Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scoobynet Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2008, 07:29 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobynet Cyclists

Now it's getting abit colder I'm trying to sort out some warmer/better clothes for my commuting.

I'd found some propper warm cycling trousers on one of the online shops for around £50.
Pleased to say I'd wandered into TKMaxx today and found a pair of skiing trousers that seem to be perfect for what I'm after for only £12.99
We'll just have to see now how they work out.

Also after some better gloves as the Halfrauds ones I got a month or so back were fecking useless the other morning. My fingers were painfully cold.

Anyone got any recomendations?

Last edited by Bonehead; 30 October 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 30 October 2008, 07:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

.... Its attack of the "wrap up warm brigade"... on a feckin budget
Old 30 October 2008, 07:58 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
.... Its attack of the "wrap up warm brigade"... on a feckin budget
Yup, being warm and a tight-wad........two of life's priorities in one go
Old 30 October 2008, 08:02 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yup, being warm and a tight-wad........two of life's priorities in one go
So then....

You admit "freely" walking into, wait for it... TKMaxx and spending £12.99 on a pair of.... "ski pants" ... for cycling in the winter!

And then go on to say, and I quote " We'll just have to see now how they work out"... now who is this "we"? do you aim to have a periodic review on the progress of said pants, and if so on what criteria are you basing this review?
Old 30 October 2008, 08:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Iv spent less,possibly sick squid ,on a pair of Gelert bottom huggers
Old 30 October 2008, 08:14 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I don't know about trousers, but I do know a good pair of cycling gloves when I see a pair. I currently have a pair of Thor MX gloves and these are brillinat. This make is usually found on motor cross clothing, so its good stuff.

Mine are similar to this, but in white/black/brown

NEW 2009 THOR MX ADULT PHASE RACER GLOVES SIZE XLARGE on eBay, also Extra-Large Gloves, Gloves, Motorcycle Clothing Helmets, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Nov-08 10:07:17 GMT)
Old 30 October 2008, 08:21 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

My cycle has 4 wheels and an engine that heats up and keeps me warm lol or i just cheat and use the kids Bmx as only work 1200 yards away from my home! "Sad i know" lol
Old 30 October 2008, 08:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wearing some Helly Hansen leggings, standard Chav type Jogging bottoms over them, a roll neck ski sweater with my Altura Waterproof (Bright Yellow) Night Vision Jacket.

I also have Aldi Gloves, 3 quid with some thermal liners for really cold mornings, they now stink and look like they have a Slug infestation from the constant flow of snot that commences the minute I get on the bike. I have an Aldi skull cap to go under my Helmet and overshoes to go over my Aldi £20 SPD shoes which are doing quite well, I get them really muddy and dont give a f*ck, at twenty quid they are disposable, I put some old ski socks underneath and when its really cold, sling my Aldi overshoes over the top.

I have been fairly warm every day, the ends of my fingers get cold but feet are fine.

The secret I find is to get dressed in all your gear then have your breakfast and you start getting to hot in the house so you end up relishing the cold air when you get out, also move your gear into a heated area, rather than leaving it to get cold in the garage, putting on cold gear is horrible.

Lighting wise I have 2 rear, one on bike, one on the rucksack, on the front, my replacement Cateye Single Shot Plus arrived (upgraded bracket, seems better and good service from the importers), also whilst that was away I bought 2 Tesco 3 watt torches, little aluminium ones jubilee clipped temporarily to the bike, but now they are permanent, I like having the additional light on the unlit lanes and muddy tracks.

Really enjoying it at the moment, like the light mornings (for a couple of weeks until it goes dark) and the fully dark nights are better than dusk. Saw a Fox run out tonight, Rabbits and Bats.

I have half a tank of V-Power, last filled it on the 5th of October, the money isn't the issue, I am enjoying cycling more than driving, I am not looking for excuses to go in the car. I get a week of from the 10th in London, so full English breakfasts, Steak dinners and too much booze !

Last edited by J4CKO; 30 October 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 30 October 2008, 09:22 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cycling shorts, tights (non-thermal) and waterproof baggies keep my legs perfectly warm.

Wicking base layer (DHB) and the same Nightvision as J4CKO is almost a sweat box on anything but the coldest nights

1 pair of socks and the nightvision overshoes for the feet

Go to Millets and get some gloves (thinsulate) as the bloody cycle waterproof winter ones are way too bulky

Getting a skull cap tomorrow, but i find a buff is bloody good under my cycle helmet.

Wearing that lot on Tuesday (-3 start) I was perfectly warm
Old 30 October 2008, 09:53 PM
trialsben
Scooby Newbie

I find it's better to wear a lot of thin layers than the thick bulky gear. The Helly Hansen Lifa baselayers are well worth the money and I also have a pair of leg warmers which are really good to keep your knees warm on cold winter mornings.
As Kieran said, a Buff is also a very good investment for various parts of your head and neck.

A quick 30 sec. search for cheap gloves brought up these two;
Stif Performance Mountain Bikes | Altura Micro Fleece Glove

Stif Performance Mountain Bikes | Sealskinz Thermal Kj331 Glove Liner

I use a pair of these in winter though and they were worth every penny, waterproof, windproof and sooooo warm

FOX Thermal Paw FOX Racing Protective Gear Gloves
Old 31 October 2008, 10:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ive started using my golf gear
Old 31 October 2008, 11:52 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Any thermal socks, thinsulate gloves and the most important bit being a quality base layer preferably made from Murino wool

If you are going to be cycling in anything much colder than -5 in rural areas (when wind chill and rain or snow are involved ) then I’m afraid IMHO you need to splash the cash on good waterproofs and thermal longs, insulated boots along with overshoes would be advisable

Specialized Defroster shoes - BIKEmagic BM reviews

It all depends on how far you are cycling though......if you only have a couple of miles then just layer up with almost anything and go for it, but if you have 20 miles or so per day then you need to take comfort and quality in to account and I’ve found you need to spend a bit more. I’ve tried buying ‘cheapish’ and it’s a false economy I’m afraid
Old 31 October 2008, 12:34 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Helly Hansen leggings with baggy shorts over the top. Helly Hansen base layer on top with a dayglow reflective running vest over the top. Keeps me warm right down to about -5.

Specialized winter gloves are a must!

If you're feeling the cold, you really ought to be working harder

I'm looking forwards to being able to get out on the bike in a few weeks time

edit: What I've put down suits me for leisure off-roading. As SiPie says, if it's for commuting then spend a bit more to keep your gear clean and dry.
Old 31 October 2008, 12:52 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
if it's for commuting then spend a bit more to keep your gear clean and dry.
Gear as in bollox and todger?
Old 31 October 2008, 01:10 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Gear as in bollox and todger?

That's what any odd sock is for
Old 31 October 2008, 01:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Mine hides when its cold anyway