Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AHHHhhhhh! Hit and run...what can I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 06:00 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AHHHhhhhh! Hit and run...what can I do now?

I'm curious... so thought I would put this out there...

At Homebase this evening. A car pulls in to the space next to me badly... tries to correct and hits my car... two young girls get out of the car and swagger towards homebase and do not stop and pretend not to hear me when I try to say they hit my car (my car is only a week old and they put a noticeable dent in it!!)...
My kid is in the back, asking what is going on... I decide not to up the ante and start a shouting match across the car park or put my foot through their car door in retaliation...

I took there license plate number, make, model, took a few photos quickly...

I could pass the details onto my insurance, but I have had two non fault claims... one more... even if it again is not my fault, and I lose my protected no claims... it is such a awful system... it just makes me really cross!! It's like my hands are tied...

What else can I do...??

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated
Old 09 September 2008, 06:02 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Police !!!
Old 09 September 2008, 06:03 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Let it be a lesson learned, never park near a woman
Old 09 September 2008, 06:03 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Police !!!
Exactly. Seriously man you just took a pic and drove away? I'd have been there with the Police when they came out.

5t.
Old 09 September 2008, 06:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Police !!!
I doubt they'll be interested mate.

Perhaps one course of action might be to contact the DVLA with the reg and say the occupants of the car left the scene of an accident without giving their insurance details and request a contact address.

Ns04
Old 09 September 2008, 06:06 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I doubt they'll be interested mate.

Perhaps one course of action might be to contact the DVLA with the reg and say the occupants of the car left the scene of an accident without giving their insurance details and request a contact address.

Ns04
When they hit your car you saw what you think was a gun in the back seat.
Old 09 September 2008, 06:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Bloody hell man, are you telling me they put a dent in your car, then 'swaggered' off and you never got a decent picture of the girls
Old 09 September 2008, 06:27 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Birds or not I would have kicked them so hard in the flaps they would have looked like they were wearing dear stalkers.
Old 09 September 2008, 06:37 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't belive you just let them walk off without running after them?
did you just take a pic and drive off? they could say they were already parked there and you parked afterwards and are trying it on?

you might end up forking out for dentmaster out of your own pocket for your repair (£50ish)
Old 09 September 2008, 06:42 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Are you a mouse?

I would have took it up with them,there and then.
Old 09 September 2008, 07:00 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

You can hardly goto the Police after caving thier door in!!!

Similar thing happened to me on Saturday, I was in a hire car when a women in a car pulled along side me (with hardly any space to open her door), the woman driver opened her door into my hire car and did not even flinch, and walked off

Looking at her door you could see that it was chipped all the way up where she had prev hit other peoples pride and joy.

I went for my shopping, and when I got back the car was still there, lets just say I got my own back.
Old 09 September 2008, 07:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Firstly you have 2 non fault claims against you? are they settled and was it in your favour, the reason for asking I have never heard of any insurer holding non fault claims against the driver UNLESS they didn't get paid out then they become fault claims {obviously} so I would firstly check that out {unless they are not settled yet}
Secondly if you have the registration, photo's etc you can report them to the police for leaving the scence of an accident AFAIK, your insurer will be able to advise you of the according proccess

either way good luck with sorting it out and unless you want to let it go and sort out the dent yourself the insurer is the only other way tought choice but I would get a quote first ;just in case.
Old 09 September 2008, 07:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Should have parked behind to facilliate no escape and then taken some serious bribery/collateral
Old 09 September 2008, 07:12 PM
Scoobydavis
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dpb
Should have parked behind to facilliate no escape and then taken some serious bribery/collateral
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal for somebody to knowingly cause damage to a car and just walk off? You should of got the police involved and if that failed followed them home and give them an almighty beating.

Lol, on a serious note your insurance company should not hold it against you if it is not your fault, no matter how many times it happens.

I've only had my Scooby 10 days and some retard reversed into it whilst I was at work and just drove off leaving me needing a new bumper and bonnett costing me an excess of £400, It really f**ks me off to think some people just damage someone elses property and do not have the decency to come forward.

Anyway rant over !! From this day on I'm parking miles from any other car.
Old 09 September 2008, 09:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Stop the crazy talk !

Most people theses days would expect to turn and walk away.

You and I may be enthusiasts, to some it's just a washing machine with bigger wheels, and they don't give a f*ck !

IMHO

DunxC
Old 09 September 2008, 09:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Two girls wouldn't be swaggering away from me if they dented my door and then pretended to ignore me! I'd just forget the incident and take it as a lesson the next time you're treated as a doormat.
Old 09 September 2008, 10:36 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magepaster
Birds or not I would have kicked them so hard in the flaps they would have looked like they were wearing dear stalkers.

PMSL
Old 09 September 2008, 10:44 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

here thats leaving the scene of an accident. thats a serious offence wether its a ding in a car park or a smash into a car parked in the street or worse. i had my bonnet jumped on and got a police report but it wasnt worth my excess and as i had no evidence or clue of who it was the police couldnt do anything
Old 09 September 2008, 11:39 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

You can hardly goto the Police after caving thier door in!!!
Read it again Gazza, he decided not to cave their door in.

Agree with the above posters though, just go down the local nick and report it. Despite what the daily mail readers on here say, they will do something about it. Your insurance company will want a crime number anyway to pursue it.

You just need to weigh up the cost of the repair against the cost of your insurance excess.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:00 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I had protected no claims on my last car in England, it was hit in a car park and the rear bumper was cracked, I reported it to my insurance company who fixed it for, when I got my no claims certificate off them when I moved to Germany it said that I had had a claim and it did effect my no claims bonus inspite of me haveing protected no claims. Insurance companies are all robbin bstards.
Old 10 September 2008, 11:17 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

some hidous fat woman clipped the back of my car last yr- couldn't be bothered waiting for me to pull out of a junction so she mounted the pavement trying to pull round

I blocked her crappy 4 x 4- got all her details.

rang her up- asked her if she wanted me to claim etc etc- said she'd rather do cash. took £300 off her- sorted.

why the **** would you let them walk off? you should have blocked their car in- rang police.
Old 10 September 2008, 12:04 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If the OP had kids in the car, its understandable he didn't want to kick off in the car park. The most sensible thing to do would've been to stick the boot into every panel on the bitch's car.
Old 10 September 2008, 12:13 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Firstly you have 2 non fault claims against you? are they settled and was it in your favour, the reason for asking I have never heard of any insurer holding non fault claims against the driver UNLESS they didn't get paid out then they become fault claims {obviously} so I would firstly check that out {unless they are not settled yet}
Secondly if you have the registration, photo's etc you can report them to the police for leaving the scence of an accident AFAIK, your insurer will be able to advise you of the according proccess

either way good luck with sorting it out and unless you want to let it go and sort out the dent yourself the insurer is the only other way tought choice but I would get a quote first ;just in case.

non fault claims don't affect your no claims but they do increase the initial price before the discount is applied. Its wrong but does happen, I've just had this with a van, witness to the accident tried to stop the driver and took all the details and left us her details etc. tried to report it to the police wouldn't let me report it as the vans owner, had to be the driver. Driver went in can't report it without seeing your insurance and MOT. Fax copy won't do yet has to be reported within 24 hours. Total bull in the end just left it to our insurers to pursue but even then it depends on the other party being insured. And they wonder why people take the law into their own hands
Old 10 September 2008, 12:25 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by al4x1
non fault claims don't affect your no claims but they do increase the initial price before the discount is applied. Its wrong but does happen, I've just had this with a van, witness to the accident tried to stop the driver and took all the details and left us her details etc. tried to report it to the police wouldn't let me report it as the vans owner, had to be the driver. Driver went in can't report it without seeing your insurance and MOT. Fax copy won't do yet has to be reported within 24 hours. Total bull in the end just left it to our insurers to pursue but even then it depends on the other party being insured. And they wonder why people take the law into their own hands
Talking from a personal incident in Jan non fault, renewed in May still ongoing, treated as fault claim until paid out, eventually paid out in August, excess repaid, fault reduced to non fault and policy rate amended to what it should have been before the accident. It may be down to the insurer I am with Aplan.
The police usually do not want to get involved, I call ed them on the one in Jan and told them I didn't feel safe in the location I was in and the driver was not going to give me his details, although the reg is usually enough for the insurers, they did attend 2 cars LOL and go tme the details

It is sometimes better to let the people you pay for sort it out.

Old 10 September 2008, 01:14 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies... my excess is probably in excess of the damage done... there is no damage to the paint so it could probably be put right with PDR at little cost and hassle.

Goodness I hate insurance companies. My last non fault claims were child's play... it still took ages to sort out both of them and I still had to pay out and months and months later get paid back. I'll check my insurance details again for peace of mind... but they all seem to penalize you even for non fault claims... esure won't insure me even thought I have never had an accident, have no points on my license etc etc..... because someone opened their car door into me HARD, and truck hit me side on when I was parked... insurance companies = b**tards...

Thanks
Old 10 September 2008, 01:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Stop the crazy talk !

Most people theses days would expect to turn and walk away.

You and I may be enthusiasts, to some it's just a washing machine with bigger wheels, and they don't give a f*ck !

IMHO

DunxC
What kind of an excuse is that when it comes to damaging someone's property by your carelessness?

Les