Smokers to get bigger pensions

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 02:58 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokers to get bigger pensions

WTF?

Smokers to get bigger pensions (From York Press)
Old 24 September 2008, 03:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It says that because smokers and single people are not expected to live as long to enjoy their pension, they should get bigger payments.
^

IMO anyone in right state of mind will agree with below>

York GP Dr John Iredale, from Copmanthorpe and Bishopthorpe surgeries, said today he was “gobsmacked” by the new policy on smokers.

He said: “My gut reaction is that it seems rather bizarre. It goes against everything we are trying to do in persuading people not to smoke and live a longer and more fulfilled life.

“It appears to be giving people a financial reward for smoking and that does not make sense.

“I’m gobsmacked that Norwich Union is taking that approach. To me, it seems to be a perverse incentive for people to smoke and I don’t think any doctor would support that.”

Dr David Fair, of the Jorvik Medical Practice, in York, said: “If you start playing that game, then where do you stop? Do people who play dangerous sports and eat at McDonalds get bigger pensions too?
Very bizarre, indeed.
Old 24 September 2008, 03:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have bizarrer idea! As their long term strategic plan , what if they start giving every ex-smoker, young or old (they can find quite a few of them on their database) some money for nothing, they will start buying **** again to smoke them, and croak it even sooner before they can claim their pension. They will save even more!

Christ, NU have gone crazy! :freak:
Old 24 September 2008, 03:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Bee, East of York says...
11:24am Wed 24 Sep 08

Man with a view wrote:
What an absolute disgrace - this is surely discriminatory

On the contrary surely before it was discriminatry to smokers who will not (on average) live as long and were missing out on years of annuity payments?

This lifestyle system seems to be "fairer" to everyone.

Is it discriminatory to drivers of Subaru Imprezas to make them pay more for car insurance?
Hmmm! anyone from her per chance
Old 24 September 2008, 03:45 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Hmmm! anyone from her per chance
I did wonder!
Old 24 September 2008, 04:31 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

This isn't new - smokers have had preferential annuity rates for years (as would most people with health issues because of life expectancy).

It's just annoying that they get a bigger pension despite doing less work over their working life cos they're always nipping out for *** breaks
Old 24 September 2008, 04:53 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparantly smoking will only get you a 1-5% increase in your pension.....It's going to depend far more on your full postcode.

Those who live in East Glasgow are in for a windfall LOL

Shaun
Old 24 September 2008, 05:38 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

We pay more tax so it's only fair
Old 24 September 2008, 06:41 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
This isn't new - smokers have had preferential annuity rates for years (as would most people with health issues because of life expectancy).

It's just annoying that they get a bigger pension despite doing less work over their working life cos they're always nipping out for *** breaks
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I smoke, but only get the same entitlement to breaks as everyone else working the same hours as me, no 'extra' little breaks allowed. In fact, I actually end up taking less in breaks than the non-smokers, as all I do in my 15 minute breaks, is nip out for a smoke, then back to work, whilst those who don't smoke go down to the canteen and take their full time, which is fair enough.

I'm not saying some places don't allow people to take more breaks, but I'd bet that quite often, it equates to the same time as non-smokers, if all they are doing is nipping out for a smoke.

Oh and Claire, good point.
Old 24 September 2008, 08:25 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I don't see the issue myself; we're merely talking about a financial product.

i.e. you invest through your working life into a fund which is invested on your behalf. When you retire you purchase an annuity with that money - the amount you get each year being based on an estimate of your expected lifespan. Why should a group of people who are estimated to live 10 years not get more per year than a group estimated to live another 20 years? The latter group aren't worse off as they're being paid over twice as long.

This is nothing to do with tax, government, social thinking etc, it's merely paying your investment back to you over and an expected period of payout. Sounds much fairer than everyone gets the same to me (I don't smoke and live in a posh post code if it helps!).

Gordo
Old 24 September 2008, 09:02 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

All these 'offers' that are coming up recently......

Again, you have to wonder if there is a vote buying strategy for a up coming election?
Old 24 September 2008, 09:10 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Woohoo, more money for **** when I'm old!
Old 24 September 2008, 09:45 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
All these 'offers' that are coming up recently......

Again, you have to wonder if there is a vote buying strategy for a up coming election?
Errrr - it's nothing to do with the government. Unless they own Norwich Union now and I missed it!
Old 24 September 2008, 09:47 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Errrr - it's nothing to do with the government. Unless they own Norwich Union now and I missed it!

Note to self, click linky in 1st post next time.

Sorry, as you were lads....
Old 25 September 2008, 11:34 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
We pay more tax so it's only fair
How do you work that out? Because of the amount of tax you pay on ciggies? It's like saying I pay more tax because I earn more, or drive more (or even drink more ).

Lisawrx - it was a seeping statement and there's been loads of threads on smoking at work - I hadn't intended to create an argument, it's just a feeling which all the non-smokers have at our office when you see the same people going out for a 10 minute *** break every hour of the day.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:39 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Why this even gets metioned is beyond me.

Annuity providers have taken into account whether someone smokes for years. Its hardly new.

Women get slightly less than men because they live longer.

Men tend to be cheaper to insure because although women last longer they are more likely to go wrong.

None of this is new.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:45 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

finally what i've been waiting for

wiley
Old 25 September 2008, 12:48 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Yeh but what they might give you in pension payments, they take off you in life insurance premiums so on the whole it probably doesn't make that much difference.
Old 25 September 2008, 01:05 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

Annuity providers have taken into account whether someone smokes for years. Its hardly new.
My point exactly.
Old 25 September 2008, 02:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by EddScott
although women last longer they are more likely to go wrong.
LOL

funniest thing I have read in a long time
Old 26 September 2008, 08:46 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I smoke, but only get the same entitlement to breaks as everyone else working the same hours as me, no 'extra' little breaks allowed. In fact, I actually end up taking less in breaks than the non-smokers, as all I do in my 15 minute breaks, is nip out for a smoke, then back to work, whilst those who don't smoke go down to the canteen and take their full time, which is fair enough.

I'm not saying some places don't allow people to take more breaks, but I'd bet that quite often, it equates to the same time as non-smokers, if all they are doing is nipping out for a smoke.

Oh and Claire, good point.
I haven't worked anywhere that allowed breaks at all for the last 10-12 years. Unless you smoke.
Old 26 September 2008, 08:48 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
LOL

funniest thing I have read in a long time
so why bother rwading then?

it isn't new any more than yesterdays 'councils face fines for landfill' shocker, which has been goinf on for years and is the reason behind kerbside recycling. Just because it isn't new doesn't mean everyone knows about it, hence previous replies.
Old 26 September 2008, 11:34 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwhittle
I haven't worked anywhere that allowed breaks at all for the last 10-12 years. Unless you smoke.
Well, so far as I'm aware if you work over a certain amount of hours, by law you are entitled to breaks, applicable to the hours you do work. If you haven't been allowed breaks (smokers aside), you either don't work long enough to be entitled to them, or the company is breaking the law. Or you could be meaning you only get a dinner break and no more. This will vary company to company. If that is the case, you may want to raise that issue with your employers. I don't know what you do, or what exactly you mean, so can't really comment back.

I don't doubt there are work places where breaks are abused by smokers, but I was giving a personal account of what my workplace allows, based upon a bit of a sweeping statement.

All I can say, is within my job, I in fact take less 'timeout' than non smokers, from our entitlement. I'm not complaining, it's my choice, so all is well. I just tried to give a different account of what my situation is, against the common perception that smokers always get more breaks. It may be the case in some places, but not always.