Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ADT alarms ??

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2008, 06:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADT alarms / Yale alarms ??

Anyone here use an ADT alarm for there home ?? reason I ask is that I have seen an alarm on ebay and am seriously considering going for it in preferance to my other idea off just using dummy alarm boxes at the front / rear off my home, question is can ADT alarms be used alone or are they all part off a monitored scheme ie. you have to pay to have adt monitor them for you ??

easy enough to install yourself or is it purely a professional alarm installer job only ??

the alarm systmn for sale on ebay is a used one , anything I should be aware off ??

anyone here with knowledge off these things have a look at the following link for me and advise me if this particular alarm is worth considering ??

cheers.

GENUINE ADT INTRUDER / BUGLAR ALARM on eBay, also, Burglar Alarms, Safety Security, Home Garden (end time 04-Nov-08 13:45:41 GMT)

p.s have since been looking at the Yale range off alarms on ebay, anyone use the Yale branded ones, any good ??

Last edited by jono300; 03 November 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 31 October 2008, 08:13 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Anyone ??
Old 31 October 2008, 12:44 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

I have an ADT monitored alarm, apparently all ADT alarms are monitored.
Old 31 October 2008, 12:49 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Just to add... the sensors won't work, removing them will have caused the tilt mechanism to go off, so they'll need some form of reset I guess, by someone who knows what they are doing.

If you are looking to just install the wall boxes, then good idea I suppose... I would also stick up the sensor boxes where a thief could look into a window and see them, making it more authentic.
Old 31 October 2008, 01:03 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Tilt mechanism???
Old 31 October 2008, 02:16 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Tilt mechanism???
Yeah, when I had it installed I asked him how I could take the sensors off the wall because I was going to paint some rooms - he said I couldn't take it off as it would trip something inside the sensor and the control box would know... meaning that the sensor would not work until an engineer reset it.

He told me to paint around the sensors.
Old 02 November 2008, 05:08 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I think he means tamper sensors, I have these on my sensors, when you open the sesor the alarm triggers. you need to ensure you have the Engineering access code for the control panel to reset them. This also allows you to put the alarm into engineering mode to open the senors for cleaning and removal / relocation.

I'm sure ADT alarms are no different to any others word of warning though, the the cabling for my alarm system is not colour coded. All the central cores are black. This may be a problem for a DIY install if the same applies to the alarm you are looking at.
Old 02 November 2008, 07:36 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

you will need engineering and customer codes for the alarm as well as an idea of how to program it. You will also have to get an ADT engineer to connect it to the monitoring station with YOUR address etc. That will cost more than the Alarm itself AFAIK.

Last edited by j-k; 02 November 2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03 November 2008, 07:20 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j-k
you will need engineering and customer codes for the alarm as well as an idea of how to program it. You will also have to get an ADT engineer to connect it to the monitoring station with YOUR address etc. That will cost more than the Alarm itself AFAIK.
Okay thanks mate kinda suspected this which was excatly the reason I did not end up going for it, pity as ADT certainly have a very good repuation .

have still been looking on ebay and noticed a lot off the Yale branded alarm sytmns for sale, anyone here use any off the Yale branded alarm systmns ??
Old 03 November 2008, 07:23 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

just buy a system and get it fitted,
Old 03 November 2008, 07:32 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
pity as ADT certainly have a very good repuation .

ADT...All Done Temporary, Alarm Distruction Team , Another Drop of Tea, Another Day Tomorrow, Ar**holes, D**ckheads & Thickos ??

I could go on....although im sure not all of the engineers fall into all of the above descriptions...lol

Jon

Ex ADT technical Engineer from MANY years ago..
Old 03 November 2008, 07:47 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

Not all ADT systems are monitored. A good deal of them are leased and they are probably the ones on remote signalling.

If you want an alarm just get a security company to do it for you. Plenty of one man bands about that will probably do you a system for less than £300. Trouble is if you fit your own and then do end up with a problem with it a lot of alarm companies wont touch it and might insist on it being pulled out and one of their own systems put in.

I work in the industry (as you might be able to tell) we are one of the only companies locally that will take other peoples systems over.

Dont skimp and by some junk like that yale stuff. Its not proper gear and will probably last about a year before it breaks. Brand names if you are gonna buy your own only Texecom and ADE will do.
Old 03 November 2008, 08:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a good one from a local electrical wholesalers, wireless and remote control with a built in modem so it calls you when triggered. Took me less than an hour to fit. and comes with a two year warranty for £200.
Old 03 November 2008, 08:08 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

is texecom a good make what about apollo and orbik
Old 03 November 2008, 08:27 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I bought a good one from a local electrical wholesalers, wireless and remote control with a built in modem so it calls you when triggered. Took me less than an hour to fit. and comes with a two year warranty for £200.

Calls you when triggered ?? sounds great apart from the fact that knowing my luck I would probably be some 15 miles away shopping with the wife when I received the call, very frustrating when all you could do is imagine them dragging your new plasma off the wall !! there again some really fancy ones even allow you to listen in " live " personally dont think I could !!!

nope seriously guys really do appreciatte all the advice you have provided, to be honest I personally feel it is only the rear off the property that is at risk - patio doors, the front off the house looks out onto the rest off the street and there are no ground level side windows, so again being that it is just the rear off the house that seems as if it could be at risk I am a bit loathe to spend a lot on a full professionally installed systmn.

just wonder how these so called pet friendly sensors work, do they possibly only detect moving objects above a certain height ??