Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stealth Technology

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2008, 03:10 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth Technology

I've just been watching a show on the Military Channel, which was about stealth bombers, fighters and technology.

After a while it started taking about the F117 Stealth Fighter and the B2 stealth bomber. Shortly afterwards, unmanned aircraft (UAVs) were mentioned. This made me think.

It was suggested that a unmanned stealth aircraft could fly to any point of the globe within two hours and then attack.

Fair enough.

But why not just develop stealth-intercontinental missiles? No pilot needed and you just aim it where it needs to go to. If it's stealthy, it won't be tracked. And the cost of a UAV, I guess, will be more than that of a missile.

Just wondering...
Old 11 October 2008, 08:10 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Russia has stealth ICBM's
Old 11 October 2008, 09:21 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

The main benefit being it's re-useable and I imagine a normal bomb would be considerably less than a stealth missile.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:46 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
The main benefit being it's re-useable and I imagine a normal bomb would be considerably less than a stealth missile.
As mick said the main reason would be re-usability, the comparative costs of building an UAV capable for repeatedly delivering thousand pounders (or what ever munition you happen to be using) over it's operational life, would be less than that of using the one shot deal that is a cruise missle.

EG a Tomahawk costs

$500,000 - current production Unit Cost
$1,400,000 - average unit cost (TY$)
$11,210,000,000 - total program cost (TY$)
which is money that once used, can't be reused.

Now this is where i shoot my arguement in the foot about costs.

Global Hawk costs an astronomic (although including development costs) 123.2 million dollars per unit, the bonus however include huge loitering times, re usability and a wider range of munitions, as well as the bonus of being able to gather intelligence.

So it's a pay your money and take your choice on the age old problem of getting the most efficient way of wiping out the opposition.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:52 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

A UAV launch probably won't be able to be detected like a missile launch can be.

A quick nosy on the net suggests that Predators are $15 million each, yet Peacekeeper ICBM's were $70 million each, and Trident SLBM's $30 million each. The missile costs may or may not include the costs of the appropriate infrastructure required to launch them, so could potentially cost even more.
Old 11 October 2008, 10:45 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Targets taken out by UAVs tend to be small and mobile, not requiring cruise missiles and UAVs come with the benefit of being able to hold over the target till the order to strike is given, or not.
Old 11 October 2008, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Bit more difficult to recall a missile if you change your mind about it, can't guarantee the self destruct button!
Les