Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Worrying article - The lights will soon go out

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2008, 01:23 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worrying article - The lights will soon go out

Interesting and concerning article today in the Telegraph concerning the UKs energy policy and the coming closure of 9 nuclear power stations.

"Within seven years, or even much sooner, we stand to lose nearly 40 per cent of the generating capacity which meets our current peak electricity needs. All but one of the 10 nuclear power stations which provide a fifth of our electricity are due to close and, as we were warned last week, they are all now so decrepit that much of that capacity may not be available even this winter. Also due to close, under the EU's Large Combustion Plants directive, are nine more large power stations, six coal-fired, which will soon be running out of the remaining quota of hours Brussels has allowed them."

The Government wants to build more wind turbines instead.....

Ed Miliband will follow EU instructions on climate change - Telegraph
Old 12 October 2008, 01:38 PM
spireite
BANNED

i wouldn't be too worried there's a new station being built in Plymouth a new one dew to be built out near Newark other stations are expanding as well
Old 12 October 2008, 02:02 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite
i wouldn't be too worried there's a new station being built in Plymouth a new one dew to be built out near Newark other stations are expanding as well
I work in the generation industry. Windfams will just about keep up with increased demand at the current build rate. The Coal Fired power stations and nuclear stations that are being decomissioned need to be replaced. Nuclear wont be available quick enough which leaves us with building more gas stations and buying gas from eastern Europe or building coal fired stations and investing in carbon capture.

The current approvals for build still leaves us with a massive shortfall.

At the labour party conference the talk was for new coal fired stations, I agree this has to be one of the options.

Cheers
Lee
Old 12 October 2008, 08:03 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

I also work in the industry, as an ops tech at a site that has now stopped generating.
Wind farms are being set up off the coast about 25 miles down the coast from me and several miles out to sea, these are feeding into a new sub station just off our site and onto the national grid.
Next door to us is the uk's first PWR reactor and hopefully soon a twin reactor will be built next door. This is one of EDF's plans anyway.
Not to everyone's liking I know but nuclear has to play a part to meet our needs.
But i also agree that money should be spent on alternatives.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:42 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Good of the government to have spotted this coming! I can feel another excuse for more tax coming on, useless ******.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Will other EU nations leave them selves high and dry like this? Why is it only us who follow EU whims to the letter?
Old 13 October 2008, 06:14 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
PANIC PANIC

The CREDIT CRUNCH has stolen all our electricity

(panic)
We had no need to Panic, this has been a known fact for nearly 15 years and we still have done naff all about it as no Government wants to be seen as not being green.

We will be in the same boat as California was a few years back when their demand outstripped supply. Electricity rationing.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 October 2008, 08:17 AM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by logiclee
I work in the generation industry. Windfams will just about keep up with increased demand at the current build rate. The Coal Fired power stations and nuclear stations that are being decomissioned need to be replaced. Nuclear wont be available quick enough which leaves us with building more gas stations and buying gas from eastern Europe or building coal fired stations and investing in carbon capture.

The current approvals for build still leaves us with a massive shortfall.

At the labour party conference the talk was for new coal fired stations, I agree this has to be one of the options.

Cheers
Lee

where do you work Lee
Old 13 October 2008, 10:47 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Company i work with has been going on about this for ages. 2006 indeed

Logica - Company

Idiots closing current stations and not opening new ones. Plus the people who built the old ones have all retired so there is no one who actually knows how to throw these things up!

Go green! Live in the dark!

5t.
Old 13 October 2008, 12:20 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I frantically buying up shares in candle makers as we speak
Old 13 October 2008, 01:14 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite
where do you work Lee

I'm an Electrical Engineer with a team of HV and LV electricians that work on sites related to energy supply. Don't want to be more specific as I may post from work the odd time.

From your user name I'd guess I'm not too far from yourself.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 October 2008, 05:35 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

The French will just have to crank up the power for us and send it down the link!

For those in the Generation industry above - any jobs going for a power engineer?
Old 13 October 2008, 05:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt.bowey
For those in the Generation industry above - any jobs going for a power engineer?
Very volatile times at the moment. Last month I'd say we were 99% on for a £200Million pound investment. Now I'd say it's 50/50, I'm meeting the CEO in the morning so may have a better idea.
If we do go ahead then we will be setting on next year but require a time served apprenticeship with minimum HNC/HND. Will also be setting on apprentices.
If we don't go ahead I may be looking for a job by the end of next year myself.

Cheers
Lee