Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't they just mind their own bloody business

Roadside snack vans threatened unless they offer healthy food - Telegraph

dl
Old 11 November 2008, 12:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Great so the road side greasy joe will need to keep stock of healthy options that more than likely will end up in the bin, wasting food and raising prices.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:49 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Control freak government, simple as.

Unfortunately, the problem isn't even the central government, it's the local government that comes up with **** like this.

I feel like all the councils have been hi-jacked by political do-gooders and idiots who want to decide how *I* should live my life. The problem is also that they can hide better in local government than in central government (less media attention), so they can silently infest our daily lives with rubbish policies that nobody actually likes.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:53 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

It's bigger than that people. Expand your thoughts to the ever gorwing "climate change" BS. It's going to get a lot worse than this, esp around about 2015, when our Sun gives us another Maunder Minimum. Wonder why so may Govn'ts around the world are striking up ETS systems for 2010 - 2012?

Healthy, eco-friendly, food only! Mark my words!
Old 11 November 2008, 12:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

One aspect on being on the road that I love to bits of driving straight past crappy Little Chef style places and paying 1/4 as much for better food at a "truck stop" - bit of banter, usually a nice view and proper tea.

Being a slight health nerd, the odd bit of "bad" food is a joy to eat.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

What this government needs to realise is that it's not the food which is bad but peoples overall lifestyles. We've gone from a nation of workers in that we did manual jobs for 7 hours a day to jobs where we sit on our ***** all day. What needs to be done is provide people with facilities and time to do activities which work the body. I'm at a desk all day yet I make time to go the gym, play football etc. I eat pretty much whatever I want and in large amounts and although I know what is considered good for me I enjoy stuff that is high in fats and calories. I maintain a good weight and quite low body fat.

the answer is not controlling what people eat but to make people more active and that means giving decent sports and activity facilities for people to use. If you saw the changing rooms we use on a Sat for football they'd be condemned but there's no alternative. Making it affordable and giving schools the time for more PE. It's simple but it costs money and that's why nothing will change.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Ooo... they've found somebody new to bully. Good for them...
Old 11 November 2008, 01:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ahhh yes STI but sport and exercise can hurt people so that's BAD. Much better to sit on your ****, get fat and die of diabetes or similar...
Old 11 November 2008, 01:07 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One of the best burger vans I have ever used was in a layby opposite Wentworth golf club on the A30 in Virginia water!! Burgers were awsome and as the bloke in the article says sandwiches are for sandwich bars and not layby vans. Most if not all of the motorists that use these vans do not want sandwiches or salads they want a burger and a cuppa T.
Old 11 November 2008, 01:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Maybe the sandwich chains have someone lobbying for them in government and are trying to put vans out of business? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

After all, every major supermarket has at least one senior figure employed directly from a governmental background to ensure they can do what the hell they want without getting in trouble.
Old 11 November 2008, 01:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
the answer is
to let people make their own damn choices.
Old 11 November 2008, 01:22 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Absolutely nuts. Nobody forces anyone to buy food from these places. The burger vans do not 'have' to be there, so it is really a conveinience. Who the f&ck are they to say what should be served?

I really do hate this country at the moment. And I feel so sorry for all those that fought to save this country from our enemies. Look at what we have become!
Old 11 November 2008, 01:39 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame Jamie Oliver
Old 11 November 2008, 01:44 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hmm, nice greasy Sausage and Egg bap covered in red sauce for dinner today
Old 11 November 2008, 01:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If the £40k a year senior jobsworth at Guildford CC had more than one grey cell he might have come up with the idea of, for example, giving snack vans that do "healthy" food for sandal wearing truck drivers a certificate or something that they could display on their vans. This would keep everyone happy then. But oh no, let's stick our noses in instead.

d
Old 11 November 2008, 02:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if i have to work a saturday i nearly always call into the one onroute from home for a "big breakfast" and eat it when i get to work.

dinner for me today was a king size bombay bad boy and a chilled can of grolsch LOL
Old 11 November 2008, 02:22 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I couldn't believe it when I saw this in the paper this morning. FFS!

Have they really got nothing better to do than to fanny about with trivialities like this? People stop at these places because that's what they want to eat. If they wanted a feckin' salad or a panini and a latte they would go somewhere else! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

Obviously Ai would never eat at one of these places with mai refained palate.
Old 11 November 2008, 03:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
It's bigger than that people. Expand your thoughts to the ever gorwing "climate change" BS. It's going to get a lot worse than this, esp around about 2015, when our Sun gives us another Maunder Minimum. Wonder why so may Govn'ts around the world are striking up ETS systems for 2010 - 2012?

Healthy, eco-friendly, food only! Mark my words!
Interesting points about the Maunder minimum. We are in a sunspot minimum at the moment, as a Radio Amateur the number of sunspots is of interest to me since it affects radio communications and we have had a long period of none at all or very few sunspots in recent times. We are at a theoretical sunspot minimum at the moment in the eleven year cycle but to see so few at all is most unusual. Sunspots generate huge energy bursts which arrive at the Earth affecting the heavyside layers and also have a significant effect on Earth weather. During the "Maunder Minimum" mentioned by Klaatu the Earth went through a little ice age.

This business of so called Global Warming is patently an excuse by the authorities since global temperatures have not increased and have even reduced in the last ten years or so as we are told. The climate has been changing, there is no doubt about that but it sounds as though we actually need to generate more CO2 to maintain the natural greenhouse effects of the Earth's atmosphere! We can't make any more sunspots-thats for sure!

What a con it all is!

Les
Old 11 November 2008, 06:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I blame Jamie Oliver

Aye, jumped up little c*nt trying to brainwash every ******.

I can just about understand his one man crusade on healthier School dinners etc, but if he's got anything to do with the above, I'll be forced to type very strong worded obsenities on my PC while fapping about, and do absolutely nothing else to change it
Old 11 November 2008, 06:20 PM
Manny Fagnet
Scooby Regular

They should just do what they are currently doing with everything else at the moment an bump the prices right up, that'll sort the problem surely!
Old 11 November 2008, 06:22 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I once overheard someone ask if they had anything for vegetarians at one of these vans. With a totally straight face the guy replied "ketchup on bread".
Old 11 November 2008, 06:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Overheard in Council offices.........

"Ere 'arry - look at the bloody time, nearly half four - time we were outta here. Why don't we drop by George's Greasy on the 281 on the way to the Dog and Duck. We could mention our "surprise" inspection next Tuesday; should be good for a couple of decent bacon sarnies on the house!"

d
Old 11 November 2008, 07:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maybe not such a bad idea, also they should do the same to all cafes and eateries - all take aways, everywhere!

People have a choice(s) educate and encourage people, get them to take soem responsibility! not blanket banning - How NL, how foolish and short sighted

If not then this next, some more killers to get rid of;
Ban smoking
Ban driving
Ban Drinking

******* PC local govenrment for you - fools!
Old 11 November 2008, 07:59 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Quote "a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party"

Yes folks thats the definition of Communism!

**** me, why dont the ****s that make up these guidelines to **** off to China where their country oppresses its people into doing what it sees fit? If people dont want the stuff thats being sold, dont ****ing buy it. Christ its not rocket science. This nanny government ****ing makes me ****ing livid.

I swear to god this country is being run by people who have been watching too much Demolition Man...

Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

Just about hits the nail on the head.

PS. Thank **** this site *'s out my swears, this **** makes me that annoyed
Old 11 November 2008, 08:16 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I bet if they sacked just half of the interfering jobsworths infesting our local councils, they could drop our council tax bills by at least 5%
Old 11 November 2008, 10:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Why not let a "free market" decide?

Let the lentil-munchers open up some lettuce cafes and salad bars in vans on the A-diesel bypass and see how many 20-stone truckers sample their celery-style delights.

Then force the "interfering jobsworths infesting our local councils" to have any veggie leftovers anally inserted until they see common sense

mb
Old 11 November 2008, 10:05 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Ive still got a dodgy tummy from lunch time from the local snack van!
Old 11 November 2008, 10:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

:shakes head in despair:

We won't live to be 100 years old, but it will sure as hell feel like it, if this lot don't wind their necks in and stop telling us what the hell to do.

What next???
Old 11 November 2008, 11:11 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84of300
:shakes head in despair:

We won't live to be 100 years old, but it will sure as hell feel like it, if this lot don't wind their necks in and stop telling us what the hell to do.

What next???
Bang on.

Plus, on the whole, who wants to anyway?

I am all for educating people and giving information on health, whether it be about food/smoking/drinking etc. but not for taking away choice. Put the information out there, then let us decide what we want to do with our own bodies. Nobody can say they weren't warned if anything does happen.
Old 11 November 2008, 11:14 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Who's going to compensate these small businesses for their wasted stock when no-one buys it?

Quick Reply: Why don't they just mind their own bloody business