Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Unemployed - lazy or unfortunate?
Lazy?
79.41%
Unfortunate?
20.59%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Being unemployed

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2008, 02:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being unemployed

Are there people who genuinely can't do anything to generate an income, or are 'the unemployed' basically just a bunch of people who can't be arsed doing a bit of graft?
Old 02 November 2008, 02:53 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Lazy imo, my reason for this, well for example, a certain member on this forum has not got a job, moans all day about it, but does nothing about it. For a start he should not even be posting or reading anything on the net that does not involve finding a job.

Exempt are people who are genually affected by the economic downturn.

Not job shy Wa**ers
Old 02 November 2008, 07:19 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Your poll is biased, therefore i shall refrain from voting.

All your poll will show is a skewed picture based on peoples current perceptions.

There are a vast majority of people who for no fault of there own, are incapable of working,or holding a job of any substance.

There is then a sector who does not need or want to work, however they have the means to support or are supported themselves.

Another sector based on current economic concerns are currently looking for work through no fault of their own.

Anf finally there is a core sector that does not want to work regardless that they are fully able. (benefit culture) Unfortunately as long as the financial net supports and maintains them, they wont work.

factor the above into the poll, and then you'll get a better picture

Mart
Old 02 November 2008, 08:51 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Lazy imo, my reason for this, well for example, a certain member on this forum has not got a job, moans all day about it, but does nothing about it. For a start he should not even be posting or reading anything on the net that does not involve finding a job.

Not job shy Wa**ers

Thats a bit harsh maybe that said person is just unfortunate and cannot get a job ?
Old 02 November 2008, 09:05 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is as clear cut as one or the other. Certainly some people definitely don't want to work or even worse claim benefit and work on the side.

Others are just unfortunate and either live in a depressed area or have genuine problems.

Steve
Old 02 November 2008, 09:21 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of jobs going if people get off there fat asses and look for them! I have only ever been out of work for 2 weeks in my time as always got off my *** and hunted for a job!

Peoples excesses these days are... I am looking i have filled out some cv's on the net! Fukc the Net get off your *** and down the job centre (Not just to sign on!) but get down there and get a job or get your *** up the Industrial estates and walk round EVERY factory or job place and ask if there is any jobs going! (Never ever has this let me down!) and every job i have found i have been there for years!

If people don't want to work then they will do anything to get out of it!

IMHO i think NO work you should get NO help with benefits or income! (A very harsh statment i know but look at the immigrants and polish ? They can do it! so why can't us brits do it??)

And another thing that pi55es me off is the people who blag the medical saying there is something wrong with them when they haven't and also get a car out of us tax payers! ARGGGG!!!!!!

Anyways off to run and hide before someone moans at me!
Old 02 November 2008, 09:27 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
There are plenty of jobs going if people get off there fat asses and look for them! I have only ever been out of work for 2 weeks in my time as always got off my *** and hunted for a job!

Peoples excesses these days are... I am looking i have filled out some cv's on the net! Fukc the Net get off your *** and down the job centre (Not just to sign on!) but get down there and get a job or get your *** up the Industrial estates and walk round EVERY factory or job place and ask if there is any jobs going! (Never ever has this let me down!) and every job i have found i have been there for years!

IMHO i think NO work you should get NO help with benefits or income! (A very harsh statment i know but look at the immigrants and polish ? They can do it! so why can't us brits do it??)

And another thing that pi55es me off is the people who blag the medical saying there is something wrong with them when they haven't and also get a car out of us tax payers! ARGGGG!!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2008, 10:32 AM
psl wise
Scooby Regular

Old 02 November 2008, 10:40 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I think there is a mix of the both, some cannot find work for whatever reason others only want to scrounge.
Afterall why wouldn't someo f them want too if they are claiming more for not working than they would get if they were?
Old 02 November 2008, 10:40 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

This is my particular bugbear. Where I work we look out over the town square. There is one particular family who are on the medical as the old boy has a cane and they have disabled stickers. They are always in town shopping and have a new car every few years. I'm sure there house is probably given to them too.

I know other people who are in similar position. They do have medical issues but it doesn't stop them drinking and smoking and the odd hobble. We've had 2 holidays in 5 years. They've had more than 5 holidays in 2 years. New-ish car and a house extension worth £17K.

They've also run up masses of debt and then declared themselves bankrupt. I know a few who have done this. To people who have nothing what difference does it make if they spend spend spend then just say they can't pay it.

I'm not denying these people the same rights as everyone else but it does seem it is possible to get a "free ride".

It does not make sense.

Last edited by EddScott; 02 November 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02 November 2008, 10:45 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mart360
Your poll is biased, therefore i shall refrain from voting.

All your poll will show is a skewed picture based on peoples current perceptions.

There are a vast majority of people who for no fault of there own, are incapable of working,or holding a job of any substance.

There is then a sector who does not need or want to work, however they have the means to support or are supported themselves.

Another sector based on current economic concerns are currently looking for work through no fault of their own.

Anf finally there is a core sector that does not want to work regardless that they are fully able. (benefit culture) Unfortunately as long as the financial net supports and maintains them, they wont work.

factor the above into the poll, and then you'll get a better picture

Mart
What Mart said!
Old 02 November 2008, 11:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater

Not job shy Wa**ers
I' not going to retort and get into a slanging match with the above poster.

They have their opinion, and I have mine. I do feel given the current bad feeling in general towards the benefit scroungers, the poll is very biased against "said induvidual" and we all know who that is.

So I have not voted, and will not be getting into any arguments with any members over this poll/thread/situation. I just wanted to have my say, and will bow out gracefully.

Regards

Andy
Old 02 November 2008, 12:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get your *** up the Industrial estates and walk round EVERY factory or job place and ask if there is any jobs going! (Never ever has this let me down!) and every job i have found i have been there for years!
Nice to hear this, I bet most of the dole scroungers would complain that their feet hurt and they wanted disability living allowance after walking around like this. Maybe they would need a motorised scooter and a motability car.

My wife has been made redundant twice in the last ten years. Each time she has moved onto a bigger and better job (starting another on Monday). I suspect she's claimed back about 1% of the taxes she's paid in JSA. I suspect her ability to bounce back is because of investment in education and a good attitude, plus she really thinks about returning far more in useful work than she is paid by any company she works for. Handy that

Last edited by john banks; 02 November 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:13 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Massive shift currently though.

Our local paper has a weekly seperate Jobs supliment. They've had to cancel this and just had a single page in the paper the last few weeks.

Friends of mine who have recently been made redundant are struggling to find work and not for the lack of trying. Local Job centre says new positions have reduced by 85% in the last three months.
If we do get to 3 million unemployed by the end of next year then there certainly will be genuine people out of work who can't find a job.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 November 2008, 12:52 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I know quite a few people who are out of work. The general attitude among them when I point out the pages of job vacancies in the paper is "im too good for that", "im over-qualified for that", "thats sort of thing is beneath me".
They then sit on their ***** feeling sorry for themselves, moaning about being skint and how crap it is being out of work. Personally, I think they are idiots.
I would rather be mopping the floor in Mcdonalds than unemployed. Yes, its "beneath" me, but I would be happy to do it if the alternative was unemployment while waiting for the "perfect" job to be handed to me on a silver plate.

IMO, no matter what the job is, showing the sense to get a temporary job stacking shelves looks a lot better to any future employer than periods on benefit.

A chap I know of had his arm torn off in an industrial accident years back. Many people would see this as an excuse to live off the state for the rest of their lives, but not him, he works in a factory (driving a forkift!) and enjoys his work. "I will work till Im bedridden" he once said. And with his attitude and work ethic, he will have no problems findig another job if he were required to. On the other hand, I know a chap wih "Enemy of the F****ng State" tattood on his cheek. Unsurprisingly he is unemployed, and pretty much unemployable. He is a nice enough chap, but would you employ someone who turned up for interview like that? He lives off benefits, and has adopted "Freeganism" which basically means he eats discarded food out of bins and dresses like a tramp. This does nothing for his employment prospects.

If you need a job, sticking your CV up on Monster.com is NOT job hunting. Get down to the job centre every single morning and look at the new vacancies. Most towns will have at least one recruitment agency, register with as many as you can find within a reasonable distance. As someone said above, go door-to-door round factories and shops asking....assuming you can hold a reasonable conversation and dont look like a serial killer, you should find something within a couple of days.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:55 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Its nice to know Im classed as a job shy ****** after 19 years in employment to now find myself without a job thru no fault of my own,
Im a fully qualified electrical engineer not a dole skummer but you label us all the same as we dont work???????????
Old 02 November 2008, 12:57 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

whether you are a job-shy ****** or not depends entirely on how you go about fixing your situation. Do you put your cv online and turn down anything that pays less than 40k a year, or are you willing to go out every day and find work of any kind to avoid relying on benefit?
Old 02 November 2008, 12:58 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Many (if not most) people feel very demoralised with their state of unemployment, as their job hunting is getting them nowhere! Self-esteem deterioration takes place- day by day, week after week of unemployment. It's very sad. In such circumstances, driven people still find themselves something, to earn a crust; no matter how contrary to their choice/skills it may be. I have seen it with people. There are a few people I know who have worked since the age of 13, and went through this redundancy-in-vogue state a few times in thier employment history. They always found something, even before the first one was fully over. Such people have never been on unemployment benefits, it was against their dignity to go on. It's about people having genuine drive to work.

Saying that, current emplyment figures are very scary. Hope for some lift in job availability situation in near future.
Old 02 November 2008, 01:01 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
whether you are a job-shy ****** or not depends entirely on how you go about fixing your situation. Do you put your cv online and turn down anything that pays less than 40k a year, or are you willing to go out every day and find work of any kind to avoid relying on benefit?
40 k a year
Old 02 November 2008, 02:05 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson

Im on every agency/online job site I can find,most jobs are gone before even advertised as thats what we were like,
I have still not claimed a £1 in benefits but there will come a time when those savings run out,
I`ve even applied to make christmas puddings at a local company to make a few £££, so yes there are jobs,
Ive sent 33 applications in 11 weeks, but then again Im probably not trying hard enough for some, I hope those with the high ground attitude dont find out what its like to be dropped with 4 hrs notice that the company cant pay you for the months wages never mind the redundancy but hey, we all know it must be my fault for not getting of my **** then.
Old 02 November 2008, 02:34 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
Its nice to know Im classed as a job shy ****** after 19 years in employment to now find myself without a job thru no fault of my own,
Im a fully qualified electrical engineer not a dole skummer but you label us all the same as we dont work???????????
Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72

Im on every agency/online job site I can find,most jobs are gone before even advertised as thats what we were like,
I have still not claimed a £1 in benefits but there will come a time when those savings run out,
I`ve even applied to make christmas puddings at a local company to make a few £££, so yes there are jobs,
Ive sent 33 applications in 11 weeks, but then again Im probably not trying hard enough for some, I hope those with the high ground attitude dont find out what its like to be dropped with 4 hrs notice that the company cant pay you for the months wages never mind the redundancy but hey, we all know it must be my fault for not getting of my **** then.
If you are out there trying to make a better life for your self and trying to find and get another job and you are pulling out all the stops like by the sounds if it you are then NO you are NOT a work shy ****** as you are trying to do something about it! Big up to you for making the effort to dig your self out of a hole!

As for the christmas puddings just proves your not fussed what you do and can i have 1 please?
Old 02 November 2008, 04:13 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 02 November 2008, 05:47 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Not the best poll ever put up, so didn't vote.

Some people are unfortunante, some very unlucky and others plain lazy who take advantage of the benfits they can sponge.
Old 02 November 2008, 06:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Of course there are scroungers around. But I have a few mates on the wrong side of 60 who would spit blood if they read some of the sanctimonious s,hit in this thread. Some of these people have worked for years with decent jobs only to find themselves on the scrapheap. And yes they do try really hard to find something else. But is can be f,ucking hard and depressing. Oh and forget the no-age-discrimination joke - at the end of an interview they are asked to show a passport "to prove they are UK citizens" with their date of birth bang in the middle of the page.

dl
Old 02 November 2008, 07:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I walked out of school into a 3 million un-employed situation, and just accepted that someone better suited than you will get the job. So gave up, so many others in the same boat, they didn't even pressure us to try harder.

I have found that the ONLY people who will help you are the ones you impress, but to do that you still need a toe in the door, so putting yourself about is the only approach.

DunxC

P.S. Not voting.
Old 03 November 2008, 07:02 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Im currently unemployed (not claiming btw) Was made redundant at the beginning of October. Have got onto the recrutiment agencies and sent several cvs to various companies. But tbh, the whole industry (Franchise Dealers) Im in is making cut backs at the moment. so its not easy going at the moment.

Funny, if Id be laid off a month or so previously I would of gone back to college. But as it was too late for this years intake I couldnt
Old 03 November 2008, 07:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I suggest training for a career that will always need staff.

For example becoming an Undertaker
Old 03 November 2008, 07:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if you out of work it can be at times not your fault, i got made redundant, not like i had a choice, however i was back behind a new desk within 3 weeks, bearing in mind that, had at the time i posted up i was unemplyed was that lazy or unlucky?

to be fair unlucky, but there are folks out there whos jobs are so specialised find work is difficult.
Old 03 November 2008, 07:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
Lol me too

Quick Reply: Being unemployed