Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Paranoid" question re Pay As You Go Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2008, 07:52 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Paranoid" question re Pay As You Go Mobile

Is there ANY way that someone could find out the following if they set their mind to it.?
1) Listing of calls to an from a “pay as you go” Mobile phone
2) Same question with regard to outgoing or incoming SMS

I have a somewhat “paranoid” lady friend who is worried that her ex could do one or both of the above.
Old 01 November 2008, 07:57 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I wanted to get the number of a txt message I accidently deleted, the network wouldnt even give me my own call details.

They will only release this information at the request of the Police. if she's really that concerned why not get another PAYG sim?

O2

Orange

TMobile

Vodafone

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 01 November 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01 November 2008, 08:04 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

There is no way to get this information unless you are inside the operator or govt.
Old 01 November 2008, 08:55 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I wanted to get the number of a txt message I accidently deleted, the network wouldnt even give me my own call details.

They will only release this information at the request of the Police. if she's really that concerned why not get another PAYG sim?

O2

Orange

TMobile

Vodafone
Agreed, and if she really is that paranoid, pay for it in cash, and top it up the same way.
Old 01 November 2008, 09:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Paradroid, wicked game

MArt
Old 01 November 2008, 10:23 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

or even more paranoid use a phone box
Old 01 November 2008, 11:46 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST FOR COMMUNICATIONS DATA

To the attention of the Data Protection Officer

Dear Sir or Madam

This is a subject access request for disclosure of information under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Please send me the information which I am entitled to under section 7(1). In accordance with that section, please provide a statement:

* confirming whether any personal data is being processed;
* describing the personal data processed;
* specifying the purposes for which data is processed for each category of data, and the recipients of any data disclosed[1];
* detailing any transfersof data outside the UK in whatever form or by whatever means;
* naming the person responsible for the data protection compliance.

This information should include any personal data comprised in, linkable to, or which can be associated with the following identifiers:

* All records relating to telephone calls made from or to the telephone number [FORM: your telephone numbers with this company]
* All records relating to electronic services and text messages made from or to this same telephone number;
* All records relating to billing information, including subscriber data relating to my account.

In particular, the following types of personal data are sought:

* "communications data" as defined by Section 21(4) and Section 21(6) of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000;
* any data processed by switches, cells, Message-Transfer-Agents(MTAs), monitoring-systems, voice mail, or other software or hardware devices under your control, which is retained and/or disclosed in hardcopy, electronic media, backup devices, transient storage or otherwise including location information;
* case notes on incidents, events, disclosures, collections, modifications or faults;
* records of disclosures to other parties, including emails;
* the logic of any automated decision processes[2];
* the sources of the personal data.

As required by the Data Protection Act 1998 section 8(2), please provide an explanation of the purpose, meaning, and context of the information. This includes geographical information for any location data that is retained.

You are required to supply this information as soon as possible, no longer than forty days. If possible, I request that the information be provided in electronic form, as allowed under section 8(2) of the DPA 1998. If this is not possible, please provide it to me in hard copy. If you are not providing me with copies of all records that you hold related to this request containing personal information becuase of an exemption in the DPA or for any other reason, please inform me of that fact.

I understand that you are required to properly identify any applicant for access to personal data. Please promptly advise me by electronic mail [Form: email address] or telephone [insert phone number] whether any further information is required from me, or whether the information contained in this letter and/or my personal cheque for the access fee is sufficient. Please advise me by telephone of any further information you require.

If you believe you are not the data controller for any of the above data, please provide the contact details of the organisation you believe to be the controller and explain why you have reached the conclusion why you are not the controller.

Yours faithfully

Dave M

Its a grey area with PAYG in regards to the law, most will supply the info as far as i am aware.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:18 AM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Yes. Gov't, law enforcement, security svces. Generally via the FSS.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:24 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
. Generally via the FSS.
Who?
Old 02 November 2008, 03:55 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I thought requests could only be made for data applicable to the requester, otherwise you could make a request for someone else's info which surely breaches the Data Protection Act
Old 02 November 2008, 04:03 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Who?
Forensic Science Service
Old 02 November 2008, 04:04 PM
yoza
BANNED

Whilst on the subject......NEVER pay for stuff on your wireless home phone, using verbal bank details.

Dead easy for lowlife to listen in and jot down details.

They can easily get everthing they need from bank details, names, passwords, home addresses etc.
Old 02 November 2008, 04:22 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

There is computers that listen to all calls and monitor texts and e mails for buzz words that could pin point to a terrorist cell etc.

Also i am sure if you could get the phone you can divert the calls and texts to your own phone, not sure if you can do it so you only gat a copy and not the text itself.

Mac
Old 02 November 2008, 09:52 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on Orange payg...... and registered online too...... if i go to my account, i can view all numbers that txts have been sent 'to'... and numbers i've called....... in other words..... if someone knew the account details they could see what numbers have been texted or called.......
Old 03 November 2008, 01:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billythekid
There is no way to get this information unless you are inside the operator or govt.
Inside the operator .. is she fit ?