Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The joy of Dog Ownership (and Beer)

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2008, 10:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The joy of Dog Ownership (and Beer)

Forgotten how great it is, tonight we went for a walk (as we do every night),

Stopped in the boozer for a couple of pints, Bob loved it, sat there in the Tap room enjoying being the centre of attention, got chatting to a few people, normally when I am on my own thats how I stay, a Dog ensures all manner of drunken nutters chatting to you !

Carried the walk on, went through the local beauty spot, a place called Lindow Common, a few acres of marshy land with paths, with a lake in the middle, I guessed me and the hound were the scariest things about so didnt mind it being pitch black, he was in his element, I clocked two lads sat on a bench enjoying a "Smoke" (I could smell it), they didnt see me but Bob was doing his full on sheep stalking being a Border Collie, they didnt know that, all I heard was "What's that" , "Whats what", "That over there" , "F*ckin ell" and then he steamed over to say hello, they shat themselves seeing this beast emerge from the lake having had a smoke, I shouted "Its a Dog" and they sat back down and looked sheepish

On the way back, we stopped for some chips at "Wing Wah", the delightful Chinese chippy, the owner always says "Where your friend" meaning J4ckos mate, she said it tonight and I said "He is down here" and pointed at the dog, I said I had swapped him for the dog, but she wasn't fooled, unlike the times when we tried to book a table there from the pub, when she asks if we want our chips "tw-eet now" and all stand there doing bird impressions.

I sat there on the Barbers steps like I was in a Streets video, me and the dog eating chips, he isn't a greedy hound and only had three, not that he was getting many more anyway.

I put my chip papers in the bin and crossed the road, past the boozer, the dog did his best to drag me back in, honest, pulling and grunting but I had had enough, but what a wonderful dog, one that wants me to have that extra pint, for that I will forgive him for chewing the kitchen door frame.
Old 31 October 2008, 10:21 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get him some toys Jacko, the more the merrier. Means he wont get bored. My nutcases have a few footballs that they rip apart & some daft rubber toys & my place hasnt been touched at all.
(Boxer & a Lab/Pointer cross)
Old 01 November 2008, 12:10 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Awww, it's nice to have a doggy companion.. we used to have a black lad when I was a wee lass, and he used to go into the local with my dad all the time.. they even kept him his own ashtray behind the bar, which he used to have a slurp of beer from

Our boxer, Ben, went through as phase of chewing the door frames... he had more toys than Pets At Home, and had more affection lavished on him than my other half... but he still chewed. He was a couple of years old - we tried everything to stop him from chewing ... rubbing mustard, perfume, and orange onto the wood.. the only thing which stopped him dead in his tracks was a dab of deep heat
Old 01 November 2008, 12:51 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I used to have a dog that did the same. The off licence was on the way to the park. She'd insist I went in as the owner always gave her a little treat of pork scratchings or biltong (she preferred biltong).

That shop owner was a clever b@stard - made thousands from me

I loved that mongrel - cleverer (more clever?) than the wife of the era

Last edited by fatherpierre; 01 November 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Great story J4CKO, I knew you would be happy with that dog.

Les
Old 01 November 2008, 11:10 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Quality wish my dog dragged me in the pubs! lol
Old 01 November 2008, 11:12 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Great stuff
Old 01 November 2008, 11:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Obviously I am not the type to waste time and money in a pub when I take the dogs out...........

That's why my wife was confused when I was at work and the local phoned up asking if someone could collect my 3 dogs which had turned up looking for me in the snug

(they had escaped from the garden gate which someone had left open)

dl
Old 01 November 2008, 11:32 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Old 01 November 2008, 02:35 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Awww, it's nice to have a doggy companion.. we used to have a black lad when I was a wee lass, :
You would never get away with that in modern times ! you must have been the richest family in the street having your own black lad. Did he pick cotton for you ?
Old 01 November 2008, 02:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just been with J4ckos mate for a nice walk, with his kids and Bob, mine had a to much homework to do !
Old 01 November 2008, 03:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

it was nice lovely fresh day but alittle muddy,
here where we went,

Wilmslow - Styal

me j4cko my two kids and my niece and bob the dog
its a nice dog,
j4cko do you want to know something funny,

after sam moaning about walking back thru styal village , giving us cheek, and saying his legs were aching. he's on the wii fit now.
Old 01 November 2008, 03:42 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
You would never get away with that in modern times ! you must have been the richest family in the street having your own black lad. Did he pick cotton for you ?
Old 01 November 2008, 05:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Yeah, I saw that typo. Been laughing about it ever since

Glad you are enjoying the new hound, J4CKO
Old 01 November 2008, 07:26 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

omfg! now there is a typo you really dont want to be making

Old 01 November 2008, 07:29 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300

me and my typos seem to be giving you quite a few giggles recently
Old 01 November 2008, 07:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300

Its funny, all common sense says a Dog is a pain in the ****, and they are, but I love having one and have missed it for a long time, our last Dog, Molly the Cocker was a nice Dog, but we had seven years of her being blind and deaf, plus other ailments so I have missed the good side of having a Dog as she couldn't really give much feedback, not her fault and it was difficult to watch her decline but we had to let her have her dotage.

Its nice to have a youngish dog, he is six so a good few years in him yet hopefully, definitely a mans dog, not too big, not too small, not aggressive but not feeble, not chavvy but not poncey and he likes a walk, I am getting fitter, with 14 miles on the bike a day and 3 or 4 walking, I just need to do some swimming and its a mini triathlon every day !
Old 01 November 2008, 08:04 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Nice tale of everyday folk....

Dylan decided that Trick or Treat was an excuse to put his Staffi head on and scare the carp out of a lad who knocked last night. He had a pair of crutches and a "Scream" mask as an outfit, sadly Dylan took it very badly, the lad nearly cacked himself.

V.Funny. Mainly because he loves kids but will batter an adult without thinking, a product of his rescue dog status. We think he was bred for fighting as at four and a half stone of staffi-lab cross he's quite a lump.

DunxC

P.S. Not Photobucket friendly myself, but VMS to the left for a pic !

Last edited by dunx; 02 November 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its funny, all common sense says a Dog is a pain in the ****, and they are, but I love having one and have missed it for a long time, our last Dog, Molly the Cocker was a nice Dog, but we had seven years of her being blind and deaf, plus other ailments so I have missed the good side of having a Dog as she couldn't really give much feedback, not her fault and it was difficult to watch her decline but we had to let her have her dotage.

Its nice to have a youngish dog, he is six so a good few years in him yet hopefully, definitely a mans dog, not too big, not too small, not aggressive but not feeble, not chavvy but not poncey and he likes a walk, I am getting fitter, with 14 miles on the bike a day and 3 or 4 walking, I just need to do some swimming and its a mini triathlon every day !
Sounds like he is doing a splendid job, of helping you get over Molly, bless her.

I have never been a doggie person, but since getting Jet, I never knew dogs could be such fun. He is fantastic. And my bum has never been trimmer with all the walking.

Get some new pics up of Bob please. Would love to see how he is doing
Old 02 November 2008, 08:35 AM
Rhana
Scooby Regular

Lindow common is scary at the best of times
Old 02 November 2008, 11:43 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Old 02 November 2008, 12:16 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

awwwwwwwwwwww
Old 02 November 2008, 12:19 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
awwwww look at that face

Looks bright as a button and ready for you to just say the word. He's gorgeous

Not being daft here, but he looks like a BOB
Old 02 November 2008, 12:59 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

He's a wee cracker J4CKO
Old 02 November 2008, 04:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
He's a wee cracker J4CKO
Indeed and a big Crapper ! took him for a walk around lindow again and he was on a two stop strategy again. He is so good with other dogs, he came into contact with two Bassett hounds, lovely dogs but very fat, like the Moog off Willo the Wisp (kids programme) crossed with Flash from the Dukes of Hazard, they were woofing at him and he wasnt bothered, they were hillarious.