Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Named Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 08:41 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Named Drivers

My son is a named driver on one of my insurance policies and as it is his car he is down as the main user even though I am the poicy holder. A couple of weeks ago he was involved in a bump and the car has now gone in for repair.
A courtesy car has been supplied but we are unsure if he is allowed to drive it as the certificate says,

"Any car supplied to the policy holder under an agreement between the insurer and a recommended repairer whilst the policy holders own car is being repaired following a claim under the policy"

I did ask the garage if he was covered to drive and they said yes and took a copy of his and my licence, but I have only now read the above and I can tell you he is not a happy bunny at this present time.
Old 08 September 2008, 09:18 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

No he isn't allowed to drive the car and you guys ought to be careful as technically, you've obtained the insurance through fraud.

Although lots of people do it, to insure what is your vehicle in someone else's name (even if your son is listed as the main driver) is to dupe the insurance company into providing you with a quote that you perhaps (probably) wouldn't have got if it was insured in your son's name.

If the insurance company find out then they can invalidate the insurance policy and refuse to pay out on the claim.
Old 08 September 2008, 09:29 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Ok then the car will be his when he finishes paying me off i`m the registered keeper until he does, but the insurance company recomended him go as the main driver as I did say he will use it more than myself. They even gave him a massive excess as he is a young driver, and myself a small one.

Last edited by All Torque; 08 September 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 09:47 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mmm. difficult one .. I would call them up and confirm either way .. you dont want him getting points for driving without.
Old 09 September 2008, 09:20 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

You are the policy holder
You are the registered V5 keeper
He is the main driver

He as far as im aware cannot drive any other vehicle as he does not have his own insurance policy. This would include courtesy cars.
Old 09 September 2008, 09:42 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I didn't know you could even do that.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:03 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
You are the policy holder
You are the registered V5 keeper
He is the main driver

He as far as im aware cannot drive any other vehicle as he does not have his own insurance policy. This would include courtesy cars.
I'd agree 100% with this.... it's cover extended to the policy holder, to drive courtesy cars, not to any of the named drivers.
Old 09 September 2008, 12:04 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
No he isn't allowed to drive the car and you guys ought to be careful as technically, you've obtained the insurance through fraud.

Although lots of people do it, to insure what is your vehicle in someone else's name (even if your son is listed as the main driver) is to dupe the insurance company into providing you with a quote that you perhaps (probably) wouldn't have got if it was insured in your son's name.

If the insurance company find out then they can invalidate the insurance policy and refuse to pay out on the claim.
That's the whole point of the "main driver" clause. They are being totally honest with the insurance if they have declared this. I used to do this with my dad as i couldnt get finance in my name so the car was in his name, but I was listed as Main driver. It's very difficult to insure a car you arent registered keeper for, so that isn't really an option.
Old 09 September 2008, 08:19 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Spoke to various people all from India and even though the policy states what i`ve quoted they insisted I check with the repairing garage. They have 110% confirmed he is covered to drive their courtesy car as it is they who are insuring me/us. Their cover on the car will mirror my own policy and it`s not even a case that he has to be over 21 either. But I can tell you one thing for sure he is on his own next renewal.
One thing I have noticed though is that the car is not showing as insured on Askmid
Old 09 September 2008, 09:48 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
That's the whole point of the "main driver" clause. They are being totally honest with the insurance if they have declared this. I used to do this with my dad as i couldnt get finance in my name so the car was in his name, but I was listed as Main driver. It's very difficult to insure a car you arent registered keeper for, so that isn't really an option.
Actually, it's very easy to insure a car that isn't registered in your name - and it is very prominent that people insure it in anothers name to get a lower quote. In this case, given that the OP is the registered keeper, it's not a problem.

I've both prosecuted and defended many people who've done this to get out of paying the 'real' premium, though to be fair most people don't know that it's a criminal offence to do this.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:18 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
One thing I have noticed though is that the car is not showing as insured on Askmid
Chances are it wont show on askmid because its on a trade policy covering a multitude of cars. This does however present its own risk, in that the chances of being stopped are increased if spotted by an ANPR unit. Check again that he really is insured, the 6 points he will get if he is not will be on his license for years.