible for destroying it.

If that is all the abuse you have had, then you have done well. I for one got one of those "you're killing the planet" stickers glued right in the centre of the drivers side of my windscreen. Took nearly an hour to remove it before I could drive the car.

It seems the 4x4 owners in America have had enough of this, and have started to burnout the humble Toyota Prius on sight.

PistonHeads Headlines
Old 08 September 2008, 01:57 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

LOL.
Old 08 September 2008, 02:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol funny story but still not something I want to see make it over this side of the pond.
Old 08 September 2008, 02:04 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Well,what a shame.

Have to say though ,countries leaders have done a good job of suckering people on the green front up to a point.

Seems that point is when people run out of money to pay green taxes and go a bit mental.Bit like the UK will be next year when the country grinds to a halt.
Old 08 September 2008, 02:15 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Environmentalists will probably be up in arms about the damage to the atmosphere from the burning tyres

Missing the point off how unfriendly the whole manufacturing process is for these hybrid cars in the first place
Old 08 September 2008, 02:54 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

These crazy kids.

i personally think the idea of it all is quite funny, but stil don't agree with the damage done to vehicles after being a victim
Old 08 September 2008, 03:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Handing a leaflet to you, or popping it under your windscreen is one thing, adhering something to your car is essentially vandalism in my eyes, and if I found out who had done this I would take action against them. You can bet that if someone put a sticker on a Prius that those responsible would be hunted down and punished for their actions.

Torching a car is a rather extreme reaction, a sticker on the car would have been better.

If I recall correctly, isn't the dust to dust cost of a Prius higher than even a modest "evil" petrol/diesel car, mainly, I think, due to the batteries?

Why is the Prius popular, well, it makes people think they are doing something for the planet, and some can feel nice and smug about it.

I do think we need to look at alternatives to petrol/diesel powered cars, mainly as we're at the mercy of the oil companies, but I wouldn't get one just to be "green" and smug.

Last edited by Markus; 08 September 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 04:26 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

There are LOADS of Prii (<----plural ) in California, the Yanks appear to have been completely brainwashed by the advertising hype and haven't actually sat down and read the facts.

Bloody things, I hate them.

Prii that is, not Americans

Although...
Old 08 September 2008, 06:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
There are LOADS of Prii (<----plural ) in California, the Yanks appear to have been completely brainwashed by the advertising hype and haven't actually sat down and read the facts.

Although...

I am liking that post
Old 08 September 2008, 06:25 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

The nickel mine that they use has a massive environmental impact, as does shipping the nickel half way round the world to be turned in batteries, then they batteries shipped all the way back to the US to build the cars.

Did you see Tiff on Fifth gear, trying to get maximum mileage out of one, turn off aircon, nothing over 45 MPH, force it into electric only mode, managed to get about 60 mpg, how the **** some drivers get 100+ mpg I dread to think

The whole hybrid vehicle idea is great, but the technology isn't there yet. Massive marketing ploy by Toyota/Lexus, and a necessary evil to sell cars in California. If you're that worried, use public transport, two wheels of any kind, Shanks's pony, or buy a frugal diesel.
Old 08 September 2008, 06:26 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Poetic justice, it never arrives late..........
Old 08 September 2008, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love how direct that is, annoy the V8 enthusiast with stickers, leaflets and general wetness and they just torch your sandal wagon.

"You are killing the planet"

Because my car doesn't do 35 to the gallon like a Prius, it does my head in, big business, meat farming, trucks, volcanos etc etc and they pick fights with someone who drives a cr that isnt that good on fuel, even if it isnt, it pales into insignificance compared to all the other factors, especially if like me you do very little mileage, recycle and think about energy usage, those who preach probably arent that "Green" anyway.
Old 08 September 2008, 11:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Nervously sticks head above parapet...

Originally Posted by **************
I saw the episode on TG the other day where they reviewed it and absolutely slated it, not because of its environmental status but because it is a truely shocking car to drive and less economical than a diesel.
If you are told to drive any* car as fast as you possibly can around a track, you are not going to get optimal MPG. Meanwhile the diesel BMW can slipstream and use gentler acceleration and braking for better economy. Jezza made a very important point at the end of that article - "it's not what you drive but how you drive it"!!

* Except, maybe, for a G-Whizz, where you would probably snap off the accelerator if you pressed too hard

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Missing the point off how unfriendly the whole manufacturing process is for these hybrid cars in the first place
Do you have any specific examples to explain "unfriendly"?

Originally Posted by Markus
If I recall correctly, isn't the dust to dust cost of a Prius higher than even a modest "evil" petrol/diesel car, mainly, I think, due to the batteries?
Or even, allegedly, worse than a HUMMER

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
The nickel mine that they use has a massive environmental impact
HAD a massive impact, tens of years ago. It has now won several environmental awards, much to the embarrassment of the Mail on Sunday!

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
Did you see Tiff on Fifth gear, trying to get maximum mileage out of one, turn off aircon, nothing over 45 MPH, force it into electric only mode, managed to get about 60 mpg, how the **** some drivers get 100+ mpg I dread to think
I am surprised about this, as you get excellent MPG if you drive at those sorts of speeds. I can average 55mpg+ on a motorway assuming fairly constant "outside lane" speeds with the aircon switched on. With mixed driving it is more like 45mpg, but i do tend to chuck the car around (and yes, it does handle surprisingly well).

The 100mpg+ (which you can't measure via the in-car computer) was done by someone in Japan who kept trying to improve things on the way into work. However, this was never going above 30mph, and using costing (neutral) and regeneration (engine braking) to optimise things - not something i would recommend on UK roads!

Don't knock it until you have tried it

mb
Old 08 September 2008, 11:16 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I'll shut up then, as I have no intention of trying a Pious (sic). If I was to need to massively increase my mileage, I'd buy a diesel. I do about 55-60 miles a week, a tank full lasts over two weeks, plus I do about 2,500 on holidays to France where my consumption is significantly better, at about 300-330 to a tankful. If I wanted to be seen to be green, I'd get a Smart, possibly an all electric one, or an electric scooter, or just get the bus to work which is about 80% of my mileage.
Old 08 September 2008, 11:30 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

And after some people sticking up for them....

The are going to have to be scrapped in a "green" manner....

Are you SURE that Honda isn't burning them out to save money ?

LOL

DunxC
Old 09 September 2008, 12:13 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You can't buy Diesel cars in California so a Prius is the next best thing. I've used both a Prius and a Civic hybrid in the US and got good mileage from both.

Originally Posted by Scoobychick

Although...
Old 09 September 2008, 08:28 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I wonder if there's room for a nice, big V8 in there if you took out all the batteries, motors and other crap?

Seriously, though, much as a I hate the Prius for being nothing more than a political fashion statement, I do like one of Toyota's other products: the RX300h hybrid SUV.

Here's a car which actually takes advantage of the fact that SUVs are big and heavy to begin with - the batteries and motors just don't account for nearly such a big proportion of the bulk of the car. It can do everything that any other SUV can do, yet returns 35mpg, the same as many ordinary family cars.

They've got a hybrid GS series saloon as well IIRC.
Old 09 September 2008, 08:43 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

"To compare, the Toyota Prius involves $3.25 per mile in energy costs over its lifetime, according to CNW, while several full-size SUVs scored lower. A Dodge Viper involves only $2.18 in energy per mile over its lifetime. The Range Rover Sport costs $2.42, and the Cadillac Escalade costs $2.75. "

So there you go, get a Viper!

Geezer
Old 09 September 2008, 08:54 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I do like one of Toyota's other products: the RX300h hybrid SUV.

Here's a car which actually takes advantage of the fact that SUVs are big and heavy to begin with - the batteries and motors just don't account for nearly such a big proportion of the bulk of the car. It can do everything that any other SUV can do, yet returns 35mpg, the same as many ordinary family cars.

They've got a hybrid GS series saloon as well IIRC.
It just really does not matter though.Most people haven't got the first clue about cars/emissions/what four wheel drive means.

They see that Lexus they will just say 'Oh ,Chelsea Tractor'

People have been brainwashed on the 4x4 front.If it looks big,its nasty for the trees.

You will never win with the green loonies.They haven't got the first idea and will only be happy when we live in a mud hut community.Eco prats
Old 09 September 2008, 02:00 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Dunno about the trees but if I see a 4x4, **** the trees. I can't see through the ruddy things. I'd rather follow a FIAT 500 @ 25mph than put up with the lack of visibility you get from following a 4x4.

...And if you drop back to be able to see, some other joker pulls into the gap! Then they realise that they can't see and drop back etc....

4x4s for all or 4x4s for none is the answer.

J.
Old 09 September 2008, 02:14 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Yes but I feel about every single white van on the road re visibility.I would say they outweigh 4x4's 10-1

Same with lorries.In fact we could go on forever!
Old 09 September 2008, 02:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

somebody once told me that if we all drove one of them, the planet would be in worse shape then it is now LOL