muscle products

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 05:39 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default muscle products

hi all,

recently started the gym again so im after some info on products.. i was wondering whats best for giving your muscles the more pumped up look.(not steroids) obviously while at the gym using weights your muscles look bigger but i want to keep that look. ive been told that creatine is good but ive had a look and theres all different types

anyone help
Old 24 September 2008, 05:43 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitric Oxide products are suggested to give you the 'pump', as is creatine. I use Creatine Ethyl Ester as opposed to Monohydrate and it gives you good endurance in the gym.
Old 24 September 2008, 05:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

What about the so-called fat burners ?? Do they work ?? If so what ones ??
Old 24 September 2008, 05:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by powerwrx
hi all,

recently started the gym again so im after some info on products.. i was wondering whats best for giving your muscles the more pumped up look.(not steroids) obviously while at the gym using weights your muscles look bigger but i want to keep that look. ive been told that creatine is good but ive had a look and theres all different types

anyone help
It does to a limited extent, but the extra bulk is really just extra water retention in the muscles. It won't turn you into the hulk! The real reason to take creatine is to accelerate strength gains and facilitate recovery. The boring answer is that there is no quick fix, you can't retain the pumped look you get at the gym when using the muscles all the time, as you have to allow them to rest and repair. This is the mechanism by which they grow.

I was reccommended to these folks by Teboy on here and I've found their products to be excellent.

Multipower

Whatever you do, just don't expect changes to happen quickly though; they don't!

Ns04
Old 24 September 2008, 05:48 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Nitric Oxide products are suggested to give you the 'pump', as is creatine. I use Creatine Ethyl Ester as opposed to Monohydrate and it gives you good endurance in the gym.
is it good for muscle mass or just endurance really
Old 24 September 2008, 05:50 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It does to a limited extent, but the extra bulk is really just extra water retention in the muscles. It won't turn you into the hulk! The real reason to take creatine is to accelerate strength gains and facilitate recovery. The boring answer is that there is no quick fix, you can't retain the pumped look you get at the gym when using the muscles all the time, as you have to allow them to rest and repair. This is the mechanism by which they grow.

I was reccommended to these folks by Teboy on here and I've found their products to be excellent.

Multipower

Whatever you do, just don't expect changes to happen quickly though; they don't!

Ns04
thanks mate, like youve said im not expecting to turn in arnie over night i know its going to take time and effort to see changes.

ill take a look at the link you gave
Old 24 September 2008, 06:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

That Multipower seems quite expensive.

I use My Protein for all my stuff and the quality is excellent, the price is good and it's definately a 'no frills' brand.

They put the money into the development of the products so cut down on the fancy packaging.

Impact whey protein - Protein powders | myprotein.co.uk

I usually add just a teaspoon of milkshake mix to the powder for flavouring and as it's a flavour free whey, you can add it to your breakfast cereal, cooking etc...
Old 24 September 2008, 07:07 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

The really simple answer is. FOOD! If you want to get big. Train hard and eat clean and you will get bigger. 6 meals a day with a hi proteen content is the normal route. You can take as many supps and pills as you like if your diet and training is wrong you will not see the maximum results. go to MuscleTalk Bodybuilding Forum it's a great site with loads of helpful info and everyone i've talked to on there is very helpful.
Old 24 September 2008, 08:35 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

is it good for muscle mass or just endurance really
Sorry mate, it floods the muscle fibres with water, and gives the muscle the look of being larger. This is not for keeps, as you will find out when you go off it for a few weeks (As I am now). What you will find is slightly more strength, and better endurance in the gym, as well as(and most importantly) good recovery, where your body does all its growing. Dont forget to get the water on if you are going down the Creatine route. As was stated before, its more about good form, good rest, and good food.
Old 24 September 2008, 09:10 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default Products

Healthy balance diet is the best, for the lng term.
Old 24 September 2008, 09:25 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

1 word .....protein

i started gym a couple of months ago
i eat lots of tuna ,chicken ,beef,turkey, cottage cheese and egg whites ,brown bread ect

and im also having 2 protein shakes of phd fitness synergy iso 7
Old 24 September 2008, 09:53 PM
s1lko
Scooby Regular

The type of products you'll need will depend on what you want to achieve. Are you slim framed and looking to bulk up, or are you looking to combine fat loss with muscle gains?

One very good place to start for cheap supplements, whey protein and creatine is http://www.myprotein.com/.

I used a combination of Thermopure (just as good as Maximuscle Thermobol or Hydroxycut Hardcore) and Sesamin to shift the jiggley bits.

Yes, protein is the 'whey' forward (sorry). But stick to good quality whey proteins, with little or no added extras. The hours after your workout are the critical time to take on protein for growth, when the muscle is repairing itself. I like to use a caseinate just before going to bed. It's a slower release, so gives the muscles a good drip feed through the night.

I usually have three protein shakes a day, containing finely ground oats (slow, release complex carb to keep hunger at bay) and skimmed milk in the morning and afternoon. Post workout, it's just the whey protein and milk. Then, as mentioned before, a slower release protein last thing).

Chicken, tuna, etc. Thankfully, a lot of the best protein sources are also relatively fat free if you try hard enough.

If you're looking to lose weight as well (not easy if you're also trying to 'feed' the muscle), concentrate on the quality of what you eat. Look to have 6 small meals a day (protein shake with oats counts!). That way your metabolism will be fired regularly - perfect for buring calories. Also, wherever possible, avoid carbs after 6-7pm) And drink water, water and more water.

Don't be afraid of eating fats, our bodies require EFAs (essential fatty acids), just stick to the 'good' ones, such as those found in nuts (another good source of protein - handy for late evening hunger pangs). I tend to have a small amount of cheese too, just to top up the calcium.

If you are counting the calories, it's probably worth investing in a non hormonal anabolic supplement to prevent your body from breaking down the muscle for fuel when you're working out.

I'll stop there, otherwise I'll be here all day...
Old 24 September 2008, 09:56 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

im slim framed (11 stone)looking to bulk up
Old 24 September 2008, 11:50 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Righto - in a word train your **** off and eat loads of protein.

If you are naturally slim then just pile it in but eat clean.

Without going on all day i'll make a short list.

Train 2-3 times a week at most, loads of people overtrain and its easy done.

Train each bodypart no more than once per week.

Once you've warmed up train with absolute intensity, no f**king about chatting to mates, train like a mad man, 50 minutes to an hour at the most in the gym - keep upmost focus, i think 30 minutes beforehand what i'm going to lift and how i'm gonna push myself, once i step in that gym i'm away!

Eat 5-6 small meals a day but with protein in each meal.

Supplements are just what they say, supplements. there are no magic potions out there, but dont buy crap. creatine is good and people swear by it, but for me it just made me wee a lot.

get a good protein, CNP are a brilliant make and after speaking to Kerry Kays who used to be Ricky Hattons nutrition and strength coach and who owns CNP i genuinly believe it is one of the best supplement companies out there at the moment. Also chatted to John Hodgson ( John Hodgson - IFBB Professional Bodybuilder ) at his new gym last week and he swears by CNP.

I've been experimenting with ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium and Vit B6) and i dont seem as wiped out and seem to recover quicker afterwards, some dont rate it but i do.

Any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by The Chief; 25 September 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 25 September 2008, 02:20 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks mate for all your info,i go 3 times a week alternate days. i tend to eat alot of chicken, potatoes,tuna etc anyway so i get quite abit of protein.
Old 25 September 2008, 02:25 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

If you get chance post your workout and i'll have a quick butchers!
Old 25 September 2008, 02:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

thanks mate for all your info,i go 3 times a week alternate days. i tend to eat alot of chicken, potatoes,tuna etc anyway so i get quite abit of protein.
would swap your spuds for sweet potatoes
Old 25 September 2008, 02:48 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
would swap your spuds for sweet potatoes
ok

well ive only just started so my training routine isnt the most challenging as yet..

5 min warm up on bike level 5-6
10 min rowing machine level7-8

shoulder press 28kg 3 x 10reps
chest press 28kg 3 x 10reps
seated row 28kg 3 x 10reps
lat pull down 28kg 3 x 10reps

free weights

lat raises (forward) 8kg dumbells 3 x 8 reps each side
lat raises (arms out to side) 8kg dumbells 3 x 8 reps

there is another but i cant think what its called,someting like lat fly or chest fly
anyway 3 x 8reps 8kg dumbells

then cross trainer for 5mins cool down

stretch off

thats it.like i said its just a beginer routine
Old 25 September 2008, 03:10 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

best exercise regime I ever had was rowing..... training to race at henley.- never got quite that far with it, but still did row in a men's eight. brilliant fun.

didn't matter what you ate and drank- could not put weight on, but gave me a good look/physique.

athletes don't bulk up like muscle men- its generally that you just get nicely toned.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

ok

well ive only just started so my training routine isnt the most challenging as yet..

5 min warm up on bike level 5-6
10 min rowing machine level7-8

shoulder press 28kg 3 x 10reps
chest press 28kg 3 x 10reps
seated row 28kg 3 x 10reps
lat pull down 28kg 3 x 10reps

free weights

lat raises (forward) 8kg dumbells 3 x 8 reps each side
lat raises (arms out to side) 8kg dumbells 3 x 8 reps

there is another but i cant think what its called,someting like lat fly or chest fly
anyway 3 x 8reps 8kg dumbells

then cross trainer for 5mins cool down

stretch off

thats it.like i said its just a beginer routine

On what days do you do these excercises?
Old 25 September 2008, 03:18 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
On what days do you do these excercises?
i go every other day and do the same routine.. so i went saturday, rest sunday,went monday,rest tues etc
Old 25 September 2008, 03:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

How long you been doing it mate?
Old 25 September 2008, 03:22 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

2 mins saturday was my first day, only just joined
Old 25 September 2008, 03:32 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

some may say that you shouldnt train the same body parts more than once a week, however as your only doing light weights at the moment you should be okay (actually scrap that just re read through and your only 11 stone) possibly bring extra routines into it so maybe monday do your above routine, wednesday do a totally different routine, then friday revert back to original routine (obviously your days may be different but you get the idea.)
Old 25 September 2008, 04:13 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
some may say that you shouldnt train the same body parts more than once a week, however as your only doing light weights at the moment you should be okay (actually scrap that just re read through and your only 11 stone) possibly bring extra routines into it so maybe monday do your above routine, wednesday do a totally different routine, then friday revert back to original routine (obviously your days may be different but you get the idea.)

Correct - you shouldn't train any bodypart more than once a week especially if you are training hard.

Powerwrx - i'll do you a programme later and post it on here!
Old 25 September 2008, 04:17 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Correct - you shouldn't train any bodypart more than once a week especially if you are training hard.

Powerwrx - i'll do you a programme later and post it on here!
ok cheers mate,ill keep an eye out for it later
Old 25 September 2008, 04:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Dont be proud in the gym. Lift what you can and no more, especially on back. But also ensure you keep pushing yourself.
Old 25 September 2008, 04:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Best product for my favorite muscle

Old 25 September 2008, 04:30 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

As above, train hard but don't try and lift too much!

Try to avoid being 'that guy'... You know the one - who racks on the weight, looks round to make sure people are looking and does a couple of dodgy out of form half reps. Then crashes the weights on the floor, then looks around to make sure people can be impressed by how much he is lifting.
Old 25 September 2008, 04:31 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Dont be proud in the gym. Lift what you can and no more, especially on back. But also ensure you keep pushing yourself.

Good advice, i dont give a hoot what anyone else lifts, i just concentrate on good form and doing the best i can

Quick Reply: muscle products