Is this repairable...

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2008, 08:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this repairable...

No not my boiler

Thats actually getting repaired today (Don't ask)

No... I went out this A.M. to take Mrs to work, and was greeted by this half way up the drivers side...

As you can see from the finger I left in, the horizontal crack is approx 4" and curvs up about 1". Only major issue being it seems to stem from the rubber surround. Firstly, is it "optimistic" hoping to be able to have it repaired?

If not, whats the deal with insurers on these. I know as I'm young I have a high accidental damage excess (around £650 in total), but it says on my policy details that it's £60 for windscreens and to refer to section "x" which I can't bloody find

I'm wondering if it may be cheaper to find a breaker and get a second hand windscreen and source another rubber surround. Thoughts appreciated.
Old 31 October 2008, 08:46 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you're fully comp you can get it sorted and pay just the excess (£60 in your case) and it won't affect your no claims.

You'll need to go to the approved repairers for your Insurance C. though - so find out who they are first
Old 31 October 2008, 08:47 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

No way to repair that at all.

What car is it? is the screen bonded in? If its bonded (most modern cars are) then changing the screen is not a DIY job unless you really know what you are doing.

Speak to your insurers, most will arrange for Autoglass to come out to replace it. You pay the excess, and it doesnt affect your NCB normally.
Old 31 October 2008, 08:48 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

No its not, £60 excess is the best way forward, call the nearest windscreen repair centre and get it sorted by them.

In this weather moisture will get inside during the day, it'll freeze at night and push that crack even further along the windscreen. Then knowing your luck a passing plod will ticket you!
Old 31 October 2008, 08:50 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
If you're fully comp you can get it sorted and pay just the excess (£60 in your case) and it won't affect your no claims.

You'll need to go to the approved repairers for your Insurance C. though - so find out who they are first
Yes mate, I'm always fully comp. on cars like this, so £60 sounds like good news I guess Definitely doesn't affect NCB even thought I'm only 24 higher risk etc? Is it a different set up for windscreen cover in regards to the rest of the car, i.e. having a bump and replacing panels etc? This is the first time I've had a cracked windscreen (had two minor stone chips in Scoobs windscreen prior) so it's all new to me. I didn't wanna ring my insurers up and get a horrible shock due to my age and inexperience on the road (coming up 2 years NCB in Dec.)

Thanks for tha advice
Old 31 October 2008, 08:52 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
No way to repair that at all.

What car is it? is the screen bonded in? If its bonded (most modern cars are) then changing the screen is not a DIY job unless you really know what you are doing.

Speak to your insurers, most will arrange for Autoglass to come out to replace it. You pay the excess, and it doesnt affect your NCB normally.
Sorry mate, its a 1988 (F) Peugeot 205GTi, so pretty prehistoric technology/luxury wise. I'm wondering if it's either the stiff suspension, going over bumps, or even malicious damage that has caused it. The car sits outside my house at night, but I have my CCTV watching over. Either way, damage is done and I expect if someone had punched it or something, the alarm would have gone skitz anyways.

I'm liking these responses thus far - £60 sounds like a bargain for a new screen. I didn't wanna loose my precious NCB, as I'm hoping for a renewal price of under £700 this year.
Old 31 October 2008, 08:53 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Does not affect your NCB if fully comp and a lot of insurance companies will even waive the £60 excess if you go through their approved glass installers

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2008, 08:54 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've had a rear windscreen go 'pop', the front one get smacked by Ayers Rock (it bloody looked like it as it orbited the bonnet and impacted right in my bloody eyeline! It was only a shame the insurance didn't cover accidental unloading) and my drivers side glass when my car got broken into. All done via insurance with no NCB loss.

You'll be fine.
Old 31 October 2008, 12:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Had to pop out and pay usual bits and bobs, and came home with another 1/2" on the vertical part of the crack - damn my stiff suspension

Anyways I called my insueres up who asked for the cars details and the usual couple security questions. Told me I would get a phonecall from the fitters and comfirmed I would pay only my excess (£60)

Got a call from the company "National Windscreens" I think they were called. Asked when I wanted it doing, and we agreed for Tuesday morning. Excess is payable to them on satisfactory completion of the replacement windscreen.

Just hope it's the right colour tint (I had no idea so guessed bronze - a al same as all the other windows)

Anyone had any experiences of using these guys, think i got the name right.

Thanks for the help guys appreciated, can go back to looking for a job now.
Old 31 October 2008, 01:08 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

National Windscreens have just left mine after fitting a new windscreen to the Impreza. Cant fault them, turned up when they said they would and did a top job. £70 excess on mine.
Old 31 October 2008, 01:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Best way COB, nuisance having to find the £60 though.

Les
Old 31 October 2008, 03:52 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Just as well Nat didnt post saying she had a crack as well
Old 31 October 2008, 06:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Best way COB, nuisance having to find the £60 though.

Les
Think me mam will help me out on this. Will pay her backski when I have another commission done (haven't been able to do any since the boiler went - too cold and hand shakes like Elvis)
Old 31 October 2008, 07:05 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
As you can see from the finger I left in
enters thread

reads above line expecting pictures of your mrs

leaves thread

Old 31 October 2008, 07:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555)
enters thread

reads above line expecting pictures of your mrs

leaves thread

Sends ammusing pm
Old 31 October 2008, 07:08 PM
yoza
BANNED

Piece of drop glass £20 from my local scap yard, about half an hour to fit.

This is what I would do.
Old 31 October 2008, 07:17 PM
555)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
no not my boiler
bunny or gas?
Old 31 October 2008, 07:35 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

they seem to like cracking,on my old one my drivers door glass exploded without warning,a mate of mine had one that cracked like yours is.
Old 31 October 2008, 08:10 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
Piece of drop glass £20 from my local scap yard, about half an hour to fit.

This is what I would do.
me too, but isnt it the windscreen thats broken? Thats why i asked if it was bonded in or not.

If its the drivers window, then leave the insurance alone and change the glass as Yoza said, its an easy enough job and will cost less than the glass excess.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:17 PM
yoza
BANNED

Sorry I thought it was drop glass...it is in fact the screen.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

mine
Old 01 November 2008, 01:36 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

COB, to check the tint, get a sheet of white paper and position it so half is out of the car and the other half is in behind the screen...look through the screen and compare to the plain paper and you should be able to judge the colour. I'd imagine it to be plain, green or as you say bronze but worth checking before they arrive.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:45 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
COB, to check the tint, get a sheet of white paper and position it so half is out of the car and the other half is in behind the screen...look through the screen and compare to the plain paper and you should be able to judge the colour. I'd imagine it to be plain, green or as you say bronze but worth checking before they arrive.
I'm pretty sure it's not green tinted Bob. Bronze or plain, so either one doesn't really matter to me - as they would look quite similar. Every other window has a bronze tint, so I'll take me chances. As long as they don't turn up with a green one - I'll be happy
Old 02 November 2008, 04:12 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

If you like the car and are planning to hang onto it for a while keep an eye on them while they work. It is easy to break the paint coat behind the glass taking out a bonded screen, a decent fitting company will cover any scratches with a paint on primer before refitting the glass. This will prevent rust starting where water will collect around the screen and where you cant get at it after the screen is refitted.
Old 02 November 2008, 04:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
If you like the car and are planning to hang onto it for a while keep an eye on them while they work. It is easy to break the paint coat behind the glass taking out a bonded screen, a decent fitting company will cover any scratches with a paint on primer before refitting the glass. This will prevent rust starting where water will collect around the screen and where you cant get at it after the screen is refitted.
Will do. The car will be out front, and I'll probably be sat at the computer which is in the front room over looking it anyways.

I'm polite enough and will offer drinks etc, will be nosey and ask loads of questions.
Old 04 November 2008, 11:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well the dudes just turned up and said it shouldn't take more than 20 mins lol. The windscreen isn't bonded in, it's held in with rubber, so he said it's an easy job if you know what your doing.

(Got my CCTV on anyways strangely enough recording him ).

Nah seriously, checked my insurance certificate and went straight out. having a laugh and a joke, just a shame it's raining so the car's covered in towels so the interior doesn't go 'ffffzzz-pop'

Glad it's only costing £60 too